• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

503 errors and 'error establishing a database connection'

I'm not sure what's going on with my Wordpress blog, but I'm getting a number of 503 errors when accessing the blog or admin pages.  I'm not super technical so I don't really understand what the problem is. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it. Today I got the following errors:

Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): (42000/1203): User XXXX already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

XXXX/wp-db.php on line 1531

Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in XXX/wp-db.php on line 1562

Warning: mysql_connect(): User XXXX already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /XXXX/wp-db.php on line 1562

Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at XXXX

This could mean your host’s database server is down.

• Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    • Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    • Are you sure that the database server is running?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Community Manager

Hi @tizwiz7. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! 503 errors generally indicate an issue where the website is using more resources than what is available for the account. This is usually pretty uncommon for Managed WordPress accounts. When it does happen, it's usually related to having too many database connections, which would go with the errors that you're seeing. If you're seeing this consistently, it could be an indication that your site isn't a good fit for that platform. You might have to consider moving to a platform that has more resources, such as a Business Hosting account or a VPS. The best thing to do in that case is to connect with our customer care team so they can double check to make sure there are no problems with the hosting itself and consult with you on the best way forward. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Community Manager

Hi @tizwiz7. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! 503 errors generally indicate an issue where the website is using more resources than what is available for the account. This is usually pretty uncommon for Managed WordPress accounts. When it does happen, it's usually related to having too many database connections, which would go with the errors that you're seeing. If you're seeing this consistently, it could be an indication that your site isn't a good fit for that platform. You might have to consider moving to a platform that has more resources, such as a Business Hosting account or a VPS. The best thing to do in that case is to connect with our customer care team so they can double check to make sure there are no problems with the hosting itself and consult with you on the best way forward. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

I contacted support today and they had no advice other than to wait and monitor it for 24 hours. I'm getting really frustrated and considering moving to a different host. 

I'm dealing with the same thing on one of my sites under the Managed Wordpress Plan. The site is still very new with very little traffic so I can't see how I'm using too many resources. What else could be the problem? 

The URL is themotopages.com