cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    New

Newer version of PHP?

Is there a way to get PHP 5.6 on my site?  Version 7 would be even better.  Looks like the latest version I can choose is 5.5 from the cpanel

79 REPLIES 79

Re: Newer version of PHP?

Hi Chippy. Newer versions aren't available on Web Hosting yet, but there are plans to get it updated. If you immediately need newer versions, you might want to consider using a VPS so you can install and manage your desired PHP version.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 Support | Check System Status

How could we do that?

At least you can get php v5.  The latest upgrade for me is 5.4 Smiley Sad

'specially give that PHP 5.4.19 has stopped receiving security updates since Thursday, 03 September 2015.  You would think for the $$$ we pay they at least would update for security reasons. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

PHP 7

Won't it be great to have PHP 7 on godaddy?

Employee
    Employee

Re: PHP 7

Yeah it doesn't appear as it's available yet for their shared hosting products per this article: https://www.godaddy.com/help/software-versions-shared-hosting-897

But if you have a VPS or Dedicated server you should be able to upgrade.

New

I'd like to update my PHP as well. On my cPanel admin there is a section for selecting PHP version, yet right next to the pop-up for selecting the version, there's a notice saying that choosing a later version is impossible. What's that about? How do I update? Urgently need it for Woocommerce extensions...

Employee
    Employee

Hello there @Links!

Welcome to the Community! It sounds like you may be at the highest version currently possible on our cPanel hosting. Though, if you reach out to support, they can confirm.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    New
    New

Those of us older clients who are on classic would be happy with 5.6 at this point.  We're stuck with outdated and unsupported 5.4.  Unless of course we purchase a new hosting account and transfer everything over... to 5.6 which is unsupported in just a few months.

This is not a solution.  PHP 5.6 will be unsupported on 12/31 and discussions appear to be that WP will recommend it, meaning that the plugin market will move quickly to stay on listings.  Additionally, there is ample evidence now that PHP 7 if far faster than 5.6 so GD should want to move to save cycles on their hardware.  When?

Is it just me or is it slightly unbelievable that GoDaddy's most current PHP offering, version 5.4, stopped receiving security support OVER A YEAR AGO!! Oh, and by the way, the current version of PHP (5.6) was introduced OVER TWO YEARS AGO, so what's the delay, folks?? 

Or is 5.6 asking for too much? Perhaps GoDaddy needs to bring in PHP 5.5 first, before we jump ahead to 5.6. Of course, if it does, then we'll all just have to overlook the fact that even 5.5, which was released THREE years ago, is no longer supported!!!

Seriously, is this for real?? Please tell me I'm missing something!

Advocate I

I am wondering this myself goddays finally after 2 years supposed to be rolling out 5.6 php across there servers right as its going unsupported in dec only receiving security updates, Unlike the current versions of php on godady's servers which has not had security updates for a very long time.

Would it not make sense to just jump to php 7 because i can see in 2 yrs godaddy will be upgrading to php 7 when php 9 is the recommended.

For a hosting provider security should be a high priority, We as website owners can only do so much if our websites can be exploited because of a lazy hosting provider not taking security seriously using extremely outdated versions of core server applications php, mysql etc why should we give them hundreds of dollars, Even thousands in many cases if they can't provide they service there selling.

If other hosting providers can switch ages ago why is godaddy so behind with the amount of money they make this really should not be an issue especially in 2016 tech era.

Product Team
    Product Team

Hey folks.  To answer your questions about cPanel (web hosting) and Managed WordPress PHP versions, cPanel will support PHP7 in the next couple months and Managed WordPress will support it shortly after that.

For Managed WordPress, we're finishing the PHP 5.6 upgrade now, with 2/3 of our datacenters complete.  It took a bit longer because we added a new Redis caching tier to support the upgrade.

I'm happy to say that we're also working on upgrades that will let us be more responsive to new PHP versions in the future--you guys shouldn't have to wait this long, sorry about that.  We will fix it.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Head of WordPress, GoDaddy
    Helper II
    Helper II

New

Thanks for the insight and work.

It's always nice to get a reply from the company in question.

Wow this insight just mde my day. May I ask if it will be directly advertised to customers or need to check from time to time?

