cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper I
    Helper I

Re: Wordpress Managed PHP Version

+1 this upgrade is desperately needed! Wondering if it would have been better to stick with regular c-panel...I do like managed WP for clients though...

Super User III
    Super User III

Ok - so it is now into October - Any update as to the timeline on this

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New

(Sorry, my browser did not display all posts at first – please delete this)

Re: When is PHP 7 coming to WordPress Managed Hosting?

Hello @Gabe and @CG,

I was curious if there was any more updates on this. The last update was almost 2 months ago, with the same information from almost 5 months ago. PHP 7.0 is almost halfway though it's active support. I have used GoDaddy hosting for almost 6 years now. Your support has always been amazing, but this is kinda taking for ever. 

Yesterday I started looking into alternative share hosting plans with other companies that support PHP7. I would switch over to a VPS but I can't justify that price (359.88$ for the first year and then 479.88 every year after that) for less then a handful of websites just to support PHP7.

I am still looking, but I am really hoping their is update news on this front, because I have always loved GoDaddy and would hate to have to leave over something as small as shared hosting not supporting PHP 7.

Lastly, I don't even understand the excuse that not all plugins support PHP7, if someone decides to use a PHP version they should be smart enough to know they are opting into a version of PHP that not all the plugins are going to work.

Product Team
    Product Team

@mouse0270 Good question.

We're on the tail end of upgrading our caching tier to Redis.  We're working hard to finish the Redis upgrade roll out, PHP 5.6 upgrade and MySQL 5.6 upgrade by the end of next month.

I agree with you on PHP7.  However, the transition for hosts has been much harder than anticipated, which is why even the high priced premium Managed WordPress hosts haven't fully migrated yet.

I don't have a timeline for PHP7 yet, but I can tell you that we're already working on it.  I agree with you, once we upgrade to PHP7 it'll be the default for new sites, with the option to switch back to PHP 5.6 if there are compatibility issues.  For existing/migrated sites we'd love to scan for PHP7 compatibility then upgrade them if compatible, with the option to remain on PHP 5.6 if there are compatibility issues.

Thanks for the patience on this @mouse0270.  We are working on it and we want this as much as you do.  As WordPress enthusiasts, we'd love to have been on PHP7 a year ago, but with a platform with millions of active customer sites we have to be careful not to break things since customers are trusting us with their business.  I apologize we're not moving faster, but I promise you we're working on it.

If you'd like to try PHP 7 sooner you could always try our Cloud product.  It's unmanaged like VPS and advanced, but supports PHP7 and has a 30-day free trial to try it out.

Thanks for checking in @mouse0270, I appreciate your feedback.

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Head of WordPress, GoDaddy
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @emsoft please see my update above, sorry for not tagging you!

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

Hello @Gabe I left out some details, because this was the only PHP7 forum I saw that appeared to have gotten any attention.

So if you don't mind, I would like to ask for one further clarification, so I can make the best decision possible for my business. I actually didn't even know you had Managed WordPress Hosting, as I am on you Web Hosting. 

Does the Web Hosting Package full under the same development as the Managed WordPress Hosting, or should I be looking into creating my own forum question get specifics related to Web Hosting PHP7 support?

Product Team
    Product Team

@mouse0270  Web Hosting is a separate product and should be getting PHP7 as an option sooner because it's an unmanaged platform, thus has much more flexibility.

I don't know the timeline on that product, but they are working on it.  I believe once they upgrade from EasyApache 3 to 4 it should be pretty straightforward to make PHP7 available.

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

Woocommerce updated today and due to this outdated PHP version, my customers can no longer purchase items. I will be leaving GoDaddy very soon because of this issue and the extreme delay in updating their wordpress hosting product.

Very bad experience.

Employee
    Employee

@TheTownKitchen Thanks for reaching out here. We're working to update as quickly as possible, while ensuring the update won't negatively impact existing customers. I hope you ultimately decide to stay and we appreciate you hanging in there with us!

Naterx - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

hi am suffering same with woocommerce we need php 5.6 + asap i cant sell on my site any more 

when the update is coming am losing sales 

Advocate I

Agreed - we are losing LOTS of WooCommerce sales with the site crashing constantly as well as mid-purchase, causing customers to leave in anger.

