• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Dedicated IP on Managed Wordpress - not sure what is best to do here

Looking for some advice.  I'm working with a non-profit organization and built a new website using Managed Wordpress on Godaddy.  I'm ready for the site to go live.  I built the site on a domain domainexample2.com

The non-profit uses another domain domainexample1.com and has a virtual machine with another vendor which stores email, DNS server and the old website about to be replaced.

My hope was the website I built could be left on Managed Wordpress and I would just change the A record for domainexample1 to point to the new sites IP on Godaddy.  I went back and forth with customer support on this today, but there is no way to purchase a dedicated IP for Managed Wordpress to solve this problem. The IP address is shared with other Godaddy customers, so when I go to http://IPADDRESS it comes up with a blank page saying "pageok".

It's not in the scope of this project to move email to godaddy or DNS server to godaddy.  This is complicated and I don't want to touch any of this just to put up a replacement website.  The non profit needs to have Managed Wordpress support as we all lack the technical skills for troubleshooting, plugins, upgrade etc.

I was told the only option I have is to buy a dedicated server from godaddy which starts at $90 a month.  I believe this wouldn't cover me for support on Managed Wordpress and we just don't need a dedicated server, especially when we already pay for one.  I wanted to eventually get the non-profit out of the business of having their own server and having to manage it.

One option was to move the Wordpress site created on Godaddy to the existing server, but there is no space for it and it is on an old operating system, so I don't want to put anything else on it.  Who knows what bugs I could fit with an old version of MySQL, Linux, and that's even if we could free up the space to host the new site.

I think Godaddy are missing out on being able to sell a dedicated IP for Managed Wordpress - I'm perfectly willing to pay for one to solve this problem....has anyone encountered a situation similar to mine and is there anything on Godaddy which would solve this?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: Dedicated IP on Managed Wordpress - not sure what is best to do here

@notoriousrab430 

I have over 200 sites on the MWP platform and I've never had an issue with the IP address. I just go into the DNS and set the A record.

My hope was the website I built could be left on Managed Wordpress and I would just change the A record for domainexample1 to point to the new sites IP on Godaddy. 

This is all you should have to do is update the main IP address in their current DNS - Please be sure that there aren't CNAME records pointed to @ that might break when you point the root domain.

I'm not quite sure I understand (other than a personal preference or project requirement) to have a dedicated / personal IP address - the shared IP address doesn't change.

Please also be aware that while GoDaddy does manage the server / underlying systems and WordPress core, you / your client do need to make sure to update the plugins and themes on a regular basis.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

OK, so is this expected, when I go to http://IPADDRESS I get the blank page with "pageok". I could understand it would be because I'm just going straight to that IP address which could be the IP address for dozens of sites. I was using this method to test the site is actually on that IP before I switched the A record for domainexample1.com but maybe I can't really test this like that.

From what you say, maybe this isn't an issue and when I make the DNS A record switch the go to http://domainexample1.com the Managed Wordpress server will be able to identify the URL and send to the correct site.

Super User III
    Super User III

@notoriousrab430 

Yes that is correct - GoDaddy's system has a mapping behind the scenes that routes the domain to the correct installation.

What you'll want to do right before you update the DNS is in the http://myh.godaddy.com -> Your Managed WordPress Site -> Domain.... you'll want to add the domain - I normally leave the check box that says "make primary domain" checked.

After you do that in 2-4 minutes or so the page will update and then if you wish you can click the 3 dots and say make +www primary.

Assuming this is one of the newer Managed WordPress Plans which includes SSL, you will more than likely receive an email about domain validation - 

You can either add a txt record to the DNS or add the following folders / file

/.well-known/pki-validation/godaddy.html where the html file has the text string from the validation email.

There is a link in that email and then you click the method you used and then the SSL certificate will be installed.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thanks,

I see my domains in godaddy. I added domainexample1.com to this. I note that it does not allow me to add one for www ie www.domainexample1.com. Does this matter or will any traffic in a browser for anyhost.domainexample1.com resolved to my site?

Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

@notoriousrab430 

It will accept the root domain and www.rootdomain.com

As per my previous post - if you want the www as the primary - just click the 3 dots and select make +www primary - otherwise - just leave it be and you are all set

Highlighted

Thank you, great information.