cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper V

Improving support articles

I get the impression it will help for GoDaddy to evaluate their support articles some more.

After support calls, personnel can answer questions for internal use, such as whether the problem is something that should be answered in support articles. If so then are they and if so then is there a problem finding them.

Some people do not read support articles but for those of us that do I think GoDaddy can save everyone's time by improving them. This is my suggestion that could help actually do that.

11 REPLIES 11
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Improving support articles

Hey @SamHobbs,

Thanks for the suggestions! I work with the writers of our Help content and they are constantly working hard to update and add new articles. I'll pass along your feedback but please know that we know how important it is to provide as much help as possible. 

Rachel

Employee
Employee

Hey @SamHobbs,

We're interested in learning more about what you're asking for.  How specifically would you like our articles to improve? Are you not finding answers to questions you have about GoDaddy products? Are you wanting to know when you should be calling our support team vs. when you should be looking up an article on our Help site

If you have an example or two that could really help!

Look forward to hearing from you. 

-GoDaddy Help Writer 

Helper V

@Warn,

Somehow I missed seeing the notification of replies to this. I did not intend to ignore it.

If I click on "Help" in the menu in this page I get a page with several icons. When I click on the "Domains" link one of the possibilities is "Nameservers and DNS". When I click on "Manage DNS" I get Manage DNS | Domains - GoDaddy Help US. When I click on Manage DNS for your hosting account that procedure says to: 

1. Log in to your GoDaddy account.
  2. Click Web Hosting.
  3. Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
  4. In the Tools section, click DNS Manager.

I think that procedure is for classic hosting and has not been revised for Plesk hosting. In the past, other people have found Plesk hosting versions of other articles that I could not find.

In this situation, instead of DNS Manager we can click on "GoDaddy DNS Manager" but I don't see a way to select the domain name prior to doing that; we must go there, then click on "My Domains". At that point we are at the same place that we would be if we went to Domains instead of Web Hosting. A beginner could get lost and frustrated by following the article. So the article needs revision or if there is a Plesk version we need to be able to find it. It would really help for Classic versions of articles to be clearly identified as such and a link to the Plesk version would really help.

That is not the best example since it is not too difficult to figure out what the instructions should say, but there are others. I will try to provide other examples.

Note that there is (should be) much more on the subject of domains, nameservers and DNS. Clicking on help shows very little. If there are more GoDaddy articles that are relevant then we can only find them by searching and that often does not help. There does not seem to be a directory or table of contents of GoDaddy articles.

Yes, I am definitely not finding answers. I have said so a few times in these forums.

Okay, see Solved: What is Off-site DNS? - GoDaddy Community. That is an example of where the GoDaddy article needs to be improved. After I got the responses, I tried using Off-Site DNS because I was desperate to solve a problem. What I discovered is that (apparently) Off-Site DNS is just a temporary thing for use when transferring a domain to GoDaddy. Perhaps I misunderstand but that is what it said when I tried to use it. It is confusing. The GoDaddy technical information is nearly nothing.

Helper V

I will try to find more examples that I will post here in the future.

I have also posted comments to articles to indicate that something is missing.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @SamHobbs,

We appreciate all of your feedback on our content! As you can imagine, we have a lot to cover and work to improve upon what we currently offer and add content on new and updated products. We're a small team and care a lot about making sure that we provide the best possible paths to information and successful use of our products and services. Stay tuned as we continue to improve!

Rachel

Helper V

@RachelM, Here is an example. I have five email addresses in my account. I assume that the Usage column is the format used/available but if not then I don't see a way to get an explanation. That is not the main problem though.

Assuming it is used/available then 4 accounts have 200 MB available but one has only 1 MB available. I want to switch the allocations around. When I go to help, there is no help that is specific to that page. It would really, really help if there was. Instead, all I can do is to search for "email usage allocation". When I do, I get 9 results from the community, none of which has anything to do with allocation and the tenth result is a support article that does not help.

I am saying that if someone calls asking about how to re-allocate email storage then it would help if that were to be used to identify what needs to be documented.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @SamHobbs, Thanks for the example. I'll pass it on to the team. Keep them coming. It's helpful for us to continue to improve our content in Help. Take care!

Rachel

Helper V

Thank you.

I did find a useful GoDaddy article that gave me enough to find how to change the allocation. I used Google to search the internet and Google found the article. I saw a thread somewhere asking about the Lithium engine for searching the forums. Probably that is also relevant to the help articles. Since the search engine is nearly always the only interface to finding articles (there often is not a relevant table of contents or anything like that) improving the search engine might be a major improvement. You could easily see a reduction in the number of support calls just by improving the search.

The following articles on subdomains are pretty terrible. You are calling a host a subdomain, and that is incorrect. You are coming close to the answer when you talk about "info.blog.example.com", however you don't explain that blog.example.com is the subdomain, and can have it's own nameserver and info would be a host in that domain. 

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-a-subdomain-296

https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-a-subdomain-that-points-to-an-ip-address-4080 

https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-a-subdomain-that-points-to-an-ip-address-4080

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback @cgkades! I'll pass it on to our team to take a look at improving the content. Take care!

Rachel

Employee
Employee

Hi @cgkades,

Sorry for the delay in response! I talked this over with an advanced technical support member of our domains team. We really feel like we need to keep many of our articles on these technical DNS issues as simple as possible for the common customer, and these articles meet that bar. However, it seems that you have advanced knowledge of DNS concepts, so the team wanted to send along this DNS Request for Comments link for you. This site will likely offer a more comprehensive view of DNS stats. I hope this can be a good resource.

In the upcoming year, we'll be paying close attention to our data set to determine if there is a need for a more in-depth article on subdomains and the use of nameservers with them.

Thank you for the feedback!

Help Writer