cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    Helper I

Managed WordPress Error: Connection Reset

I found an older thread on this topic that said the problem had been solved by GoDaddy teams, but I don't think that's true.

I'm still having this connection reset problem to the point that I cannot update my site at all. I cannot add anything new. I cannot revise anything that's already existing. Every time I try to do anything at all my connection resets.

I've been on the phone with tech support twice in the last week and SO FAR none of the ideas offered have worked. 

Help. Help. Help. 

What causes the connection to reset and how can it be fixed?!

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Managed WordPress Error: Connection Reset

This issue is brutal,  getting it around 10 times a day on my business site.  I wish the customer service rep never would have switched me over to managed wordpress hosting. 

Godaddy - fix this!

Hello,

I am also having this same connection reset error with two separate managed word press websites. It is a terrible problem. I have a few details which might be interesting to help us solve it.

1) This problem is happening on both of my two Windows 10 machines. 

2) The problem is not happening on my Chromebook which is on the same network as the above two machines.

3) The problem doesn't happen on my Windows 10 computers at work, just my Windows 10 computers at home.

4) 1 in 10 website update saves actually works for some reason. It isn't happening each and every time.

5) I am using Xfinity Internet at home and some dedicated provider at the office.

@blackoctopus I am wondering if you are on Windows 10 and XFinity/Comcast. Also, I am wondering if you have an iPad or mobile phone you can put on the same network to see if you hit this error on those devices. Again, I am not having the problem on Chromebook. I don't know why it matters. It would be great to see what commonalities we have.

Thank you for any help. I am more than glad to provide additional details.

Helper I

@ecohen1 -- Thanks for your idea of testing Windows 10 as a possible commonality among those of us having this terrible connection reset issue. See if my experiences help us narrow down a possible cause. 

I've been having this reset issue for a LONG time, but it has gotten so much worse in recent weeks. 

I just tried both Firefox and Chrome browsers on a VERY old laptop that is still running Windows Vista (if you can believe it), and I did NOT get a single connection reset error in a test blog post that I keep updating to see if the problem is fixed or not, after trying various things. 

To recap all the things GoDaddy has told me to try, here is my current list:

* Last week, hacking / malware blamed. $150 later learned there was no hack. 
    * Plug-in blamed. Still have issues with ALL plugins off. 
    * Theme blamed. Changed theme. Still problems.
    * ISP connection blamed. Trace test shows NO problems. 
    * Huge database tables from an old plugin blamed. Deleted those. Still problems. 

I live in a very rural area, so we use Skybeam as our ISP. But, as you'll see in the list, we traced my ping route and found NO issues, so I really don't think it's an ISP issue. 

I'm self-employed and work from home, so I don't have another network to try ... unless I drive down into town and use free wifi at the public library or something. 

In the past, I also might be able to save 1 in 10 times, but in the last 2 weeks, I can't do anything on my main desktop computer running Windows 10. I believe it just did a major update to 10 recently. Maybe that's the difference between your Windows 10 machines at home versus at work?

I have a Surface tablet that also runs 10, though it has NOT had that recent big 10 update, because I only use it when I travel. 

Using the Surface, I was able to get into the main dashboard, but when I tried to open my test post using Chrome, it took seriously like 10 minutes for the draft post page to fully come up. I added text and was able to save the test post without any errors. But, when I went back to look at a list of all posts, it again took many minutes for that section of the dashboard to come up. 

The second time I opened that test post on the surface it loaded much faster and continued to save fine. 

Even though it's a tiny screen and maddening to work with, I also logged in via my Kindle Fire tablet's browser (Amazon Silk). Not speedy, but it works, and it seems to be saving changes to the test post just fine. 

ALL of my devices are connected to the same Skybeam ISP. 

I'm on Windows 8.1 and am on Shaw cable in Canada so looks like the problem is multiple OS / ISP 

Helper I

Well, crap. There goes that theory. Thanks for reporting your details, @blackoctopus

In the meantime, I went back to my desktop, and I'm having trouble on my main 2 sites. I have not tested the other 2 yet. And, the sites have different themes and plugins, etc. so it's more widespread in my reality than my biggest site. 

