cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    New

Export XML backup file from WP dashboard

I disabled a WP plugin by mistake. I didn't notice the effect on my website until after I had uploaded several blog posts. Now, I don't want to restore the whole website myself to fix the plugin -because I will lose my blog posts.

My first step towards repairing the website was to export a XML backup file of my blog posts to my desktop. 

I don't know how to reconnect the WP plugin. I intend to seek Godaddy Pro services for help with that. I also would not know how to import the XML backup file if the plugin repair simply involves restoring the whole website (as the easiest and most cost-effective solution), but I can provide the development pro who works on my website with the XML backup of my blog posts. 

Is this a plan? Anyone with experience with my issue as I outlined above is appreciated. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Export XML backup file from WP dashboard

@Guil 

The XML file is just the content, not the actual file structure of your website. So....

1) You could export the XML, then restore from a backup and then import the XML which should get you posts back.

I recommend using the date feature on the export so you only get the content you need.

Also if you aren't already I would look at https://prosites.godaddy.com - this is free with your GoDaddy account and includes daily backups of any sites hosted on GoDaddy. 

Finally depending on the plugin, perhaps you just need to re-enable the plugin / re-install it

GoDaddy Pro User - Managing over 300 WP Sites