• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Database connection issues

Since there's literally no way to contact support for me as the dev of our clients account, I have to post here.

I'm rebuilding their site and want to provide a staging server so using the built-in one from godaddys managed wp hosting. After a ton of fighting with the server, I was able to initialize a git repo after renaming the html folder and creating a new one (since managed won't let you delete it) then pulling the files from our origin to the new html folder.

However, when I go to the url provided to the staging server, it's saying "error establishing a database connection". I've triple checked the wp-config and it has the correct credentials. I even tried the db host godaddy gives in it's phpmyadmin credentials instead of localhost.

None of this works when it all appears like it should. Anyone from the godaddy team able to take a look and help out with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User IV

@matt92u3d92 

First off the GoDaddy community is end users so we don't have access to accounts.

That being said it sounds like you are trying to connect an external site and have it use the Database on the Managed WordPress system. This is not allowed for security purposes you can only connect via phpMyAdmin or from the GoDaddy server.

I'm confused about your comments regarding the git repo etc. Assuming the site is on the deluxe plan of Managed WordPress it includes a staging server. All that is required is clicking the create staging site and it will duplicate the live site and give you a temp (myftpupload.com) domain for the site. You have SFTP / phpMyAdmin access to this staging site.

You can make all your edits / changes etc and then have it "push staging to production" which will overwrite the live site with the staging one.

Is there something else in this that you are attempting to do?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
    Super User IV

@matt92u3d92 

First off the GoDaddy community is end users so we don't have access to accounts.

That being said it sounds like you are trying to connect an external site and have it use the Database on the Managed WordPress system. This is not allowed for security purposes you can only connect via phpMyAdmin or from the GoDaddy server.

I'm confused about your comments regarding the git repo etc. Assuming the site is on the deluxe plan of Managed WordPress it includes a staging server. All that is required is clicking the create staging site and it will duplicate the live site and give you a temp (myftpupload.com) domain for the site. You have SFTP / phpMyAdmin access to this staging site.

You can make all your edits / changes etc and then have it "push staging to production" which will overwrite the live site with the staging one.

Is there something else in this that you are attempting to do?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

First @PL281 thank you for the reply.

The site is using a pagebuilder and plugins which are preventing the site from updating php and wordpress, and is just generally badly made.

Because of this we want to start completely from scratch. I did duplicate the site and am using the staging server provided by godaddy, I simply renamed the "html" folder which it was reading to "old" and created a new "html" folder with a fresh install of wordpress.

The git repo is just our process for deploying code. We'd rather not use SFTP if we can help it and I don't really see why is should be an issue.

I'm then using the database credentials provided by phpmyadmin for the staging server in my wp-config. Which is where my confusion as to why the connection is not working