cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GoDaddy Service Status Page

How is it, that in the middle of a two or three hour email outage, your System Status page http://status.godaddy.com showed "All systems operational" with a big green obnoxious check mark next to it?  This has happened reapetedly and really needs to be explained.  Please do so now. 

And please don't tell me your engineers or whomever were busy elsewhere.  System status pages in any modern, well-managed data- center are updated automatically.

For days after every outage we've ever experienced there was no indication on this page that any outage had occurred.  Can you explain this, please? 

I eagerly await your answer.

Karl

12 REPLIES 12

Re: GoDaddy Service Status Page

Greetings, @countZZero and thanks for bringing your concern to our community. While an outage may effect a customer or a group of customers (and understandably be very important to them) it may not rise to a level of a System Status Alert.

For a personal example, I live in a rural city of 50,000 people and a few years ago the primary fiber optic cable to my town was cut by a work crew. We were without reliable Internet Service for 3 days while it was re-spliced (the other access paths were overloaded and intermittent). This was a subject of discussion and irritation for everyone in town for days, but if I talked to someone outside of my county, they had no idea anything was wrong at all.

The point is we have to pick and choose what rises to a System Level Alert and what doesn't. If you see an alert, you know the issue is serious and wide-ranging and that we are on it - usually a little patience will pay off.

However, if you are having trouble and don't see an alert, it is likely a unique-to-you or a more localized issue and you should contact support immediately for help and instructions.

I hope this helps.

Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

The mid-level support guy I talked to said his issue queue had been full for the past hour.  Seems like this should be reflected on the System Status page.  The aging hardware and poorly maintained software in pod 14 have become a nearly epidemic problem.  How many thousands of people need to be effected before even an amber indicator is posted on the Status Page?  What exactly is the threshold?  When was the last time there was anything less than "All Systems Operational" on the Status Page? And be specific. 

Still waiting for a reply.

Highlighted

Another day passes, and I'm still waiting...

A year and a half has passed since I first asked this question.  It has never been answered, so I'll ask again:

The mid-level support guy I talked to said his issue queue had been full for the past hour.  Seems like this should be reflected on the System Status page.  The aging hardware and poorly maintained software in pod 14 have become a nearly epidemic problem.  How many thousands of people need to be effected before even an amber indicator is posted on the Status Page?  What exactly is the threshold?  When was the last time there was anything less than "All Systems Operational" on the Status Page? And be specific. 

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hey @countZZero,

Thanks so much for pointing out that we have work to do on our service status page! We did make some improvements in December last year and definitely have more to do. I've forwarded your posts to the team to take a look. Hope to have more to share later this year. Take care!

Rachel

I just spent an HOUR on the phone with support, only to find out that GoDaddy is having a global problem with Managed WordPress hosting, causing 502 Bad Gateway errors every time I try to update a webpage.  Status page shows "All Systems Operational" - seriously???? 

I'm finding that about four of my sites all crash at once for a few minutes yet the Godaddy status always shows it's good. I've learned over the years not to trust that thing. This has happened twice this week. I call Godaddy...wait for a person and by the time they show up, the sites start coming back up.

I understand that things can happen with a server and "burp" once in a while, yet twice in a week shows something needs to be fixed there.

Helper II
Helper II

Dear Godaddy Management,

CountZZero and other customers here have made an excellent point.

We mentioned pretty much the same problem in the post below (last entry).

Well, GoDaddy, whomever is listening, please know our migration to another hosting company has begun. We can’t afford to waste our money with you any longer - much less hearing over and over your excuses or waiting out your slow reaction to client’s needs or issues.

You may be thinking: “Pssst, he’s only one customer of many, who cares about them leaving?” Well, the reality is, even the greatest ships can sink one small leak at a time.

I fully disagree with GoDaddy's stance here in that "it may not rise to the level of a System Status Alert".  If some people suffer a service outage, then that needs to be transparent to the customers and to anyone else who is interested in knowing, such as those like myself trying to figure out if a customer of GoDaddy is indeed seeing an outage, or there was a misconfiguration in which I would offer my help, free of charge to get the website back online. Because GoDaddy shows "no outages", i would normally consider this a situation where I would end up wasting my time that i could otherwise charge money for other paying projects instead of helping out a non-profit organization who doesn't have a lot of technical experience.

GoDaddy really should make this automatic and be more transparent to its customers. Vultr, Digitalocean and many other companies do this, why can't GoDaddy?

Another late night failure to be able to upload files to my ftp.

The last time this happened I almost panicked thinking something was wrong with my username or password. But then by some miracle everything was working the next day with the same exact settings. And right now guess what? The Godaddy Status page says everything is gravy and working perfect. 

Well no guys it AIN'T. And if it ain't for everyone then there should be at least SOME indicator that tells me the problem is on YOUR end NOT mine.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Everyone. Thanks again for all the feedback. To reiterate what was mentioned above, when our customers are experiencing problems, we want them to get help for those problems. The trouble with posting any system issue on our status page is that it can lead to some customers not getting help because they assume the issue that's posted is what they're encountering. This leads to additional frustration when the issue is removed from the status page but their problem isn't resolved. There's often not a way for us to provide enough specific information to sufficiently explain which customers are affected and which aren't. This is why only large scale issues are posted to the status page. However, we're always looking for ways to improve and we do appreciate the feedback. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.