• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper II
    Helper II

Backup Feature Does Not Work! (Managed WordPress Hosting)

Every time we try to retrieve a website backup using GoDaddy's Managed Wordpress Hosting Backup Dashboard, we discover that it either doesn't work or we need to "click the hell" out of the "Restore" button in order to get some kind of response.

When we do get a response, it's usually a message telling us to try again and no reason given for the malfunction!  

And finally, when a backup does start up, we get a "fake" progress bar that makes us laugh every time we see it. Further, we never get a message that says: "Backup Complete." It's up to the customer to find out if the backup was successful.

We have called GoDaddy Hosting Support (many, many times) about this issue and have been told by several agents that they agree with our findings without providing any details on what they're doing to fix the above.

So, GoDaddy, why don't you do something about it and, meanwhile, provide your customers with an account credit ($) considering that you've wasted a considerable amount of our time and money.

Now, let's see how long it takes for GoDaddy to respond to this message. Cheers!

22 REPLIES 22
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Re: Backup Feature Does Not Work! (Managed WordPress Hosting)

Hi @CXLeader,

Responding to your post there;

Progress Bar:

=====

=====

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @CXLeader,

Progress Bar:

==========

==========

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @CXLeader,

Progress Bar:

================= 99.999%==

==========================

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @CXLeader,

Progress Bar:

=================almost done I think===

===================================

Ah..... yes;

learn about and try using wget tool on the command line. Cat Happy

Have a nice day. I don't work here, but I should.................

Helper II
    Helper II

@Anonymous</a>

You misunderstood our issue. Your information does not address it

Thanks for trying, anyway!
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @CXLeader,

'Misunderstood'? Then perhaps I did, I thought you needed to make a site backup? No? 

It's no good flogging a dead horse, using something that doesn't work well.

I'm not going to waste any time explaining that Once upon a time, long ago, yes, even before Wordpress.......

There were real system admins and developers, and they used tools like wget................

Enjoy your day..... Smiley Frustrated

Helper II
    Helper II

@Anonymous</a>

Again, thank you. We're not trying to backup our website using a 3rd party solution at this time. We're trying to RETRIEVE a previous, healthy-state backup using GoDaddy's MWP Backup Dashboard. The backup is ALREADY in GoDaddy's servers, we just can't retrieve it. It's a service we're paying for and it just doesn't work. Very unreliable.

Have you used GoDaddy's MWP Backup Dashboard before? If not, then perhaps you need to try it to understand our issue. 

And yes, we agree with your statement: "It's no good flogging a dead horse, using something that doesn't work well." That's why we're already evaluating other companies to host our website(s).

PS: Going forward, we will also consider using a 3rd party solution to backup our website, including wget, filezilla, etc.

Have an awesome week. Danke Schön! 

Highlighted
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Hi @CXLeader,

With all due respect I hardly think of 'wget' as a 'third party' solution. That's a bit of an oxymoron to someone who uses Wordpress and all it's plugins, themes etc, etc........ ad infinitum.....

"Have you used GoDaddy's MWP Backup Dashboard before? If not, then perhaps you need to try it to understand our issue. "

That's a bit arrogant isn't it? I do not need to use a CMS period. I prefer to hand code and I used CMS way back when I was a boy. Even then I used the very best in their class, Adobe MUSE and Dreamweaver. I wouldn't touch Wordpress with a barge pole TBH. But to each their own.......

The one thing I do agree with is that if paying for a service, I expect it to work well. I will stick with my command line tools because they have been around a very long time for two very good reasons..... they work exceptionally well, and they work exceptionally fast.

My weekends are always awesome 

Helper II
    Helper II

Hi @Anonymous</a>

Glad you're an expert! It appears GoDaddy can use your help.

Meanwhile, let's see what they can do to help our situation. 

Cheers!

Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I

Hi @CXLeader,

If possible, BEFORE starting the backup, allocate as many system resources as are allowed.  Increase your wp memory AND php memory.  Add processing time in your .user.ini file.  Backups are read/write intensive and you need all of the resources you can get.  Keep in mind that many wp sites have thousands of files depending on the site age/activity.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
    Helper II
    Helper II

Hi @JMPepper,

Thanks for the tip. Will keep it in mind.

