Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

"award winning" customer service?

well, just for grins, let’s say
you’re a Voiceover Guy
you’ve had a website for more than ten years,
the most important part of the website being the audio demos,
where potential clients could actually hear some of the work you’ve done.
and along the way you’ve heard some people say they couldn't hear the demos
and you repeatedly called the website builder and hoster for help
and they said they’d fix it but never did

so you spent the summer creating new demos for all your voiceover work
and wanted to make sure they could be heard on your website
so you called the hosting company and again asked for help
and they told you again they’d try to fix the website
but you never heard from them
so you wrote a detailed letter on November 1, 2016, and sent it to the company’s
CEO, Blake Irving,
Chairman of the Board Charles Robel
and Chief Customer Officer Barb Rechterman
then a month went by with no response from anybody
so you spoke to a senior engineer, Jason G, sent him all the information,
heard him say he’d investigate and get back to you
But you never heard from him again—-even after sending him 6 emails.

So you have these beautiful new demos ready to launch in January
to launch your career anew
and the company you’ve been with for all this time hasn't fixed the problem
that many people (especially Apple users)
can’t even hear the demos
and hadn't even bothered to respond
to all the calls, emails and letters asking for help..
and you still had eight months left on your agreement with the web hosting company
to whom you had paid hundreds of dollars in advance

would YOU even consider spending any more time, let alone money with Go Daddy?

I mean, really

and the award winning customer service"   tech supervisor JasonG@godaddy.com asked me two weeks agomto send along my problems and he would take care of them....no word back from him or anybody else at godaddy...even though I've emailed him six times to seewhat ever happened

"award winning" customer service?   it's a joke

7 REPLIES 7
Employee
Employee

Re: "award winning" customer service?

HI @richatl

Thank you for your post. I read your last post as well in regards to this concern. I'm sorry to hear that the issue hasn't been resolved. Maybe I can be of assistance. 

Not exactly sure what would cause the media files not to play properly beyond codecs and file formatting so maybe I can get some information from you as far as what has already been found. 

Has anyone found the root cause of the issue?  What type of formats are you using?  What sort of testing has been done to narrow down the issue?

Have you tried alternatives? Try uploading one of the file via youtube and embedding the player to the page.  This may narrow down if it is the codecs of the player or the formatting of the file that is causing no or low audio to be produced. If it has the same results via youtube, it would be due to the media files themselves. If not there may be a compatibility issue with codecs. 

What software do you use to record your files and what settings do you apply to them? In example, file extension, bit rate, Mbps, etc. 

Are you able to provide a link to one of the examples of this?

Looking forward to your response.

Best wishes!

-Techfly 

Thank you for your response and suggestions, TechFly

I am not a techie
simply use Audacity to record
normalize

and send the MP3 to potential clients

One of my clients is Siriusly Sinatra on SiriusXM
…they send me copy
I record on Audacity, normalize and send them the MP3
there has never been a problem with them
nor with any MP3 auditions I have sent along

In the past I have not uploaded anything to my GoDaddy webpage myself
dickklinger.net
have been asked to send the MP3s and tech support has uploaded them to my site

I can hear the demos when I access them on my iMac desktop
but not from iPhone or iPad

Your suggestion of going to a YouTube method seems complicated to me
and, for what I am paying (which includes half an hour of tech support monthly)
I have always thought it should be simpler

I have another eight months of my agreement with Go Daddy remaining
and am hesitant to even try to get my four new demos onto the site
and yet I also believe that GoDaddy should be able to upload them and make them play
Otherwise the eight months remaining are wasted
as have the ten plus years of trying to get things right on my GoDaddy site

However…I am also prepared to just let that go and start anew with somebody else

have spoken with several people who design, host and maintain websites like the one want
and have no trouble making things work

Eight months of paid website seems now a small price to pay from the frustration I am facing,
along with the continuing dissatisfaction and lack of any response from GoDaddy
—top to bottom

