• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

What files do I need to copy across to my local server for me to edit my WordPress website?

Hi all 

Im trying to work on my website via my pc.then upload it when i feel its finished.

I have installed a local server usbwebserver which includes

Apache version - 2.4.29

PHP version 7.1.11

PHPMyAdmin version - 4.7.5

MySQL version - 5.6.34

I also have wordpress 5.2.3

I also installed FileZilla, logged onto the sftp as per the credentials given on the gd website (currently downloading)

My question is what files do i need to copy across to my local server for me to edit my website in it

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: Downloading my managed wp site

@gorhad 

While WordPress can be run locally and then using a plugin like All-in-One Backup to transfer between local and "remove" - Most develop / build their site right on the server.

As this is Managed WordPress you might run into some issues with the GoDaddy specific plugins, you would also need to adjust the wp-config.php file for your local installation.

If you are concerned about building it out online and people seeing it, 1) You can wait to point your live domain to it and just use the myftpupload.com temp domain until you are ready or 2) there are some "coming soon" plugins that allow you put up a landing page and bypass it as long as you are plugged in.

Generally speaking, I find it best to work right on the server unless there is a technical / logistical reason you cannot

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted

Thanks for your input. Meantime i copied all the files to my server folder . Everything works.like bringing up homepage (http://localhost:8080) but when i type in /wp-admin it goes to the dashboard pahe on .com site  There must be a php file thats directing it to there and not my local host

Super User III
    Super User III

That or it is in the database that way.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

is there a way i can edit whichever file so it will work

Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

More than likely you will need to go into your database utility and look in the WP options table one of the first lines should be the URL for the side and you can change at your local host

so go into phpmyadmin