• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

502 Bad Gateway Error - GoDaddy Refuses to Acknowledge / Fix?

I have had this problem a few times and this time it has screwed me out of thousands of dollars. 

To be clear, I have built and host 25 websites with godaddy managed wordpress, use the same theme for most of them (the7), rarely have issues.  Overall I'm very happy with everything GoDaddy, but this particular problem is so frustrating I can't take it anymore.    GoDaddy customer service refuses to acknowledge the issue.

The issue:

I can work on the website for a few hours with zero problems, everything smooth.  Then out of nowhere, I will start getting 502 bad gateway errors if I try to publish any kind of update. 

I'll wait 5 minutes, refresh, everything appears normal, I will add one word to a text box, click publish, and then 502 gateway error.  

If I wait half hour, I can do 5-10 edits, then inevitably I will start getting 502's again. 

What could I possibly be doing wrong to cause this kind of sequence of events? 

Example:

Work for 1.5 hours, adding photos, changing text to a wordpress website.  

Click publish on my next edit, 502 gateway error

Wait 2 minutes, refresh, try again to publish the edit, 502 gateway error.

Wait 30 minutes, refresh, able to publish the edit.  Make 3 more edits no problem.  On the 4th edit, 502 gateway error. 

Wait until tomorrow, refresh, able to make unlimited edits for 1 hour, then next edit 502 gateway error.

On the phone with customer service for an hour - the rep is able to reproduce the error, puts me on hold, then says "maybe it's your internet", I explain that I can reproduce the problem when I connect to different internet. 

Is anyone else experiencing 502 gateway errors after working on a website for a few hours at a time? 

12 REPLIES 12
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: 502 Bad Gateway Error - GoDaddy Refuses to Acknowledge / Fix?

Hey there @dave9!

I would be curious to know if you're using the Sucuri firewall or maybe Cloudflare. Firewalls can sometimes lock out an IP if a lot of changes are made and the IP address making the changes isn't recognized.

Most of the time a 502 is just a temporary fault that clears up after a few minutes, as you've seen. Since you're on a shared hosting platform, it may just be that the resources getting to your server isn't enough and the connection isn't fully made. That's what a 502 is... you can't connect to the origin server.

I had the same issues on the MWP platform. While it's a really good platform, I suggest it only for those who have limited experience with WordPress. I switched over to Business hosting and haven't had the same issue since.

As to a solution, I'm not sure. That's more for the server admins to figure out. I can only offer practical advice.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New

Hey @MrVapor - not using any firewalls, and I have  the "Pro Managed Wordpress" hosting package which I believe is above & more expensive than the business hosting. 

If GoDaddy would tell me "this is happening because your hosting package is insufficient" I would take that answer with a smile. 

Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III

Hey @dave9,

If you're on the Pro Managed WordPress that was in beta and can no longer be purchased on the front of site, then they have their own team you can speak with directly (last I knew, anyway.) Call into support, ask for the Pro Managed WordPress team, and don't accept any other courses of action until you talk with them. They should be able to take a look and give a definitive answer at the least.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

New

I am constantly getting 502 errors on my site for the last few weeks.  Refreshing does get me to my site, but I have no idea why this is happening now.  The only modifications has been the automatic upgrade to WP5 and I am on managed WP hosting.

Hi, 

I have the exact problem. That happens recently too much. Approximately 2 days, it shows 502 error. Sometimes it gets back to normal but when I post smt, it happens again, How can we solve it Smiley Sad

Having the exact same issue, and have chatted with them in excess of 3-4 hours now, still without a solution. Have any luck figuring out what the deal is? I have eliminated the possibility that it's my internet, theme, plugins or browser, and am at a loss for how else to handle this issue. 

New

What is the contents of the htaccess file?

Developer and Creator GeGeek

Having the same problem. Same exact details as above.

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hi @everyone.  Thank you for being apart of the Godaddy Community.

This particular 502 issue is a generic server response letting you know we couldn't process the request.  As someone mentioned above, this is a temporary issue. This is due to the resources on your particular account being at maximum capacity at the time of the request.  This is sometimes related to plugins/themes that are running at capacity or above, or inconsistently.  If you seem to experience this often, make sure to give support a call so that we can review your cases individually.

All the best,
    Edward
    GoDaddy Hosting Support
    New

Give me a break, everyone knows here that calling support doesn't do anything. The people on support can't fix the issue and everytime we ring support, they like to push the problem back to the customer, its never there fault.

Developer and Creator GeGeek
    Super User III
    Super User III

Here's the thing:

A lot of people don't take the time to actually vet and examine the WordPress plugins/themes they put on their site. Many, and I mean a ton, are poorly coded. This poor coding results in what are known as "zombie processes," which eat up your resources and cause 502 errors on the server level. 

No matter how good or bad the hosting server is, it cannot compensate for poor coding, poor decisions, and poor design. 

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @GeGeek. I'm sorry if that's been your experience. To clarify, sometimes the issue is content related and can not be addressed by our support teams. It's unfortunate, but sometimes our platform isn't the best fit for a specific site. If the problem truly is with our system though, that's always something our hosting team should look like. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.