What is the progress on upgrading PHP for Managed WP?? Please, GoDaddy, this is seriously impacting us and has gone on for far too long!

Were still waiting on this? Please advise you folks were saying next month in July… :/

Poor service guys!!  Losing sales also.  Communication please!!!!  

Hey guys,

Any update on this? I am relaunching a website that needs a plugin with updated PHP and want to launch in the next week or two, if the update will be ready please let me know so I don't have to find a new host.

Cheerio.

URGENT UPDATE TO PHP 5.6 needed!

@sniggle wrote:

Hey guys,

Any update on this? I am relaunching a website that needs a plugin with updated PHP and want to launch in the next week or two, if the update will be ready please let me know so I don't have to find a new host.

Cheerio.

Also would appreciate an urgent update on this matter Gabe? The versions supported on godaddy of 5.4 and 5.5 are already end of life as shown in this link on the php site itself!

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Version 5.6 is desperately needed for most savvy designers and webmasters! Especially as this will only be security supported from the end of 2016 (just a month or so away????).

Come on GoDaddy, I am paying for fit for purpose hosting, not fit for the trash hosting!!

Re: URGENT UPDATE TO PHP 5.6 needed!

Hmmm, maybe time to take hosting elsewhere as the service has been appalling.  No communication, no updates.  Not good GoDaddy!  

They have been saying end of month after x weeks soon enough work is progressing.. And nothing

Seriously we are losing sales here and we can't open our new site because of plugins requiring latest versions of x and y

We bought the package so we don't have to worry about this stuff not to come and beg u for updates

You should allow us to change to cpanle for free if you guys are taking forever to keep things up to date it's cheaper to pay someone to update our website than losing sales over stupid software update
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hey folks, tagging everyone since my last comment so you all see the update:

@Allabuzz54 @PL281 @philby @TheTownKitchen @AliOAlShamsi @hollywooddesign @VictoriaB @Jgreen0586 @sniggle @timmyhifi @markjb

First, thank you all for being patient with this.  In my September 26th update we estimated we were 6-7 weeks out.  We're roughly on schedule.  In full transparency, here's what's going on:

• PHP 5.6
      • As mentioned, upgrading our caching tier to Redis is required to upgrade to PHP 5.6.  We're on the tail end of that and will begin rolling it out to all data centers this week and next.
      • Once that's complete we can upgrade all data centers to PHP 5.6.
      • Risks: Issues with the Redis rollout could delay the upgrade, but things are progressing as expected so far.
    • MySQL 5.6
      • We're in the process of rolling it out in a test state to all data centers.  If those tests pass we can upgrade all customers and update the timestamps.
      • Risks: Like with PHP, issues with the server update could delay the upgrade, but things are progressing as expected.

We're making significant updates in multiple datacenters across the better part of a million Managed WordPress sites, so the complexity is high, but the last few weeks have been going well and we don't anticipate any major issues in the next couple weeks as we wrap this up.

I appreciate you all being patient with this, we've been working hard over the past few months to get this done--it's been a massive initiative and getting this wrapped up is our top priority.  Feel free to tag me if you guys have any other questions.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Advocate I

Considering how outdated php version 5.4 is and since its EOL , What is godaddy doing to mitigate the risks of using such a version.

Currently on my hosting i have a paid plugin i no longer can update due to requiring 5.6 +

This plugins cost a bit of money per year as a subscription where updates are provided regularly.
    I am also setting up a eCommerce site that uses woocommerece with shows warnings about needing 5.6, The new host was just brought for this only to find out godaddy is super lazy with security of there core applications.

Can we expect an update before x-mas or should we all start looking for new hosting providers ?

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @Toady  If you look at the update right above your post you'll see the updated timelines with the expectation to finish this month and some additional detail.  I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hi Everyone.  I'm happy to say we've completed the upgrade to MySQL 5.6 and it's fully rolled out to all customers in all datacenters.

