cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Domain transfer in process needs improvement

GoDaddy is a very big player in the domain name space. I know, as I used to run a registrar. I got out of domain names in 2005 but I have kept a small portfolio. I recently decided to move from my old registrar to GoDaddy as they appear to have a very good system with lots of support available.

However, I have been very surprised on how clunky and unintuitive their website is. I am having to spend a great deal of time on the phone to support (which is good and available 24/7). It seems that the website has grown organically over the years and needs a lot of work to make it easier to use. e.g I wish to transfer a domain from my old host to GoDaddy. To do this , I log into my account. I go to My products. I see a list of my domains. The My products menu does not have any sub options. I then go to manage All and get a new page. Now the Domains menu DOES haver a number of options, including Transfer In. I select this and I see the status of my current transfers but no options for adding a transfer in. I look in all the menus, but no, no options for transfer in. I then call support. They tell me to click on the GoDaddy logo to go back to the main home page, outside my account area, then go to the Domains menu there and select Domain Transfers. Once I go through this route, yes I do see it.

I did this but all the transfers I tried failed, yet if you do a whois lookup, you see that the old ISP has retagged them GODADDY. I then call support again and after lots of being transferred and calls back etc, I eventually get 1 or 2 retagged. After a few more calls I hope to get the rest done.

This is only one example. Trying to set up email forwarding also required 2 calls to tech support. This stuff should be seriously easy for a company like Godaddy.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Domain transfer in process needs improvement

Hi @OPS-UK. Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear you had such a difficult time. I agree that it would make sense to have a way to initiate/purchase a transfer directly in your Domain Manager. I'll make sure to get this suggestion passed on. 

As for the "tag" issue you mentioned, I'm guessing you were transferring in .UK domains. Usually, this is an automated process after you get your current registrar to update the IPS tag for the domain. You wouldn't normally have to call in for that. My guess is that there was some type of unexpected error in the process. Still, I can understand how that would be a frustrating experience. 

If there are any further technical issue that the community can try to help out with (like with email forwarding), I'd encourage you to post that subject as it's own thread. Someone may be able to provide suggestions on how you can move forward.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted
New

Re: Domain transfer in process needs improvement/?isc=gdcommment

Thanks for the swift response.

I have identified a number of areas which could be greatly improved. I am happy to share if you are interested.

As for the transfer, I have done a number of domains. The loosing ISP changes the tag within half an hour but I am finding on a number of occasions I have to call up to get these done as they keep stating transfer failed, despite the having been changed successfully. If they have failed, this is entirely down to GoDaddy, so you guys should be sorting it out without me having to raise it. Also, even after successful transfer I still see the domains i my portal listed as failed transfer:

Not a big deal but can be misleading, especially when I am trying to transfer in lots of names.

With a small ISP, I would expect such errors but it does surprise me that GoDaddy has these issues.

Regards,

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Domain transfer in process needs improvement/?isc=gdcommment

Hi @OPS-UK. You're welcome to share any feedback you like. I will pass it on appropriately. 

As for the issues you've been having, I did a little digging and what you've described can happen if you have the IPS tag changed before completing the $0 purchase of the transfer for that domain in our system. Please try purchasing the free transfer before having your current provider update the IPS tag. That should alleviate the problems you've been having. If not, then you may need to continue working with our care team to investigate why this keeps happening for you. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.