Again, I appreciate your reply and am attaching a couple of the MP3s

...actually it doesnt appear that I can send you the MP3 demos through this page

but perhaps you can access them on my GD webpage or give me another email address

to which I might send them

bg_ro0x_1024.jpeg

GoDaddy:

dickklinger.net

Thank you for your response and suggestions, TechFly
I am not a techie
simply use Audacity to record
normalize
and send the MP3 to potential clients
One of my clients is Siriusly Sinatra on SiriusXM
…they send me copy
I record on Audacity, normalize and send them the MP3
there has never been a problem with them
nor with any MP3 auditions I have sent along

In the past I have not uploaded anything to my GoDaddy webpage myself
dickklinger.net
have been asked to send the MP3s and tech support has uploaded them to my site
I can hear the demos when I access them on my iMac desktop
but not from iPhone or iPad
Your suggestion of going to a YouTube method seems complicated to me
and, for what I am paying (which includes half an hour of tech support monthly)
I have always thought it should be simpler
I have another eight months of my agreement with Go Daddy remaining
and am hesitant to even try to get my four new demos onto the site
and yet I also believe that GoDaddy should be able to upload them and make them play
Otherwise the eight months remaining are wasted
as have the ten plus years of trying to get things right on my GoDaddy site
However…I am also prepared to just let that go and start anew with somebody else
have spoken with several people who design, host and maintain websites like the one want
and have no trouble making things work
Eight months of paid website seems now a small price to pay from the frustration I am facing,
along with the continuing dissatisfaction and lack of any response from GoDaddy
—top to bottom
Again, I appreciate your reply and am attaching a couple of the MP3s

...actually it doesnt appear that I can send you the MP3 demos through this page
but perhaps you can access them on my GD webpage or give me another email address
to which I might send them

Employee
Employee
Solution

HI @richatl

I reviewed the site and did some research and some troubleshooting and I believe I have found why the audio is not functioning properly on the mobile devices.

Firstly, I tried my own test with your audio. You are correct the audio has been recorded and saved properly, the files themselves would not have any issue playing on any device that supports mp3's.

I looked at your site from my mobile device and notice that the site was displaying desktop mode instead of the mobile site. I also could not play your audio from my android device. Also noticing that the current live site is built on version 6 instead of v7.

I opened my test account and went into the mobile editor to add the test file to my mobile v6 test site, to see if it would play any different within a mobile site, and noticed that there was no option to add this function like there is on the desktop.

So I researched why the function wasn't there and here's what I found in a nutshell. V6 uses a shockwave flash player to play the audio on the site, which at the time it was built was the industry standard. Unfortunately, with the boom of smartphones and mobile devices, shockwave flash is becoming obsolete due to its incompatibility on Android and Apple iOS. This is the reason the issue only occurring on mobile devices.

I have 2 potential solutions. Each solution has a link at the bottom to my v6 and v7 test pages to show the results of the solution.

Staying with v6
Please note: The following solution is a workaround and is intended only as informational. We do not assist with the implementation of 3rd party html or support the use of 3rd party software.

As v6 is now an unsupported platform and will no longer receive any updates there will be no way to fix the issue with the compatibility of the player with mobile devices. However there is a way to stay with v6 and play your audio on the current website. To accomplish this you will need to host the audio through a 3rd party site. One that I found that offers this service for free and is easy to use is Archive.org. I've included instructions of how to upload and embed your audio from archive.org

1. first you will need to create a free account by going to https://archive.org/account/login.createaccount.php

2.Once the account is created go here to upload your audio file
https://archive.org/create/
and click Upload files

3.Once the page is created click the share icon (It looks like a square with an arrow coming out of it). This will open a box with 2 sections of script text. Highlight and Copy (Command+C on mac) the entire column of text in the first section.

4.Go to your Godaddy account and launch the page designer for your website.