Please notice, our original request (above) is asking GoDaddy to fix their MWH Backup Dashboard. We're not concerned about backing up our files; we're concerned about (and frustrated over) their backup retrieval system. 90% of the time, it doesn't work.

Again, thanks!

PS: It's very interesting to know that, so far, GoDaddy hasn't been able to address our situation - online via this forum or offline. 

Employee
    Employee

Hi @CXLeader I'm relatively new to GD's Managed WordPress service and would like to learn more.  If you're still encountering the issue with backups, you can PM me your website URL and we'll take a look at it.  Thanks.

Helper II
    Helper II

Thanks, @ballclub1,

Our issue is not related to our website, it's related to GoDaddy's MWH backup dashboard (click here: http://prntscr.com/g8yg6l)

Have you used it before? If yes, what has your experience been using it?

Our request is addressed to GoDaddy. They have been unable to respond/fix the issue over the phone, and since they don't have a "ticket support system," I'm hoping someone who works directly for GoDaddy will fix the issue or advise when it's been fixed. 

Sorry, but the problem lies with GoDaddy, not our website. Again, we're not trying to make a backup of our site, simply asking them to fix their MWH backup dashboard so we can retrieve our backups expediently. Currently, it's either slow or doesn't work (i.e., have to call Customer Support to get a Level 2 or 3 IT guy to retrieve our backups).

Again, thanks!

Anonymous
    Not applicable

@CXLeader,

• Nobody here on the forum can provide support! 
    • Support will very unlikely read your posts here.
    • I would first try using a different browser to access your site (you never know).
    • Try using a different device to access your site.
    • Try using a different method.
    • Allow a Pro (or someone else) either direct access, remote access or delegated access to see your issue first hand instead of trying their best to guess what is going on. Are there others experiencing the same software problems (search forum), or just yourself? There would lie a clue......... you could have conflicting software issues or corrupted file downloads, whereas a reset may cure the glitch. Ask support about steps to resetting your site.
    • Give your domain name here so that preliminary checks can be made and ruled out.
    • Thank you!

Helper II
    Helper II

@Anonymous</a>,

Thanks. Have you used the MWH Backup Panel (Dashboard) before? (as shown in the link above)

All I can say is that GoDaddy has admitted the backup panel is not working well. So, a fix is in order. That's all. 

Cheers!

Employee
    Employee

@CXLeader Yes, I realize that you're having an issue with backups, but I need some kind of identifier that would allow us to look at your particular account, and a website URL would be sufficient, or account number (we aren't able to look that up using the handle you have in this forum).  We are not seeing this problem with other accounts, so we'd need more info to dig into the specifics affecting your particular account.  You can PM that to me if you want to keep it private.  Thanks.

Helper II
    Helper II
    Solution

All,

Thanks for your help. We found a solution: Migrate our websites to another hosting provider.

Many reasons for this decision.

Cheers!
    New

I too have an issue with the MWP backup...but even worse.  I have been a Pro Reseller for about 20 years, and have never seen a situation like this.

I have a site that uses Daddy Managed WordPress hosting, and I manage all of my sites through a product called ManageWP (managewp.com) and I love it's capabilities - including indefinite backups, and I have used the product to restore many sites.  However, recently I had one that was "timing out", and couldn't get to the WordPress dashboard no matter what I did.

So I took the advice of the GoDaddy tech, and restored the site using the GoDaddy MWP dashboard.  It restored just fine, but to status that was almost 3 years old!

Luckily, I was able to get to the WordPress dashboard, which allowed me to then overwrite the restored site with the correct one that was held via the ManageWP product.

What bothers me is that the GoDaddy files were so outdated, and obviously not backing up the current files and database, nor was the tech not familiar with the ManageWP product - which has been owned by GoDaddy for over a year and a half!

Moral of the story: DO NOT TRUST THE BACKUPS THAT GODADDY PROVIDES!!  Use a 3rd party provider to backup your site, or better yet, like CXLeader, find a different provider.

Where to start?  Just been kicked off a call waiting queue to Godaddy support for the second time.

Boils down to the same Managed Wordpress Hosting backup issue as above: no backups.  I'd put a friend's non-profit foundation on "managed" WP hosting in order to ensure they got updates, security screening and plugin updates (as originally advertised, although that dropped out to a separate paid service sometime ago), and daily backups held for 30 days, for "peace of mind" in case it was needed.  What a fool I was.

