• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Site down after update to WordPress 5.0

Attempted to update to WordPress 5.0 this morning and my site has been down ever since. 

Tried to reset back to 4.9.8 and nothing. 

1 REPLY 1
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: Site down after update to WordPress 5.0

Hey there!

Most likely what has happened is one of your plugins or themes isn't compatible with the new version of WordPress. When you updated, it tried to update some sort of coding in whatever wasn't compatible and then boom, website is down.

I'm willing to bet you're probably getting a WSOD (white screen of death) and it's probably throwing a 500 error.

It's pretty easy to determine what the issue is by turning on the wp-debug mode. Here's the instructions on how to do that.

After doing this, when you refresh your site, you'll probably see a fatal error of some sort and it will identify where the issue is and what's causing it. After that, you can simply delete the offending plugin/theme and you should be able to see your site again. You would need to then upload a fresh copy of the plugin or theme to see if it works. If it causes the same issue again, you should contact the plugin/theme developer for assistance, talk to GoDaddy about their WP Premium Support, or speak with a developer for assistance.

Hope that helps!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community