• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    adam-fx
    Skilled

staging site timeout on verizon network

Here's a good one, im baffled and not able to work on my site... any help is appreciated.

My wordpress production site it totally fine up and running anywhere. My staging site times out on verizon networks based on the following:

• Tried at home (verizon fios) staging times out
    • Office (20 miles away, verizon fios) staging site times out
    • My wife's phone (verizon wireless, not wifi) staging site times out
    • My phone (Att wireless) works!
    • Godaddy tech (not verizon, not sure their carrier) works!
    • Site appears on all geopeeker sites
    • I reinstalled staging 3 times over

I got it to work yesterday at home, it just started to work randomly and was fine for hours. Today at my office, staging isn't working. I didn't check at home today because I thought all was fine, but clearly not. Any suggestions??? What is going on?

24 REPLIES 24

Re: staging site timeout on verizon network

Hey @adam-fx,

Generally when this sort of issue occurs, it means there is some sort of block or filter either within the local network or your ISP that is interfering with the connection the site.

You mentioned uninstalling/reinstalling the staging a few times the night before when it started to work again. Have you tried clearing local cache settings from your work network to be sure you weren't just resolving to the stored results from the previous testing attempts?

Beyond that, I'd recommend reaching out to either your network admin or ISP to be sure they're allowing the connection to your staging site.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    adam-fx
    Skilled

Thanks @CG for the response, here's an update and more details on the issue: 

I have a support ticket out to the ISP, they are looking into it and hope to have a response in the next day or so. This is frustrating as it appears to be geographically local so its not on everyone's radar.

• This issue is with all my clients staging sites... not just one.
    • This is happening at multiple locations, many miles apart so its beyond a local issue.
    • I have cleared cached, flushed dns, release/renew dns, etc.
    • I can access the staging sites via proxy websites
    adam-fx
    Skilled

hi @CG,

So verizon says its not them, I contacted godaddy tech and they said again, its not GoDaddy. Im in limbo...

Then magically, randomly it worked. Right now I see my staging site. I just ran two tracert

1 2 ms <1 ms 1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms lo0-100.NYCMNY-VFTTP-411.verizon-gni.net [71.167.191.1]
    3 11 ms 37 ms 7 ms B3411.NYCMNY-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [100.41.2.158]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 3 ms 3 ms 22 ms 0.et-11-0-2.BR2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [140.222.239.35]
    6 * 5 ms 12 ms 204.255.173.54
    7 29 ms 56 ms 30 ms ae-1-11.bear2.Washington111.Level3.net [4.69.210.178]
    8 12 ms 13 ms 36 ms 4.14.98.38
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 82 ms 13 ms 57 ms ip-184-168-6-93.ip.secureserver.net [184.168.6.93]
    11 11 ms 60 ms 17 ms ip-184-168-6-92.ip.secureserver.net [184.168.6.92]
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 24 ms 34 ms 15 ms ip-198-71-232-7.ip.secureserver.net [198.71.232.7]

Trace complete.

1 3 ms 1 ms 50 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 6 ms 2 ms 2 ms lo0-100.NYCMNY-VFTTP-411.verizon-gni.net [71.167.191.1]
    3 10 ms 6 ms 42 ms B3411.NYCMNY-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [100.41.2.158]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 36 ms 5 ms 5 ms 0.et-11-0-2.BR2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [140.222.239.35]
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 14 ms 11 ms 9 ms 4.14.98.38
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 18 ms 10 ms 12 ms ip-184-168-6-93.ip.secureserver.net [184.168.6.93]
    11 12 ms 10 ms 89 ms ip-184-168-6-92.ip.secureserver.net [184.168.6.92]
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 22 ms 14 ms 19 ms ip-198-71-232-7.ip.secureserver.net [198.71.232.7]

Trace complete.

the other day i ran a tracert on a staging site that worked and the difference is that line with the level3.net was in it. I dont know whats going on but it's somewhere in there the issue and its inconsistent. Ill see how long this lasts but since this issue arised, it will timeout eventually. Im really jsut looking for answers, not blaming the other guy.

***UPDATE*** within the hour, it timed out again. Back to it not working again.

RebeccaH
    Novice

Any luck with this? I am in Maryland and having the same issue with a GoDaddy staging site. I've only been able to get to it once or twice, at random times. The rest of the time, it times out. It's maddening. If you find a solution, please share it. 

adam-fx
    Skilled

@RebeccaH still nothing. Verizon said last Thursday they would look into it. But they insist its beyond their network. 