The Redis and PHP 5.6 upgrades are still underway and we're aiming to wrap them up next week.  See my post from last week for more details.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

Is this upgrade including the shared hosting plans as well?  Thanks.

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @chuckerator.  This thread is about Managed WordPress, but you can find the Shared Hosting forum here.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

@Gabe- any update on the PHP upgrade?

@Gabe I would love an update, as well. 

Product Team
    Product Team

Hey folks, thanks for pinging me for an update.  h/t @dooren12 @jcallery

We were able turn on Redis for a subset of customers, but experienced issues with the full rollout we're working through now.  These issues are causing delays, but we're working through them.  Once the Redis issues are resolved and it is rolled out we'll be able to roll out PHP 5.6 within a few days.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

Dear GoDaddy,

What's the status on the upgrade to PHP 5.6? The below post was over 6 months ago and still no sign of it...

I have plugins that are starting to require it.

Thanks,

Cam

New

Dear host,

I’m running a WooCommerce webshop on one of your servers and WooCommerce has recommended PHP version of 5.6. WordPress, the CMS that WooCommerce uses, has also listed this version as the recommended PHP version on their requirements page: https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

Can you please let me know if my hosting supports PHP 5.6 or higher and how I can upgrade?

Looking forward to your reply.

Bump on this.  I have a client locked into a ten year contract, and in addition to other problems with your cache layer (stripping out of UTM tags categorically), I understand that 5.4.45 may be one and a half years old, but PHP 5.5 series has been available since at least 2013.  There are many important use cases for supporting at least 5.5, 5.6 or ideally 7 ( best case would to have a user select their own version ).  Many other Managed Wordpress hosting environments support very important and increasingly standardized things such as PSR compliance on several levels (autoload especially) and many modern Wordpress frameworks lean heavily on Composer.  This is an opportunity to take GoDaddy from a relatively decent DNS provider to a reputable hosting provider as well.

Product Team
    Product Team

Hey folks, here's an update to my post from Wednesday.

PHP 5.6 is rolled out to customers in our East Coast and European datacenters.  We're still in the process of rolling it out to our West Coast datacenter.

In case you missed the previous update, MySQL 5.6 is rolled out to all customers in all datacenters.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Product Team
    Product Team

Hello @clarner66 @zenfx @jawshchevyvan please see the above updates, you might have missed them--they should answer your questions.

Regarding PHP 7, it's already in the works.  Expect an update at the end of next quarter.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    New

Hello @Gabe

Could you please advise on the procedure I should follow to deal with the much urgently needed php upgrade? is this something support can go through and activate over the phone? I need to be launching my website + woo commerce store on thursday and a number of features are not working because of outdated php. I am surprised by this since we pay a premium service.

Please advise me on what procedure to follow! Thank you!

Product Team
    Product Team

Hello @sejkko

Please see the update above.  We're rolling it out to customers as we're able.  It's currently rolled out to 2/3 of our data centers and we're hard at work on the last one.  I've provided more detail in the updates above in case you're interested.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    New

Hello @Gabe

Thank you for your quick reply. I noticed that you said that EU data centres were update, and that should mean that I see my php updated since I am in Europe but nothing there yet. I was planning to phone support first thing tomorrow morning because I am panicking about my woo commerce issues. Considering I am in Europe and that I am calling support first thing in the morning it would be great if you could let me know what to say. The waiting game can mean for me that a promised launch does not happen. Very grateful in advance for your advise

Thank you!

Yeah I am also getting the WooCommerce message. When will the 5.6 be ready. Thanks

I appreciate your team executing on this, finally.

FWIW, Wordpress.org now recommends PHP 7. It's dishonest to offer this product as "Premium WordPress Hosting platform: built specifically for WordPress to optimize the speed, reliability and security of your site," when at a given point of time for years, it hasn't. 

How can any of that product description be accurate if the subject hosting doesn't adhere to the application's stated environment recommendations? same goes for your subsidiary Media Temple's WordPress hosting.

I understand how and why hot tech startups sell products before making them, but that's not you; you're GoDaddy; you're the big boy, the established leader. You play the Egyptians in Prince of Egypt's "Playing With the Big Boys." You're offerings have improved significantly over the past couple years, but this particular item is very troublesome to think about.

