• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

What Happens if I don't renew my Hosting?

My managed wordpress hosting will need renewing at the end of next month but I am not sure if I want to keep the site as it is. I am currently looking into other ideas but wondered what will happen to the exsisting site if I don't renew? Will I be able to transfer the content to another Wordpress blog or renew at a later date?

3 REPLIES 3
    Rockstar II Rockstar II
    Rockstar II

Re: What Happens if I don't renew my Hosting?

@ElderberryArts

If you do not renew the hosting account gets shutdown.  No pay; no play. That means you will not have access to the site or files any longer and your domain will pull a 404 or temporary page of some sort. 

You'll want to contact GoDaddy directly to find out if there is a recovery window, what that is and if any charges will apply to restore everything for you if you allow your plan to expire.

What you need to do is backup all your files and database now so that if you do not make your decision on time you have all your data.   If you are going to move, start that now.  You'll need the time between now and then to move the site and to provide enough time for your domain to propagate to the new location.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Worry is a misuse of imagination." ~Unknown

Hello and thank you. I spoke to someone from Go Daddy who said that I won't be able to access the site at all after the renewal date and that it costs $150 to reactivate!

I am condering moving the site as I have another elsewhere but I don't know how to back it all up so that I can access it from my computer even if I cannot through Go Daddy. I do not want to lose all my content. Is it done using a plugin in the admin section?

Rockstar II Rockstar II
    Rockstar II
    Solution

@ElderberryArts

Good thing you checked -- now you know what you need to do!

Checkout the WP-DBManager plugin for backups.  There are other backup plugins, but WPDBM is simple for the task at hand.  Install that and backup.  Then FTP into the server with Filezilla and download your database backup to your local hard drive.

While you are in there, download the entire wp-content folder.  That will have all your media, plugins and themes. 

You'll also want to download your XML file:  Tools > Export.

By having all the above you'll be able to duplicate your site on your new host.   Most Managed WordPress hosts offer free migration services -- take them up on that if that option is available to you.  If not, there are also plugins to help with that too.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Worry is a misuse of imagination." ~Unknown