That is good information that you are in Maryland, I think more people need to come forward if they have this issue...it is maddening. At this time my only suggestion it to use kproxy.com or similar proxy site, this allows me to access my staging site but its far from acceptable.

sacilk
    Novice

I had the same issue in Boston. My website was inaccessible as of 10/31/17 to anyone on the Verizon network. I went back and forth with Verizon network support and GoDaddy hosting support. Both insisted that it was not their issue. Last night I moved my website to SiteGround and the issue is resolved. It appears that Verizon is blocking GoDaddy's server for some reason. GoDaddy would not move my site to another server, but instead offered me the option to upgrade to the pro plan or purchase a CDN package. However, they could not guarantee that it would fix the problem. I suggested that someone should contact Verizon to see why they were blocking them, but they said Verizon had not contacted them, so that wasn't the issue. Luckily my site is personal and only used for job search purposes. Good luck to you. Hope they are able to resolve this issue. It sounds like many people are having the same problem. 

adam-fx
    Skilled

3 weeks later, the staging site still time's out. Here is where I am:

• Verizon says that it clears the northeast region and they insist they have tried everything on their end to help.
    • GoDaddy insists everything is clear on their end (the site loads for them locally).
    • Verizon says it might have to do with level3.net or now centurylink as they are the middle man of sorts (my terminology) and could be causing issues with relaying properly to some of godaddy's servers. If this is true, GoDaddy should be looking into it. This doesn't effect all my staging sites, just some, so its a server to server issue.

My solution... I can access the staging site using a VPN service, so in a way, I gave up as I need to work on my client's site and not troubleshooting things that are beyond my control and/or not widespread enough for it to be escalated. 

jennysee
    Novice

I'm having the exact same problem with my staging site, via Verizon, in Maryland. At the suggestion of the GoDaddy tech I tried accessing it on my phone using a cellular connection and it came up. Of course it comes up for GoDaddy, too. They sent me to Verizon. I haven't contacted Verizon yet but I know what to expect, especially after seeing this thread. Maddening.

adam-fx
    Skilled

@jennysee Thank you for adding to this thread, you're the second person from Maryland with the issue now on here. I feel like the only way this will have any chance of getting solved is if there are enough people with the issue.

FWIW, to get anywhere with verizon, it's best to have a business account as the residential tech service is very slow and you will be re-routed many times before you get to someone who can understand this specific issue.

Please add here any updates you might have. Hopefully more people contribute to this thread as well.

jsmaloney
    Skilled

I'm in a suburb near Cleveland Ohio and I'm running into the same problems, but I have broadband internet through Spectrum Cable.  When I connected my laptop with a CAT5 cable right into our cable modem, I was able to connect to the dashboard of the staging site.  However, if I try to use the wireless network in our house or a CAT5 through our router, I keep getting the timed out error.  I was in an online chat with a GoDaddy support person for almost an hour the other night and when she suggested I try it through my phone (carrier is Verizon) I was able to connect. She suggested that I delete the history and cache in my browser and that seemed to resolve the problem the other night, but that was while I was connected directly to our cable modem.

I was able to connect earlier today when I was using a guest wireless network at a local business.  Why would I be running into problems getting connected when trying to go through our wireless at home or our router?  It doesn't make any sense.  I have another couple websites that I built through the GoDaddy Business Website Builder product and I have never had any issues getting to those sites.  It's just with this Managed WordPress product that I am having all kinds of problems. 

slsgg
    Novice

I'm having the same issue in Massachusetts, both at the office and at home. I have Verizon at both places. I've chatted with GoDaddy three times now. They finally were able to see the staging site on their end and said it's probably my ISP. Not sure what else to do. Can I really edit my staging site on a proxy site? Should I try a traceroute? (I don't know how to though.) This is frustrating! The GoDaddy rep I had today said they haven't heard of this happening to anyone else...and then I found this thread.

jsmaloney
    Skilled

For now, I am able to work with the staging site when I have my laptop connected with a CAT5 cable directly to my cable modem.  When I get the time, I will have to do research to see how I can change the settings on my router to eliminate whatever is blocking me from working with the staging site through our wireless network in the home.  I was able to access the staging site with my laptop through a wireless network at a nearby business.  I also tried logging into the staging site using one of the other PCs in our home that also connects to the Internet through our wireless network and I again got the same timeout message.  This suggests that I should be able to figure out what to change on our router settings to eliminate the problem.  GoDaddy tech support should get training to stop simply suggesting it's a problem with the providers of our Internet service.  It's an easy way for them to just get us off the phone rather than try to understand why their customers are having these problems when trying to work with a staging site through a wireless network. 

adam-fx
    Skilled

@slsgg if you speak to GoDaddy again and they say they haven't heard about this issue, while on the phone, I recommend you tell them to visit this thread.  I can partially understand them only escalating this issue if enough people are having issue this issue.

