cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Suggestions Wanted: Community-Wide Labels

If you've created a new thread you may have noticed the "Labels" field in the sidebar.

The Labels field is only available when you're creating a new thread. You can think of it as a way to categorize discussions within a forum. (Tags, on the other hand, categorize individual posts, including replies.)

We don't have any community-wide labels defined at the moment. That's where you come in!

What labels should we make available across the entire community? 

Examples of what we might use:

• "Help Wanted" or "Question" (for troubleshooting a specific problem)
  • "How-To" or "Guide" (for long-form posts teaching people how to do something)

Reply to this post with your ideas, and +Kudos other ideas that you like.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: Suggestions Wanted: Community-Wide Labels

Before reading the post, just from the title I thought there should be a way to distinguish someone asking a question from providing a guide.  So IMO the examples provided would be most important.

Another piece of information that would be helpful is the skill level, such as beginner, novice, expert etc.

This may not be the right place but I haven't noticed where it would show what products they are using.  As the answers may be different if they are using WordPress, Website Builder or HTML for example.

Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I agree with Nate regarding the products. Many posters may not know to state how they're building a website, and confirming this just cuts down on solution time. I'm not sure if this is best with a label, tag, etc. 

Skill level might be useful, but how would you define it? And how would you track it? Honor system? I think many people would be inclined to call themselves an expert if given the chance 🙂

Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

Agreed that a self-defined skill level might not be all that objective. Seriously, I've met people who were new to the gig but clearly proficient and with lots of aptitude -- and they would call themselves newcomers, underestimating their value.

And on the other end of the spectrum, people who've been in business as a web designer for many years, and think they are HOT, but in my opinion are JUST NOT THAT GOOD 😉

And then there's the difference between someone who actually went to college specifically in the field and maybe even has a degree in it so is clearly well-versed... vs. those who are self-taught and still know plenty when it comes to how to get the job done, because they have excellent business and customer service skills.

I wish I could suggest a clear scale that people can use to assess their experience level. For instance, number of years + number of websites they have designed + formal training + some other factors... 

I'm one of those folks who is old enough that this job didn't even exist until 20 years after I finished high school. My formal education is in engineering and CS, but all of my web training came through corporate jobs and/or other training I put myself through (not to mention just sheer number of years of bumbling my way through starting with Front Page 95...).

I thought I'd try to find some sort of article defining skill levels that we can adapt. This one is far too complicated, but maybe we can find something similar to use as a guideline for self-assignment? http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/wspg082799.pdf 

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

I understand that you're adding these tags in an attempt to keep the forum organized.  Comming from a game development community of no more than 1000 active members, I know the pain of keeping the forum organized.  I expect and hope that this community will grow way bigger than 1000 which will make it harder to manage.  Here are my suggestions:

-Godaddy Community

-Tutorials

-Questions

-Employment

In reality though, I would highly recommend compartmentalizing the community in sections... For example:

*Godaddy Community

--Bug Reports

--Suggestions

<hr>

*Tutorials

--Web Hosting

--VPS

--Web Design

--Web Development

--Other

*Questions

--Web Hosting

--VPS

--Web Design

--Web Development

--Other

*Employment

--Resume/Portfolio

--Looking for/Hiring

*Discussion

--Services

--Scripting language(server side/client side)

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

This more of a new suggestion than a reply and maybe too complicated to implement but here it is.

If we do end up separating the community by sections... We can allow posters to define their post/question as <design, development, js, html, aspx, php, administration, content management, etc... [...]>.  Then, every kudos they receive from those post will give them points in those respective sections which will eventually allow us to quickly see how well verse a community member is based on their post.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
Community Manager
Community Manager

You're reading my mind. 🙂

The plan is to have pre-determined labels across the entire community, plus labels on a forum-by-forum basis. So the labels in "Development" will be different from the labels in "Getting Traffic".

Super User III Super User III
Super User III

@valasaurus That is a good point about self rating, I believe there are other systems for that.  But I meant a skill level rating in regards to who the information would be geared twards.  So for a question it would show how detailed of an answer is needed, and for a guide it says who should be able to do this...