cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Stop Random Capitalization

I made my username @rd on purpose as I'm sure @webdiva, @RachelM, @D3, @MikeOne and countless others all did as well? In the last couple of weeks I'm seeing @rd, @webdiva and the like and it bothers me astecically. I understand that this is a small thing I'm just trying to wrap my head around why there is processing are done to usernames? Can't they just be left to their native capitalization and format? I would understand if it were consistent but some places I see rd and others I see Rd so I'm lost. Maybe this is one of those things that just bothers me? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Stop Random Capitalization

Hey Roy, Not sure why that's happening and it is strange. Sorry about that. Let me try to find out and I'll get back to you. Thanks! Rachel
Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

From what I saw, it's only on the initial attribution for a post (upper left where the avatar and rank are listed). So maybe it's just trying to capitalize everyone's name, since it's being listed in isolation (not as a mention in someone's post).

Super User I

The places I have seen this capitalization is:

• Community categories (by founder_rank Rd)
  • Profile page
    • Rd Community Founder (username)
    • Latest Posts By Rd (heading)
    • Kudos Given To (All resulting Community usernames)
    • Kudos From (All resulting Community usernames)
    • Posts I Kudoed (Author and Latest Post)
    • My Friends (Under User) Just noticing the Online status by the way, that's cool (Yes, I am my own Friend but that's another story)
  • Posts (Rd Community Founder)
  • As my public folder name when in Insert Photos (Public Rd) but oddly not in the dropdown list until I select Hidden rd becomes Hidden Rd
  • Messages (From)

...and probably some other place I haven't noticed it? It is not a huge issue, I just wondered why if popped up all of a sudden. It appears so sporadic that it was done in error? Typically this kind of capitalization would be done where values like namefirst_namegiven_namesir_namelast_name are displayed. Not that I think it should be used for name either. Mostly I just don't understand the method or reasoning of capitalizing usernames?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Super User I

Additionally, why are Tags being capitalized?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@rd wrote:

I made my username @rd on purpose as I'm sure @webdiva, @RachelM, @D3, @MikeOne and countless others all did as well? In the last couple of weeks I'm seeing @rd, @webdiva and the like and it bothers me astecically. I understand that this is a small thing I'm just trying to wrap my head around why there is processing are done to usernames? Can't they just be left to their native capitalization and format? I would understand if it were consistent but some places I see rd and others I see Rd so I'm lost. Maybe this is one of those things that just bothers me? 

Hey @rd, This should be fixed now. Would you please double check and let me know. Thanks for your patient and flagging the issue in the first place. 

Rachel

Super User I

Looks great in every place I have checked.