cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

How useful is a public community?

I don't know about others but a public community has very little use to me. I can't imagine the search engine visibility GoDaddy has but certainly it is above that of my own website, brand and advertising. I see a lot of people putting their brand, listing their website and even who have their brand in their username. I'm not complaining about that but it makes me wonder if their brand is searched will the first thing a potential client see is something a poster might have said to what they hoped was a limited audience?

It is my hope that within this community we can share best practice, discuss pricing strategies, inform the community and have unfiltered (with regard to disseminating information) without the threat that a client would see the information.

I know that I'd be reluctant to post information on a public community. My suggestion is that the community be made only so that only members can view topics. Maybe it's just me?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How useful is a public community?

Thanks for the post, Roy. It sounds like you're looking for a private forum to discuss (relatively) sensitive business topics. I'm happy to say that this is something we're planning to launch in the near future. Smiley Happy

Personally I think it's important for us to have a mix of public and private spaces. For example, public is good for open discussions and helping troubleshoot technology issues.

For anyone else reading this thread: Feel free to chime in. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

I am certainly expecting it to be useful -- I've already connected with a few people that have shared very relevant and useful opinions (including you, RD). 

I do agree that we need some attention to what is public and what is private. I learned long ago never to publicly post something I would not want to see published elsewhere (in terms of negative info about anyone, whether client, partner, competitor, or...). And I think there may be some details I don't really want my own clients to see, in terms of discussions around how to manage clients. So we'll have to consider ways to keep some sections open only to sub-groups (how, exactly, I do not know...). 

But surely this is not the first forum that needs to solve this problem, so we just have to find another "worked example" that seems to meet the needs of the community, and take our cues from that.

Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I agree with Andy - I think a mix of public and private spaces is important. The public will benefit from general information about domain and hosting management. But I'd love the "Pro Lounge" to be restricted to just members (or just GoDaddy Pros) if possible.

The Community seems pretty private.  So private I couldn't find my way back.  Good thing I still had the email invite.  A link on godaddy.com would help.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

@tdewein wrote:

The Community seems pretty private.  So private I couldn't find my way back.  Good thing I still had the email invite.  A link on godaddy.com would help.

godaddy.com/community

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Community Manager
Community Manager

@tdewein wrote:

Hey @tdewein, You can also find a link to Community in GoDaddy Help. We just launched recently so would love to know what you're interested in for the Community. Thanks!

Rachel

Awesome!  Actually I've saved the link on my toolbar so I'm good.  Keep up the good work?