• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Consistently Getting Error 429

I've been getting an HTTP response 429, too many requests when I try to log in with certain test user accounts and when I try to run a backup using the BackWPup plugin to a zip file (so that I can import the site to a FlyWheel Dev Environment).  There are definitely not too many requests being generated.  Any ideas how to solve this?  

6 REPLIES 6
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Consistently Getting Error 429

@sfpeanut 

This typically means a plugin or theme has gone "rogue" on you due to some sort of error or conflict in the coding. The easiest way to determine if this is the case is to shut off all plugins/themes (put them to defaults) and turn everything back on, one step at a time, until the issue presents itself. This will usually tell you the guilty party. 

Here are some helpful links:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/disable-wordpress-plugins-in-the-database-26345

https://www.godaddy.com/help/troubleshoot-wordpress-plugin-errors-26340

https://www.godaddy.com/help/fix-wordpress-plugin-errors-26341

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thank you Joe.  I tried disabling all plugins.  I needed to add a few in so that the theme would work (Kleo).  It would then fix the problem.  I then added plugins in.  It would eventually got back to Error 429.  However, the behavior was inconsistent. I could remove all plugins again and get the error.  Or it would happen when different plugins were added in. I am not able to narrow it down to the culprit plugin.  Note that it only happens with some accounts - so that is odd too.  I am still trying to narrow the problem down to a reliable test case.

Thanks,
    David

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @sfpeanut,

Did you get this resolved? If so, it would be great if you would come back and share your experience. It's always helpful for others to see solutions to issues in case they might be experiencing the same thing. Thanks!

Rachel

Highlighted

@RachelM  I have not yet resolved this issue.  I have activated and deactivated plugins, and the issue is very weird and inconsistent.   I suspect it has to do with Buddypress, perhaps interacting with the theme.  Would you know of a way I can log this error on the server side with Hosted Wordpress?

Thanks for checking back.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@MrVapor Any suggestions?

Rachel

Super User III
    Super User III

@sfpeanut 

A 429 error usually happens when a process get's stuck on a WordPress site. You're spot on that it is most likely a plugin or theme causing the issue. 

I would try to enable PHP error logging and see if that offers any insight as to what might be causing the issue.

Another step you can take is to simply disable all the plugins in the database and turn them on, one by one, until you experience the issue again. 

If the issue is still occurring after your troubleshooting, the best bet is to contact phone support or live chat. Managed WordPress platforms can be a bit tricky to troubleshoot on your own due to the optimizations they've made on the backend to specifically run a WordPress sites only. They have a lot of additional safety and security features. 

My gut says this is a plugin conflict, however.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community