Highlighted
    Helper IV Helper IV
    Helper IV

I have heard that PHP7 breaks many plugins and themes. I think until it's been out and tested for a while it should not be the default PHP version for Managed WordPress. Having an option to turn it on on a site by site basis would be nice to evaluate on staging before launching, but blanket upgrading to PHP7 would be a disaster for a proportion of customers creating a ton of unnecessary support tickets.

I look forward when PHP7 and the WordPress' ecosystem are fully compatible, but there are enough gotchas right now for anyone that has installed several plugins and themes to be aware.

Note that plugins and themes rarely say whether they are PHP7 compatible, and a recommendation by WordPress does not mean it is a requirement. A recommendation means WordPress core runs best on PHP7 and is fully compatible, but probably 99% of WordPress websites that run on outside of WordPress.com have at least 1 plugin and/or theme installed which may break and needs to be fixed.

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
    "At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

All I want for Christmas is for GoDaddy to get PHP 5.6 done! This is ridiculous to wait this long. I hope the new hardware makes it possible to update to new PHP versions without an entire overhaul like this one. Gabe, is GoDaddy going to keep Managed Wordpress up to date from now on or should I just move my sites to another server? I am not going to go through this again.

Ann

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Looks like you'll get your Christmas wish!  Smiley Wink

GoDaddy is updating to PHP 5.6 right now... See thread from yesterday:

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Managing-WordPress/Managed-WordPress-site-is-still-running-4-6-1/t...

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I updated my wordpress site with a new website builder plugin and it's saying my system isn't compatible and to contact the webhost.

Here's the message I got...

Your PHP version is not compatible.Please contact your webhost tech support and have them upgrade your server to use a faster, safer, and more modern version of PHP. Tell them you need to be running at least on PHP version 5.3.6, but 5.4, 5.5, and 5.6 are even better, because each newer version gets faster and more secure.

How can I fix this??

Thank you!

New

Please update the php version. 

New

Hi @Gabe, What is the status re the timing of the php update? Thanks, Dan

Product Team
    Product Team

Hello @ashields and @DNunez. The PHP upgrade is in progress and should be wrapped up shortly after the holiday break.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Product Team
    Product Team

@gorams Hi Dan.  It's still in progress.  2/3 of datacenters are complete and all newly created sites receive PHP 5.6.  The upgrade will resume after the holidays.  To ensure things go smoothly we're also adding new hardware capacity to the remaining datacenter.

Thanks and happy holidays Dan,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

Hi Gabe, would you think this could have anything to do with the error message I'm receiving on my dashboard:

Error [111] connecting to the Redis Proxy: Connection refused.

Kindly advice.

Thanks

I had the same error message today, I called support (Jesse) and he was able to fix it by updating a GoDaddy specific file on the server. Recommend you chat with GD support folks if you haven't yet...

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi @Lifemangado  Contact support and they can resolve that issue for you as @bdwebdesign mentioned.  That's an unfortunate result of running into the holiday season during the infrastructure upgrade.  It'll be resolved once we finish the upgrade work.  Sorry about that, I know it's annoying.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays

Hi Gabe:

Thank you so much for being on top of this.

I am seeing an increasing number of the popular WP plugins failing to install because they are built against the later version of PHP. What is interested is that WordPress tags these plugins as being compatible with the current version of WP

What I have also seen in the new version of WP, is that just applying the upgrade can blow up a site. I did an upgrade but did not touch any plugin. I have a site die because an existing plugin was calling a WP function (register special include) that utilized newer PHP functionality. I had to go in and stub out the code and put in back level functionality within the plugin.

It will make things so better when you are able to complete the upgrade

This thread started last year and now has 6,211 views and 98 replies. Still there is no updated PHP 5.6 available for Wordpress. I have been following this thread since last summer as I am launching a site in a couple weeks and need PHP 5.6. I REALLY like Godaddy as a company but you guys are dropping the ball in this area. 

I am requesting that you please push this thread to whomever within the organization is responsible for decision making particularly as it relates to customer DEMAND.