New

Hate to be pushy, but any update on this? I'm trying to use the Gravity2PDF plugin and it won't run on anything less then 5.6. I don't want to switch hosting if its just a week or so away, but if its much longer, I will have to look at my options.

New
    New

I am using Godaddy Deluxe Web Hosting Linux on Asia Pacific data center (Singapore) 

I have only php 5.3 and php 5.4 version available Smiley Sad I need at last php 5.6

What is your plant to support latest php support on Asia Pacific data center.

Hey @DCox@konvex,

PHP version 5.6 is currently available on our cPanel shared hosting plans. If you're on an older "Web Hosting" plan then these will not have 5.6 available. You'll need to consider purchasing a new cPanel shared hosting plan and moving your site content from the older hosting plan.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    New

This post is from April 16. still not php 7 available at GoDaddy?
    i have a CMS that need to be updated urgently for security reason and the last version is base on PHP 7.

New
    New

Bump!

It's year 2017. PHP 7.1 is stable for a while, v7 branch beating the hack with new language features, performance and stability improvements, tons of syntactic sugar and final multi-byte peace. But no. On godaddy shared hosting, your destiny ends with 5.6, periodically making you feel stupid or sad because of your hosting provider choice.

New

Yep. I'm workin' on a web application that requires user created libraries to work on php5 and so with random_int(). It's really been frustrating with the want to make this a lot quicker but due to php7 taking so long, it's really hard.

Thing is, godaddy is good for smaller websites like mine. Really is frustrating to have to wait in order to implement this. I mean, they are working on it. Just with the time that it's taking, feels like they are trying to reinvent the wheel. 

I'm really looking forward to moving to PHP 7.  Mine is a Laravel app that I like to keep on the latest stable Laravel version, and 5.5 is going to require PHP 7.0.    Laravel-News story

Wow. still 5.6, a very sad joke you are.

You won't get it here on GoDaddy. 1and1.com  has already 7.1. Enjoy Smiley Happy 

Hello Gabriel A. Mays,

I was relieved to see your 1/4/17 post saying cPanel will support PHP7 in the next couple months.

It's now late March and we need to upgrade one of our hosting plans soon. Today I called hosting support for an ETA on PHP7. All they could say was by end of December 2017. That is incomprehensible given that PHP5.6 went out of active support two months ago. I'm guessing you have, and they are unaware of, a much sooner target date.

They could not transfer me to you and suggested posting here requesting an update on the PHP7 deployment.

Thanks in advance,

aj

I have a vps/whm server how to make the update ?

New

What date did you reply to this thread? As of today 4/10/2017 php 7 is still not supported

Would also love PHP 7 - why is this not a top priority? The competition won't slow down.

New

Any Updates on this? Been waiting for this to drop for quite some time now, have had so man y different release dates on phone support.

PLease Give Us An Update!

Best

I am losing money waiting on GD to catch up - yet, every month, GD reaches into my pocket for service fees. not cool!

New

Well **bleep**! I thought you guys at GoDaddy knew your stuff. I need PHP7 as of right now, because I do not feel like going back and changing code that I've been working on for months.

Before I decided to let you host my site, I tried to find information about your PHP installation but I could not find any on your website. Being in a rush to get my stuff up and running I thought "they probably have the latest, they are a big company, after all", but nope!

Work faster because we pay you to deliver quality service.

Re: Newer version of PHP?. After

Right. After reading many of the posts here saying "Change to VPS..." Well, I AM a VPS client and they will charge you extra just to find out they don't know how to upgrade it. I installed the PHP 7.1 fine, no issues. But there is not a way to make it active. I've tried using the .htaccess file, all that did was to make the site not work. Now I'm looking for a solution. I called to complain, because I specifically ordered through GD to get PHP 7 and NOW, nothing, I'm stuck with 5.6. No tech support, false sales people promising everything. So now why did I sign up with GoDaddy, for 5 years?? I am regretting that decision right now.... THEY SUCK!!!

PHP 7 has been out for almost 1.5 years GoDaddy. I thought you guys were market leaders. 

Enough is enough! When will you guys deliver php 7.1? I'm thinking of canceling my account and going to another hosting company.