No problem, hopefully we can get an official reply from Godaddy here.  With so many users affected, and it appearing on multiple sites, themes, OS, ISP's, using different plugins - it really seems like it is some kind of problem with their service to me.

Ok. Well for the record, I am on Windows 10 version 1703 OS Build 16241.1001.

Honestly, I don't really think the problem is Godaddy anymore. If it was Godaddy, I would probably have the problem on my Chrome book and on Windows 10 when I try from the office. 

@blackoctopus Can you try to see if the problem happens from a mobile phone or other device on your network? I'll bet it won't.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
    Rockstar I

Hi all,

One quick question, are your connections https or http?  I've had this problem before and just weathered it out.  However, I just ran into it again on a site I started from scratch.  In this case the problem seemed to start after adding ssl.  Nowhere near sure that this is a/the problem, but thought I'd inquire.

Thanks,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
    Helper I

Thanks for the idea, @JMPepper. I've had this problem both BEFORE and AFTER adding an SSL, in fact GoDaddy SOLD ME the SSL as supposedly part of my solution when I first called (along with services to clean up a hack that wasn't actually a hack). But, several of my other smaller sites do NOT have an SSL, and I'm having the same issue on those sites right now too. 

Helper I

My big site dashboard worked okay for exactly 25 minutes just now before the first connection reset error. Not sure how time since log-in might affect anything, but I'm just adding to the list of possible symptoms. 

Today, I also deleted or updated a bunch of themes that I keep in the appearance section. Thought maybe it would help. Guess not. 

Helper I

UPDATE --- (Aug 3, 2017) --- I moved my 4 sites to a new host yesterday, and everything is working beautifully. Wicked fast. No connection errors. Zero issues. I did not change anything except my hosting company.  It's NOT us, NOT our sites, NOT our plug-ins, NOT our settings. It's GoDaddy. Totally them. 

Helper I

UPDATE -- Aug 7, 2017 --- 

FYI -- I just tried to cancel my Managed WP Hosting, and I was told I was NOT eligible for any pro-rated refund since I prepaid for X amount of time. 

The best they could do was turn OFF auto-renewal so that it will NOT charge me again when my hosting plan runs out.

They did, however, FULLY REFUND the 2 services they sold me (SSL and website security) saying they would FIX THIS PROBLEM I was having. I had just purchased those recently, though, so maybe that's the difference. 

Definitely NOT HAPPY about not getting a pro-rated refund on this really terrible hosting. 

BUT, I'm thrilled that I moved my sites to a new host last week and that everything is working beautifully. 

So this has been killing me for over two weeks. I paid for premium support and have had to call in every day since. When accessing the site on an android device in a Social media native browser or Dolphin browser we have the err connection reset...

Then if you load in chrome it will load our site.

I have switched themes and stripped plugins.

We have trouble shot every possible cause. The tech most recently was able to re create the issue multiple times but only in the Social Media native browsers. 

Last night they said they were going to clone my site on another server. It appears the problem persists.

I want them to clear all my data from the server and try loading a new theme in case there was faulty coding left from an incompatible plugin etc.

Employee
    Employee

@ecohen1 @blackoctopus @latincublb Hi, this is GD Managed WordPress product management (I'm new to GD and want to help).  If you're still having issues with SSL on your site, please provide your website URLs or PM me and we'll look into it.  Thanks.

@ballclub1 I definitely still have the issue on my Windows 10 machines. It's very inconvenient and annoying.

@ballclub1 I definitely still have the issue on my Windows 10 machines. It's very inconvenient and annoying. I don't know if this is SSL-related or not, but I do have a Godaddy SSL cert with my site.

www.eroncohen.com

Employee
    Employee

Thanks @ecohen1.  I've forwarded your website URL to our engineering team to check it out.

Employee
    Employee

@ecohen1 and @blackoctopus Our security team has made some changes to how the initial "handshake" takes place.  Please let me know if you continue to encounter the error or not (private messaging is fine).  Thanks!

