Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Help and information regarding custom domain assignment

I have a pro package of 5 sites.

I have created 3 sites and migrated 3 wordpress sites from WPEngine

The migrations seem to work well, except 1 had to have enabled plugins disbaled to make work. But migrated fine.

Then i tried to assign custom domains and everything from this point on went ridiculous:

First: For 2 of the 3 domains i was able to assign the domain and make it primary, BUT the domains never got assigned, instead staying on 50% assignment for 24 hours. 1 of them had managed to update the A record, but did not set the site to primary, which meant everytime i typed the custom domain it redirected to the temporary domain. The 2nd hosted site, never made any changes.

I spent 2.5 hrs hours calling customer support from an international line. 1st round said they fixed it, but nothing really changed. The 2nd call managed to fixed one hosted site, but not the 2nd site. The 3rd call fixed the 2nd site.

Now i tried to assign the 3rd site to a domain and the system would simply not allow it. After calling again and finding out that supposedly WPengine hosts systems with godaddy also, they have some sort of lock out system to protect against issue. After explaining again the issue with the other domains the advanced hosting agent seemed to understand the issue and started to fix my issues by removing that block for assign the domain. But guess what, after leaving the call when he said he would call back so i didnt have to pay the rates, i never got a call back.

12 hours later, the 3rd site is not working, favicon is there, but site is a blank wordpress template, in php admin the site appears to have all the DB files and files on SFTP are there. Prior to the hosting agent assiging the domain, the website was working perfectly. But now it does not.

I leave this message to those who may do migration with godaddy and try to assign a domain and it takes a long time. Be very careful and get on the phone with support because your DNS information may not fully get updated along with the site primary domain.

For me i lost my site for 24 hours until i changed manually back my IP to WPengine. Plus i can not delete the 3rd site instance as it is in perpetual custom domain assignment. 

If i try to assign the domain again on a 4th instance i have migratedt, i will be extremely nervous to do so as now all sites have faced this issue.

My belief is i have a bad instance on godaddy with 100% failure on domain assignment.

I have used godaddy for many other issues and understood the price point to technical support. But now i truly understand why wpengine has the best support system in the world. You pay a premium but issues like this are extremely rare and the customer support agents truly understand the issues and now when its outside their pay grade or experience. I am tired of agents sounding professional, but having limited ability to read the long notes (which i assume were technically accurate).

I would really like to see a flawless 4th site and domain assignment within 24 hours

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Super User II
    Super User II
    Solution

Re: Help and information regarding custom domain assignment

@davidwright 

This sounds like specific issues with perhaps the server your sites are on itself. Unfortunately, it sounds like you need to call in if you have future issues as we don't have the tools to properly diagnose your issue in this case.

Sorry you're having bad luck. 😣

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Highlighted
    Super User II
    Super User II
    Solution

Re: Help and information regarding custom domain assignment

@davidwright 

This sounds like specific issues with perhaps the server your sites are on itself. Unfortunately, it sounds like you need to call in if you have future issues as we don't have the tools to properly diagnose your issue in this case.

Sorry you're having bad luck. 😣

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post