cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Most Important Thing About Contracts

Thank you to @JMPepper and @valasaurus for your posts on contracts. Those posts reminded me of a recent reddit I saw. My lease came as a Word file instead of PDF. I made a slight change before signing it. and I wondered what others were using to handle their contracts.

Because our customer for design is the internet we don't always have the ability to physically meet our clients. We have ersatz meetings via Skye, phone, Vidyo, FaceTime, Hangouts... but to get a contract signed and filed properly is something that is very important.

The important thing we wanted to make sure we had with regard to our contracts was a third party. We never wanted to control the authentication of our own documents and I note that kind of thing is not best practice anyway. I remember a time where you would FedEx or otherwise post a contract back and forth to get it signed. I have also seen contracts that were faxed but these ways create uncontrolled documents and we didn't want that in our process.

To protect ourselves and our clients we chose EchoSign as the intermediary to sign and file our documents and approvals. We found EchoSign to be both robust and easy for clients to use and since it is a Adobe product it has a trusted name backed by customer service and support. I love and trust EchoSign so much that I use it for all contracts and approvals even in cases when the client is sitting across the table from me. In the course of a web project our customer may see three or four esign documents for their approval, review and signature. We have found EchoSign to be both reliable and efficient to process our documents.

Dispite my love of EchoSign we recently switched to CudaSign which is a Barracuda Networks product and we love CudaSign as well. I guess basically we just are in love with the workflow of electronically signed documents. For us esign products are our notary in the cloud. We use esignatures for everything from contract and proofs to non-disclosure agreements and employee reprimands.

This by no means is an endorsement for EchoSign by Abobe or CudaSign by Barracuda Networks but we have used/are using these products and we feel them to be part of best practice project workflow. Certainly there are other software solutions out there to which we are not familiar with and have not used that are equally efficient. Both EchoSign and CudaSign do have free versions of their product that are equally great without some of the paid features so you can try them out.

How is everyone else getting their contract documents signed? What policies and procedures help you get contacts signed efficiently?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Re: Most Important Thing About Contracts

Great stuff, @rd. I've used EchoSign and DocuSign and like their process.

The other mindblower for me is that the native Mac laptop "Preview" app has built in signature capabilities as well. I discovered this feature for the first time a couple of years ago and have used it a lot when the heavier capabilities of the signing services aren't needed. Here's a great article from 9to5mac on how to add a signature.

How to sign a document using the signature feature in the Apple Preview app

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Most Important Thing About Contracts

The number of clients I send documents to that are now using a similar secure signature in their workflow increases day by day. Thank you for that article link @ccarfi, I would have probably never known that. The last time I used a Apple computer was literally before the Mac line came into being.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head