Thank you for trying to help us with this. It will be a huge relief to have this fixed. I will try tonight.

Thank you very much for trying to help with this issue, I will be monitoring my site today and let you know if I continued to get the problem.

@ballclub1 Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the  ERR_CONNECTION_RESET problem on my Windows 10 machine.

Eron

Employee
    Employee

Hi @ecohen1 I googled "err_connection_reset" and found a bunch of articles about how to address it.  None of the solutions point to the web host as being the issue.  It's usually with Chrome or other settings, like this article mentions how to address:

https://usefulpcguide.com/17265/err_connection_reset/

The good news is that visitors to your web site are probably not experiencing this issue.  You may want to test it using a different computer (or smartphone) outside of the network you've been using (or not using your home wi-fi on your smartphone).  I'll keep trying to visit your site to see if I ever get the same problem.

Hi,  Unfortunately I also still am receiving the error as well.

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

@ecohen1 @blackoctopus Hi guys, for some reason a reply I put in this thread last night isn't appearing.  So let me try again.  Our engineers are looking into it, but so far they haven't seen anything abnormal with other customers.  So to keep researching possibilities, I googled ""err_connection_reset" and found a lot of articles about this problem (see some sample links below).  None of them point to the web hosting provider being an issue, but point to issues with registry, TCP/IP or other network settings that can get changed by 3rd party programs, like computer optimization software, anti-virus or firewall applications.

https://usefulpcguide.com/17265/err_connection_reset/

https://appuals.com/best-fix-err_connection_reset/

YouTube video (Chrome for Windows): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABpJXz8oWfg

Windows 10: http://windowsreport.com/err-connection-reset-windows-10/

(There are many other articles when googling "err_connection_reset").

I've been visiting your sites over the past couple of days and haven't seen any issues.  One thing that might be worth trying is to check your sites outside of your normal wi-fi or ethernet network, use a different machine or your smartphone/tablet using the device's LTE network.  I'll continue to do the same to see if I encounter this error you've been seeing.

Let me know how these techniques work for you.  Thanks!

New

@ballclub1 @blackoctopus 

ballclub1-I received your PM, but ironically I can't respond to that. Nevertheless, I am cautiously optimistic that your suggestions may have solved the problem on my Windows 10 machine. The thing that appears to have worked was going to an Command Prompt window (you run it as Admin--this is done by right-clicking on the icon) and then running "netsh winsock reset catalog" --it will force you to reboot. After that I am able to save my posts. I have saved about 20 times in a row, which is something I haven't been able to do since this problem started. Having said that, 

I have thought this was solved before and the problem came back, so there may be something that is "re-breaking" it.  No idea what. I'll keep you posted. I would be interested to know if this works for @blackoctopus @latincublb

Thanks again for the research and sticking with us. 

Employee
    Employee

Hi @ecohen1.  Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to hear that things may be working out after changing some settings!

By the way, I messaged the community forum admin at GoDaddy, and they said they are working on some technical issues of posts in forums not successfully posting (and probably PMs as well), so hopefully they will be resolved soon.

I just went through the same thing and did everything everybody else did.  I installed WP Super Cache and it hasn't happened since.

Mine happened every time I made an edit and then hit Preview.  It would clear up for a little while until I did something again.  WP Super Cache is the way to go.  I just used the EASY tab and checkmarked all the ones that said "recommended".  One day I'll learn more about it, but at least it fixed the issue.

You can also check your CPU and Concurrent usage from your Cpanel and see how it spikes each time you make the problem happen.  The timezone may be off on it by three or four hours across the US states and a minute or two as well.  So refresh to show the stats for the last ten minutes until you see the spike of what you last did to cause it. 

Do not upgrade with some higher performance package because it's not Godaddy but is optimization of your website.

EDITED:  I am not using Managed Wordpress but ran across this thread and thought what I did might help you as well.

I have this website err_connection_reset windows 10 which can help you to solve this issue. Connection reset error is a very common problem. Hope this helps.