Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    leroyr
    Apprentice

Sending email notifications to subscribers

I have a personal Word Press blog with over 1100 subscribers hosted by GoDaddy. Domain name is leroyrice.com. I have not found an email notification plug in that works on my blog. For example I installed the "Email Subscribers & Newsletters" plug in" and set it up but emails don't go out. I tried it on a WordPress blog hosted by SiteGround under their free trial, and it works fine. Would that be an issue with the way PHP is set up, or perhaps that I have my GoDaddy hosted blog in a sub directory and not at root level of my hosting folder? The other difference between the SiteGround hosted site and the GoDaddy site is that I have not installed JetPack on my GoDaddy site but it is installed on the SiteGround hosted site. Could that plug in fix email issues?

6 REPLIES
    Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
    Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor

Re: Sending email notifications to subscribers

@leroyr

Not familiar with the plugin you mention and I don't use JetPack either... Smiley Wink 

Generally, speaking the two things to troubleshoot first is to make sure that you have an email address that is using the domain of your website in Settings > General > Email Address.

If that doesn't resolve the issue give an SMTP plugin a try.  If that's a no go you'll have to contact GoDaddy support for suggestions.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Hi @leroyr,

Because you do have wp setup in a folder and not the root there are several considerations.  One of which is how wp accesses all of the php functions.  You might find hidden issues with wp-cron and even some API calls if you looked closely.  If you're not using these functions then you won't see the problem , of course.  This can get to be a bit of a pain.  

Jetpack MIGHT seem to fix the problem, but it really isn't the solution.  If you moved your email/mx functions to ANY third party you'll probably have better luck than with your current set up, but once again no guarantee.

If your siteground installation was into a root directory and everything worked, you might also try this on a GoDaddy server.  If it works you'll know that the detail of "installing into a folder" was the main culprit in the problem, not the hosting platform.  I use business cPanel and love it.  ManagedWP Pro is also a good platform but right now does not quite have the flexibility of the cPanel.  Try your install on either one of these!

Hope this helps,
    James

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
    leroyr
    Apprentice

I tried installing the "WP Mail SMTP" plug in and get this error message:

Your site is running an outdated version of PHP that is no longer supported and may cause issues with WP Mail SMTP. Read more for additional information.

I assume that GoDafdy controls the version of PHP so it would seem that there is nothing I can do about it.

leroyr
    Apprentice

On further experimentation with "email users" I find that it will send an email to a single user just not to the whole subscriber list.  When it does send the single memail I ge this erroe message:

Warning: The number of users (1284) plus overhead exceeds the PHP max_input_vars setting (0). You will not be able to send email to more than -10 users in one batch. This can be changed by increasing the value of max_input_vars setting in the PHP.ini configuration file.

I looked through the files in my WP folder and did not find the "PHP.ini file".  Does anyone know where it resides?

Hi @leroyr,

What cPanel platform are you on?  This will determine the exact process.  However, here's the basics.  On the managedwp hosting, you'll use your sftp setting and upload a file called .user.ini.  This file typically looks similar to:

memory_limit = 4096M
    max_execution_time = 320
    max_input_time = 240
    post_max_size = 120M
    max_input_vars = 2000
    file_uploads = 6
    max_file_uploads = 20
    upload_max_filesize = 100M

If you are on cPanel, particularly one of the new platforms, use the dialog box for Software> PHP settings> and you can navigate to a simple change of the number of variables.  I'm just about through with a short 2 min video on this very topic.  Send me a private message if you'd like to see it in its raw state.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
    leroyr
    Apprentice
    Solution

I found the place to upgrade PHP on my account. It was under the menue item More/Programming Languages. I upgraded to PHP 5.6, hopefully this solves 1 issue.