cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New

Misleading Renewal Emails, Aggressive Marketing

I'm sick of getting all these uninformative or downright misleading renewal notices. Today I received an email with the subject line "Your domains are set to cancel soon", which included a list of 20-ish domains. The thing is, only two of them were not set to renew, and we intentionally set them to not renew after getting the first notice that they were coming up for renewal.

In general, the amount of marketing GoDaddy does to current customers is ridiculous, and the amount of misleading emails customers get is increasing (see https://www.godaddy.com/community/Community-Suggestions/Annoying-Godaddy-renewal-notices/m-p/16205).

This has been an ongoing problem for a while. I can hardly get through a support chat session without the agent trying to sell me something, whether it's domain privacy, an upgraded account, or a renewal bundle "to sync up renewal dates", usually before my time-sensitive problem is even resolved!

I'm asking for an end to this. I hold a lot of domains with GoDaddy, and if it can't shape up, I'll move elsewhere.

Before you say "just opt out of X email category", no, that's not good enough. Cut the deceptive communications. Focus on my needs, not what you want to squeeze out of me, or I'm gone. I thought this would go unsaid, but here I am saying it.

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Misleading Renewal Emails, Aggressive Marketing

Hi @YCAUG. Thanks for reaching out and providing your feedback. Very sorry to hear that you've had an unpleasant experience with our support team. We will have your feedback regarding this and our emails forwarded on for further review. We're always looking for ways to get better and we appreciate taking the time to share your thoughts.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Speaking of aggressive marketing. . . I have a horror story for today. I have done business with GoDaddy for many years, and never had an experience like this before.  Color me highly disgusted.

Several days ago I noticed an unfamiliar FTP user and a handful of database users on my account. I logged into chat to ask whether there was any legitimate process that could've created those, or if the account had been hacked. I was told that this likely DID indicate a hack, and I needed to activate Website Security, or purchase an even higher level of protection. 

I had a credit for Website Security, so I activated it and deleted the suspicious accounts, but they were back today. AND my site was hanging in a very strange way. So I called Customer Service. I got someone in Business Sales--apparently they were handling tech support overflow calls. Once again I described the situation with the suspicious accounts. Once again I was told that they probably indicated a hack, and I needed a more expensive firewall service and probably Content Distributed Networking, as well. I was incredulous, as all the site metrics I could see were on the low end.

I insisted on talking to someone in actual tech support--which apparently required dialing in to a separate number.  The new-and-improved system recognized my phone number, but that was a bad thing, as I was NOT calling about my own account, but one of my clients'. I could not figure out how to give it a customer number other than the one it automatically associated with my phone number. Finally I gave up and dialed in on a VOIP number it wouldn't recognize.

The gentleman who spoke with me in Tech Support was extremely helpful and competent, and did NOT try to sell me anything. He explained that the suspicious accounts were associated with the automated backup system, and are harmless. He helped me troubleshoot the issues and eventually I figured out on my own what the problems were. It only took four hours.

I do not appreciate the attitudes of the first two people I spoke with. Had I not been a reasonably savvy and assertive person, I might have assumed that they knew what they were talking about. I did tell them both in no uncertain terms that if this was the way things are working now at GoDaddy (deluxe hosting package = Swiss Cheese without a slew of expensive add-ons),  I would be looking for a new host.

In all seriousness: MORE PRODUCTS AREN'T ALWAYS THE SOLUTION! And if that's all most folks at GD will tell you, it's time to move, because that's just a racket.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@sstromberg. I'm sorry to hear that you have also had an unpleasant experience with our support team. Quality of support is something that we take great pride in and this definitely doesn't sound like the type of experience we want customers to have. We will have your feedback forwarded on to improve how things are done. I'm glad to hear that you were able to finally get your issue sorted away though. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

I'm continuing to see new forms of misleading renewal emails. "Your domains are set to cancel soon" as the subject line with just one domain listed in the email, and it is not set to cancel. Domains with a renewal date that ARE set to cancel. It's misleading all around. Mistaking a renewing domain as canceling soon is horrible and panic-causing alone, but mistaking a canceling domain as okay since it has a renewal date listed in the email is looking for trouble.

New

Same here... and then they drop 26 emailaccounts... ?!?! Why... i called them 2 times... and they told me there is nothing wrong... nothing needs to renew... Ha ha ha!!! Now i lost 26 accounts... What a great Company that GoDaddy... but they have the power... and i can not longer efford GoDaddy so i have to go to one of the so many cheaper hosters...

Community Manager
Community Manager

Very sorry to hear that this was your experience @V-Jake. I know that sometimes this can happen if you use free email accounts with added (paid) storage. It's not always easy to see that in terms of what needs to be renewed. If you did have a free account, be sure to check under the "additional products" item in the My Products page. You may still have email credits there that you can use and maybe recover some of your emails. One thing to keep in mind though is that due to laws in the EU, we do not keep backups of emails stored on our EU servers. If you had free Workspace Email accounts on an EU server, the emails from those accounts wouldn't be recoverable, unfortunately. I hope that helps in some way.