• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Cron jobs suddently stopped working on managed wordpress site, 504 error

I run a managed Wordpress site that utilizes WooCommerce subscriptions.  For the past year I've had zero issues - all subscription renewals have processed fine via cron jobs.  However, for the past week (since Wordpress 4.9.2 update maybe?) I've been receiving this error:

There was a problem spawning a call to the WP-Cron system on your site. This means WP-Cron events on your site may not work. The problem was:

Unexpected HTTP response code: 504

Is anyone else experiencing this, or have any insight as to a possible solution? At this point, I'm having to manually renew all subscriptions, which is not feasible in the long-term.

8 REPLIES 8

Yes! exactly the same here. All cron jobs are no longer being run. Exactly the same error message . Any ideas anyone?

Please reply here if you find a solution.  I've looked and looked and looked and cannot find a solution, let alone a cause to this issue. 

Joining in to see if anyone has a solution, as I too have been using WooCommerce Subscriptions just fine for months now, no problems, and as of last week, got the same error. Ended up buying the one month subscription of GD premium WP support to see if they can fix it, and submitted the ticket today.

Very curious to see what GD's support can come up with.  Being that the error is 504, I'm inclined to think GD changed something on the server/hosting side that has caused this.  I've tried everything I can think of, inquired about this issue on multiple WP forums with no success at any of the suggestions, on and on.  Have spent WAY too many hours trying to fix this very basic failure in functionality.

One thing I can say for sure - this issue is not isolated to plugins/WooCommerce - it's any cron job.  Example - create a test post, schedule it to go live a few minutes in the future...it never gets published.  Whatever the issue is stemming from, it's impacting WP core, not just plugin crons.

Interestingly - I had a subscription renewal cron that failed just now and had to go in to manually renew it.  Decided to check WP Crontrol and am now getting a different error message:

There was a problem spawning a call to the WP-Cron system on your site. This means WP-Cron events on your site may not work.

The problem was: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 3001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received

After researching a bit, the resolution for this seems to be: "Update DNS records of the website with a new IP address on the registrar side"....placing the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of GoDaddy considering this is Managed Wordpress Hosting and we have no control over this.

And now we're back to:

There was a problem spawning a call to the WP-Cron system on your site. This means WP-Cron events on your site may not work. The problem was:

Unexpected HTTP response code: 504

Getting very frustrating now that I know this is on the GoDaddy end of things and not something I can control...

Well how convenient....the problem has now resolved itself (seemingly, as no errors are being thrown, crons running properly).  "Thanks" GoDaddy...

Guys I have been onto them multiple times, they are having server issue but wont give me and ETA, just that they are working on it...Absolutely ridiculous been happening for a week and I am losing customer daily......