I will be leaving GoDaddy and filing with the Better Business Bureau if I don't receive some sort of communication about this issue soon. GoDaddy, treat your paying customers with respect and answer our questions in a straightforward manner. The lack of communication is the real issue here. I just spent 20 minutes waiting to talk to customer service to be told that they have no idea when it will be available. For all we know they haven't actually been working on it.

New

It is now May 2017 and latest CPanel PHP version is still 5.6

I don't believe "current" software is a feature or should be. The "upgrade" is constantly being held over our heads. My assumption from all this is Godaddy is not financially stable, I use another provider in Canada that upgraded to 7 very quickly to SUPPORT their customers. I will be leaving when my term is done regardless of an upgrade here or not.

I have lost confidence in Godaddy!

New

Your post from 1-04-17 states "To answer your questions about cPanel (web hosting) and Managed WordPress PHP versions, cPanel will support PHP7 in the next couple months and Managed WordPress will support it shortly after that.

For Managed WordPress, we're finishing the PHP 5.6 upgrade now, with 2/3 of our datacenters complete."

It is May 11 2017 & the latest version I see available is unsupported 5.4 What gives?

Am I missing something?

New
    New

Hi!

Is PHP 5.6 & upto PHP 7 available on "Wordpress Managed Hosting"? From my CPanel I could upgrade it only PHP 5.4.

Here we are, the end of May 2017.  Still no word on when we'll be able to upgrade to PHP 7.  I hear A2 has great pricing for nonprofit organizations.  If something doesn't happen soon with GD, I'm going to have to switch.  With a nonprofit budget, I cannot just upgrade to a VPS and make the PHP upgrade myself.  This is quite unfortunate, as I hate to have to move everything, but this apathetic approach to customer service isn't working.  I cannot be nickled and dimed, since there aren't any extra nickles and dimes to be had.  Way to stay behind the curve GD...thanks for nothing.

We need php 7.1

New

Hi Gabe, if you're still following this thread, please share a brief update. We need to make decisions and we'd rather know what's happening -- even if it's bad news -- than hear nothing after months of silence. Surely you can understand our needs in this case.

Looking forward to a prompt response.

Hey folks.

To answer your questions about cPanel (web hosting) and Managed WordPress PHP versions, cPanel will support PHP7 in the next couple months and Managed WordPress will support it shortly after that.

For Managed WordPress, we're finishing the PHP 5.6 upgrade now, with 2/3 of our datacenters complete.It took a bit longer because we added a new Redis caching tier to support the upgrade.

I'm happy to say that we're also working on upgrades that will let us be more responsive to new PHP versions in the future--you guys shouldn't have to wait this long, sorry about that.

We will fix it.

Gabriel A. Mays
    Head of WordPress Products, GoDaddy

I would like to add my name to those wanting PHP 7.

This upgrade would be appreciated.

Thanks.

currently rebuilding my website since godaddy failed to take payments then deleted my files and databases, the databases were backed up, but to go daddy servers..... then they wanted to charge me £100 to recover my files.....

to be honest, my website needed a bit of an overhaul so I began from the ground up again, I was just about to upload when I realised no php7....

with no idea when its going to be updated, no word for months, not happy anyway, I will be moving my service, like now... tonight, go daddy is not getting another penny from me !!

Helper I
    Helper I

You can get 5.6 at Godaddy, but no 7 for shared hosting accounts, I'm on the phone arguing with them today about it...!! I'm ready to change to another host. Been with them 10 years...but not that attached anymore.

Helper I
    Helper I

UPDATE! Supposedly, GoDaddy shared hosting customers will get a PHP 7 upgrade option the end of 4th quarter, this year (Dec 2017) ...but of course, no promises. but they say that's what the developers are working on. They always ask for feedback after phone calls, so I'm gonna share this thread with them...so all you guys will get your 2-cents in with GoDaddy.

Helper I
    Helper I

end of 4th quarter this year...all shared hosting accounts. Finally, at the very last second. (argh!)

New

Very frustrating.

Why did it ever take this long? Something is not right if GD can not keep up with technology. 

New

I am moving some of the Apps to 1and1.  Hopefully will have moved everything by end of the year

It is just a question of time. If you could block 1 day you could move things easily.  
    Obliged to do it due to some security things and Laravel

Good Bye and Good Luck