• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Managed WordPress v. Managed WordPress Pro5 and IP addresses

I recently converted all Managed WordPress sites to Managed WordPress Pro5 sites.

I have an awesome (IMO and not affiliated) security plug-in called WP-Cerber.  

1. Before Pro5, I received several emails per day, i.e. "blocked 10 suspicious activity to php files..." etc. Details behind the emails are in the wp-cerber activity log showing multiple IP addresses of various hack attempts.

2. After migrating to Pro5 -

On the WP-Cerber panel where my IP address (as in whatsmyip IP) can be whitelisted, wp-cerber displays "My IP Address: ipAddress". which is different from whatsmyIP IP.

3. WP-Cerber documentation says that if this is the case, the host must have the site set up behind a reverse proxy. (and there are controls for that)

4. I asked 2 different cs people at GoDaddy about reverse proxy and they did not know.

5. Now, I am getting 0 emails about blocked threats. When I look at traffic and activity, it all shows the IP address that is not really mine (see #2). WHOIS on this IP says it belongs to GoDaddy.

What is going on?

So, whoever answers, please know that I am NOT savvy on DNS records except to know they exist, i.e. how A records and @ records interact - no clue. Plus I am leary to change any of that as I believe that a Managed WP customer should not have to.

Thanks for any information and help.  I appreciate it!

2 REPLIES 2
    Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: Managed WordPress v. Managed WordPress Pro5 and IP addresses

@tiwhit 

I have a few hundred sites on Managed WordPress Pro...and while I haven't use WP-Cerber I do use other Anti-Spam plugins and Security plugins and have not seen this sort of issue.

1) I was curious so I installed this on one of my sites - It picked up the correct IP address (Comcast Internet)

2) How was yours different - what did it show in what is my IP vs what Cerber was showing

GoDaddy had a v2 of Managed WordPress which they stopped offering a few months back. On v2 the servers only picked up the internal IP addresses of the network, not the public IP of the visitors.

I am assuming you did this conversion recently so this "should not" be a v2 issue, but if you had purchased the account a while ago and were just moving the sites now it could be.

Let us know

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Super User I Super User I
    Super User I
    Solution

Re: Managed WordPress v. Managed WordPress Pro5 and IP addresses

There is a really good chart to Compare Managed WordPress plans Basic, Deluxe, Ultimate & Pro 5+ MWP Plans @tiwhit. I generally find GoDaddy support to be in the know with regard to resolving concerns. When calling I know that the prompts can seem a task but you'll find that getting to the correct support person on your first call is well worth using the prompts. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head