• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Can't attach GoDaddy domain to Managed WordPress

I have a GoDaddy domain and for a while the host I was using was Smugmug. Recently I decided to switch to WordPress and have GoDaddy's builder. 

I had GoDaddy clear everything with my domain so it's no longer attached to SmugMug in any way. When I go to my settings in WordPress, it says that I cannot change the domain here. It then brings me to a GoDaddy page where I can make a new domain, however I don't want to do that. My old domain doesn't show up at all and I can't attach it for whatever reason.

Not sure if it matters, but my WordPress URL is [numbers&letters].[numbers&letters].myftpupload.com and not a traditional [websitename].wordpress.com

I've looked on here and I can't seem to find an answer. Any help would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User IV

@MaryDbos 

OK - so.... WordPress.com domains / sites are sites hosted on WordPress.com 

The Managed WordPress sites are "WordPress.org" (self-hosted) version of WordPress.

When you are on the GoDaddy WordPress dashboard "https://myh.godaddy.com" and you go to your site and then settings 

At the bottom where it shows the myftpupload.com domain there should be a button that says attach domain. From there you can select a domain in your account or select the external domain option for a domain registered somewhere else.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Super User IV

@MaryDbos 

OK - so.... WordPress.com domains / sites are sites hosted on WordPress.com 

The Managed WordPress sites are "WordPress.org" (self-hosted) version of WordPress.

When you are on the GoDaddy WordPress dashboard "https://myh.godaddy.com" and you go to your site and then settings 

At the bottom where it shows the myftpupload.com domain there should be a button that says attach domain. From there you can select a domain in your account or select the external domain option for a domain registered somewhere else.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post