Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Migrating from Deluxe Hosting (not cPanel) Wordpress to Managed Wordpress

Have been talked into buying managed wordpress hosting from Godaddy. Long time customer of deluxe hosting (not cPanel) with Wordpress. Migrated the site using the migration tool. Tests OK. Now need to complete the remaining steps. Struggling. Think i need to do the following hopefully without stuffing up my MS 365 subscription through Godaddy:

• Migrate existing site content to managed wordpress at temp godaddy subdomain with automatic tool. Done.
    • Test migrated site. Done
    • Create subdomain. Done
    • Point old website to subdomain. Not done - annoying - how?
    • Generate new SSL pair key. Not done. Think i know how (menu in SSL dashboard).
    • Point migrated temp website to domain. Not done. Think i know how (menu in dashboard).
    • Kill old website/deluxe hosting subscription. Not done. Think i know how.
    1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    PL281
    Super User IV

@ExtremeBias 

So a couple of things

1) I'm not sure why you are creating a subdomain and what exactly you are attempting to do

2) Assuming you have paid for the full year it includes an SSL 

Generally speaking - all you should have to do is remove the domain from the old hosting account (support may need to help with this)

Then after 5-10 minutes for the domain to clear through the GoDaddy system you add the domain to the Managed WordPress site and set it to be primary - and the system will auto install the SSL certificate.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
    PL281
    Super User IV

@ExtremeBias 

So a couple of things

1) I'm not sure why you are creating a subdomain and what exactly you are attempting to do

2) Assuming you have paid for the full year it includes an SSL 

Generally speaking - all you should have to do is remove the domain from the old hosting account (support may need to help with this)

Then after 5-10 minutes for the domain to clear through the GoDaddy system you add the domain to the Managed WordPress site and set it to be primary - and the system will auto install the SSL certificate.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

@PL281 Why the subdomain. Based on some articles - it effectively parked the old site off the subdomain so you didn't "lose" it and could test the new site on the top domain name, that's all.

SSL. Bought 3yrs of managed wordpress - if it comes with SSL will use that - and will cancel old SSL subscription.

Thanks for the advice.

how were you able to get your domain released from the old site?  this is where I'm stuck, and the last godaddy chat support person seemed to have disappeared when I asked them to do this.

thanks,
    gary

I had the old site subscription terminated once I was happy I had migrated the content ok.

I then revoked the unnecessary separate SSL Cert.

It didn’t take long.

Handy hint from my limited experience of a few years with Godaddy - online chat works better for me as I can do other things whilst they investigate/modify/apply changes. Phone is fine but I need to remain on the call all the time.

Thanks for the update.  That is the road I'm going to take.  I have a .org site, but also the unused .com domain for it as well, so was going to switch the site to the .com domain to release the .org, but haven't been able to do that either.  I generally have good success with chat support, but in this scenario, went through 2 engineers and neither had answers, and I think one actually dropped.  
    The migration to the managed wordpress site was successful and everything seems fine on new site, so will go ahead and remove the old.
    thanks,

gary

how were you able to get your domain released from the old site?  this is where I'm stuck, and the last godaddy chat support person seemed to have disappeared when I asked them to do this.

thanks,
    gary