5. In the designer, at the top, under the popular section, click and drag the Content Block into a dropzone.

6.Once the content block opens, at the bottom left, click the "< >" symbol. This will open a HTML box. Paste (Command+V on mac) the script text in to the box. If done properly you should now see the same text as what you copied from archive.org.

7.Click OK. This will now show an embedded audio player on your website.

8.Repeat steps 2-7 as necessary.

9.Once you are satisfied with the page design click publish and publish all updates.

My v6 Test Page (please compare on mobile device and desktop)
http://wsb6.zztek.net/

Moving to v7
Version 7 was built with mobile industry standards in mind. It offers a built in audio player that is will play on both desktop and browsers.

If you are on the business or business plus plan for the website builder you currently have you can upgrade at no cost to test the designer and have access to the audio player. This feature is not available on the personal plans unfortunately.

If you choose to upgrade to try the version 7 you can start designing the new site while your current live site remains viewable on the internet as long as you do not publish over the live site. None of the original content will move due to the separate versions are built with completely different engines which makes it impossible to automatically move the content and does require a manual redesign.

To try the new designer please follow these steps:

1. Login to your Godaddy account.

2. Click Website Builder/Instant Page

3. In the dropdown click Manage next your your website.

4. At the top click the orange button "Switch this account to v7"

5. Now I recommend you start with a blnak them for the test. At the top of the screen click Themes.

To choose a blank theme click "Other" from the categories at the left. Then choose either "Blank Canvas Black" or "Blank Canvas White"

6. Hover above the theme and click Select Theme

7. Click Continue.

8.Click Edit Site to enter the designer.

Once you are in the designer please follow the follwoing steps to upload the audio file to the builder:

1.Click on the Audio Player (Music notes symbol)  within the left menu bar, this will place a player onto the page.

2.Click inside the audio box, and then click Manage Playlist. (The music note symbol)
To add files:
Click the Add Audio button.
Browse to find the file on your local drive or drop it on to the screen.

3.Once the audio is added, remove the default track from the playlist

4. Click Save

That's all there is to it. If you are satisfied with the v7 designer you can either continue redesigning or go back and choose another theme for an updated look.

My v7 Test page (please compare on mobile device and desktop)
http://wsb7.zztek.net/

I hope that this information is helpful as I know that having to move services can be costly and time consuming. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Best wishes!
-Techfly

Hey TechFly-

Thanks for your research and suggestions.

Perhaps if somebody at GoDaddy had given me this information years ago I might be inclined to follow through.

However, nobody in Customer Service, Tech Support or the three top GoDaddy officers I contacted  acknowledged the problem, let alone offered to fix the problem or suggest alternatives.  And I thought I spent the money on contracts and services, which should have included advice and alternatives,  all along the way.  Obviously I was wrong. 

For me, right now, the best answer is to forget about any changes to my GoDaddy account, just eat the eight remaining months of the agreement, already paid for,   and buy the services, talent and creativity of ABGD (AnyBodyButGoDaddy) to create a new website, upload my new demos and maintain them.

Again, I appreciate YOUR taking the time you did to come up with a couple possible solutions.  Unfortunately, it's way too late and far too complicated and costly.  I thought I had hired GoDaddy to do this for me when I initially signed up.  Obviously I was greatly mistaken.

Employee
Employee

HI @richatl

Happy to assist but sorry to hear that you would prefer to move your services but if it means that it will be a better move for your business then I wish you the best. In regards to the research, not many people would have been able to find the answer as to why it wasn't working or how to work around it without having an advanced troubleshooting knowledge. Even if they had, the only solution they could officially provide is to suggest to move to v7, which from your previous comments has already been suggested to you. The nice thing about the forums is we can make suggestions on an individual level vs that of an official level as through our support. This was a bit of challenge as well to get all the info together. I hope that it will help others in the future which may have experience the same issue. Best wishes richatl. I hope that you move proves beneficial.

Kind Regards,

-Techfly