cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about deleting accounts when all services are cancelled??

I purchased a domain name and web hosting through GoDaddy about 10 years ago. It was more work than I wanted to do, so I cancelled everything. This morning when I checked my email, I saw a bunch of emails from GoDaddy confirming "my" purchase of web hosting and numerous spammy domain names (like misspellings of PayPal). The emails included "my" customer number, so I was able to log in to an account that I believed was gone because I cancelled all my services 10 years ago. I contacted GoDaddy 24/7 support to report the fraudulent use of a hacked account, but they won't help me because I don't have any clue what some PIN is that was created during the fraudulent transaction. I am of course disputing these charges with my financial institution, but this whole mess could have been avoided in the first place if GoDaddy had cancelled my account as requested rather than leaving some zombie account just waiting for a persistent hacker. 

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II
Super User II

Re: How about deleting accounts when all services are cancelled??

@Tim_Myth wrote:

I purchased a domain name and web hosting through GoDaddy about 10 years ago. It was more work than I wanted to do, so I cancelled everything. This morning when I checked my email, I saw a bunch of emails from GoDaddy confirming "my" purchase of web hosting and numerous spammy domain names (like misspellings of PayPal). The emails included "my" customer number, so I was able to log in to an account that I believed was gone because I cancelled all my services 10 years ago. I contacted GoDaddy 24/7 support to report the fraudulent use of a hacked account, but they won't help me because I don't have any clue what some PIN is that was created during the fraudulent transaction. I am of course disputing these charges with my financial institution, but this whole mess could have been avoided in the first place if GoDaddy had cancelled my account as requested rather than leaving some zombie account just waiting for a persistent hacker. 

@Tim_Myth Sorry to hear about your situation. I would contact Godaddy via the contact us page and have your receipt number ready for a refund.

----

@Tim_Myth wrote:

I contacted GoDaddy 24/7 support to report the fraudulent use of a hacked account, but they won't help me because I don't have any clue what some PIN is that was created during the fraudulent transaction.

That was my first choice Justin. The purchased domain are obviously going to be used for fraud/phishing. I would think that GoDaddy would help stop this stuff, but that's their choice and not the purpose of this post. This post in the Suggestions forum is to suggest that GoDaddy actually cancels and deletes accounts rather than letting them sit around for some hacker to discover. If push came to shove, I would argue that GoDaddy was negligent by not purging customer records.

Think about how many accounts you've created over your life... How many of those do you still use? How many of them had financial information attached to them? Should you have to change banks every time you believe you are cancelling a service just in case that service, like GoDaddy, leaves your information somewhere a criminal can get it? I trust businesses to keep my financial information secure. By leaving my account, an account that was cancelled, in a dormant state that allowed a hacker to revive it 10 years later, GoDaddy did not protect my information.

Like I stated: This whole mess could have been avoided if GoDaddy had cancelled my account 10 years ago, and that is why my suggestion to GoDaddy is to delete and purge accounts.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tim_Myth. I'm sorry you've had this happen to you. In general, we do not automatically deactivate accounts in case customers would like to use them again later. However, support can escalate a request for the account to be deactivated. Before we can do that, we usually have customers make sure all products are deleted and all payment methods removed. In a situation like this, though (where you haven't been in the account for a long time) support should still be able to help you get access using your credit card information or at the very least, get you in touch with a Billing agent who can cancel the products. I'm sorry if this didn't occur in your case. It may be worth reaching out to support again when it is convenient for you. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.