Site showed signs of being hacked this month, the automatic wp-login from godaddy didn't work. SFTP access showed a bunch of root-owned files. I knew they'd seen a working site at least a couple of weeks previously, and with no substantive posting activity in that time, they could afford to lose a couple of weeks, so I attempted to use their restore feature. The bar completed, but now the site was completely inaccessible, so I went to the phpmyadmin access, only to find that the database state it had restored was... an empty database. Nada.

Words cannot describe my contempt for Godaddy at this point, but basically this so-called service is much worse than shared cpanel hosting - the false confidence of included plugin security (since withdrawn to paid) and of 30 days backups (worthless, and broken in our case) are just bait for the unwary.  If you are on managed WP right now - take your own backup and leave asap.

Helper II
    Helper II

Hi @ballclub1,

Apologies. Just noticed you work for GoDaddy. Thanks for your assistance. We have confirmed (this week) via GD Customer Service the following:

(1) MWH Back-Up engine works sporadically.

(2) MWH Back-Up progress bar is faulty (fake, actually) and is in the process of being fixed to provide a real-time progress bar.

(3) MWH Back-Up engine works best if website database size is 20 Mb or less. If database is too large, they recommend calling GD Customer Service to retrieve a back-up. 

None of the above is noted in the MWH dashboard (as a note or info). Why?

Thanks!

Employee
    Employee

Hi @CXLeader, I was alerted today by a fellow employee about your post, and wanted to get back to you with more context.

#1 - Could depend on certain factors, with one the culprit being a MySQL database that exceeds our terms of service of 1 GB in size or exceeds 1,000 tables.  You can see this in our ToS at https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc?pageid=HOSTING_SA&isc=cjc1off30 under Section 5. A very small percentage of sites exceed these limits, usually as a result of some kind of custom implementation that inserts too many records into a MySQL database like via transients.  If a database exceeds our ToS, then our platform won't back it up.

But rather than notify these small percentage of customers their database exceeds ToS, we felt it was important to offer a solution through our Premium Support group if the customer isn't able to solve it themselves.  That's because paring down a very large database that has gotten exceedingly large through some function that has gone awry can be very complex and risky to do.  Unfortunately when we tried to contact a sample of these customers whose MySQL databases that were too large (which is a very small percentage of our overall customer base), almost no one responded.  Those who did respond said their web sites were working fine, and making sure their backups work wasn't something they weren't interested in doing, most likely because of the complexity.

If your database has exceeded our Terms of Service, our WordPress Premium Support group can help fix that.

Another tip is to use GoDaddy's free cloud backups that's available for free for all GoDaddy Web Hosting customers with WordPress sites.  You can sign up at https://www.godaddy.com/pro/sites.  Integrating this type of cloud backup service through MWH is on our product roadmap.  Try that out since I understand the same restriction on MySQL databases that are too large to be backed up aren't applied there.

Helper II
    Helper II

Hi @ballclub1,

Wow! It sure took a while to get a response from GoDaddy.

Respectfully:

(1) The backup engine is defective. Confirmed with frontline GoDaddy Customer Service Agents we spoke with.

(2) To date, no improvements have been made to the back-up engine (GUI).

(3) We never exceeded the TOS limits (double-checked) you mentioned. Nowhere close. And if we had, why didn’t the back-up engine flag the issue and provide a warning in the dashboard? Would be very helpful. Again, the back-up engine can use a refresh to address the TOS limits you mentioned. GoDaddy has the talent to make this happen.

(4) Why doesn’t the back-up engine say “Back Up Complete” when done? And why is the progress bar “fake”? Again, frontline GoDaddy Customer Service Agents agree with this.

(5) Upselling does not solve the issue presented herein. GoDaddy appears to do this all the time. Not nice.

Given the amount of time it takes GoDaddy to solve simple problems - or at least address them - we were recently forced to migrate some of our GoDaddy products to another hosting company. To bad we didn’t do it sooner. When necessary (rarely now), they respond and fix most issues in less than 24 hours via chat, tickets, and over the phone.

Listening and acting is the right thing to do for your customers, not offering excuses or upselling all the time.

Please forgive me. Don’t mean to appear rude. Simply presenting the facts after being a GoDaddy customer for almost 3 years.