In regards to proxy,  Yes you can work via proxy site... I work on my site using WAMP then upload via proxy as another workaround. 

Traceroute gives you information on how your computer is connecting to a specific URL you request. There is lots of info online about it. Its information to help solve issues, its not a workaround solution.

adam-fx
    Skilled

@jsmaloney Your issue appears to be different from ours. You are having an issue with wireless versus cat5 connection. This issue is specifically related to people on verizon (not spectrum) unable to connect wireless and/or hardline (not one or the other). Might be best to start your own thread on your issue. Good luck!

jodieotte
    Novice

site timeout on verizon network

I'm having the exact same problems as OP. I have been in limbo for my new businesses for a year now because I cannot get reliable times I can update. Right now, I cannot update ANYTHING on my websites. Not even one character or one small image. Nothing. I have been on the phone with godaddy off and on about this issue and they have told me all kinds of things.

It's my network (false)

It's wordpress (false)

It could be malware, here, buy this from us (nope and false)

It's because you don't update your wordpress or plugsins (uh.... I can't when I keep getting timeouts for hours at a time)

I'm done.  Today we did trace routes and look at your traceroute,  you have a problem at level3.net's ping......  Yes, I have request time outs when getting to my site but I get even more when getting to godaddy's site also going through level3.net but that one has a the-go-dadd.bear1. prior to level 3..... huh..... and I can make changes in my godaddy account but not on my own site hosted by godaddy.  That tells me that this is not my problem but godaddy's problem.  I've also tried from other places, even from another state, and still come up with this timeout/connection reset issue.  How could it be my ISP if it happens with other ISPs as well?

I'm working on researching other hosts... I'm done.  Completely done.  I'm very well networked and whoever I go with that does not have these problems will be boosted in referrals.

jodieotte
    Novice

I'm also in Maryland.

I had this issue with HostGator years ago (Host Gator blocked Verizon - yup)... and that is why I went to GoDaddy... then it happened with GoDaddy if I'm not mistaken, years ago (I have been with Godaddy for quite a few years), and miraculously, they fixed that issue and if I remember correctly, they told me they had to "unblock" verizon.  yeah... and now all of a sudden they are saying it's not them but verizon but verizon says it's not verizon but godaddy....  do a google search on connection reset and godaddy on google and  you will find, we are not alone, but  yet this is "our problem" not godaddy's.

jodieotte
    Novice

Godaddy should switch us (Maryland/Verizon) out to new servers if there is a conflict here.  That is what customer service does - they fix the issue.  Godaddy has no intentions of fixing this and making it work for us.

I'm glad to hear that switching to a new web hosting works.  I'm on it.

JohnB713
    Novice

It's not just Maryland/Verizon. I'm in Texas and we don't use Verizon. Same issue as everyone else. We do route through level3.

I'm going to see if I can edit my Windows hosts file.

geniel
    Novice

I'm in Canada on MTS and experiencing the same problem with not connecting to my staging site.  The techs at Godaddy did try, but they can't see anything wrong at their end.  While I we were speaking suddenly I could access the site, but he said he hadn't done anything.  After that it was gone again, I called the Carrier MTS and he said he couldn't see anything wrong. As I was talking to him, suddenly it started working.  He said all had been doing was pinging it.  Now of course it's gone again. Traceroute shows multiple timeouts, but I really don't know how to interpret this.  Has anyone tried a hard reset of their router?

TM28-Dig
    Skilled

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm in NYC and I have been unable to access my website for months. I have a long detailed post here (with no replies or suggested fixes). 

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Managing-Domains/quot-Took-Too-Long-Respond-quot-Website-Hasn-t-Lo...

I have also spoken to support today on the phone and they offer no help, only the basic troubleshooting issues. I have contacted my IT friend who ran an investigation through it and told me it's GoDaddy's issue and that the server where I'm hosted in is unreliable. He suggested that I call GoDaddy up and ask them to switch servers, or just plain switch hosting company. I'm completely annoyed and frustrated. When I suggested this as a fix, the GoDaddy agent told me that moving my website to another server is not possible. I have a feeling if I paid a bit more for a different hosting plan, it'll work again but I don't understand why I should because I've done nothing wrong.

Just like with geniel who posted above, my website also loaded again while speaking to the agent and he also said "I didn't do anything". My website stopped loading shortly after. Resetting the router doesn't help. And even if it did, I can't tell every single visitor or potential client who visits my website to reset their router if they can't view it.

geniel
    Novice

It's quite the runaround.  Fortunately for me my live site still comes up although since I last tested it, it's page speed has quadrupled!  They must give the staging sites less priority. They suggested by that by deleting and recreating my staging site it might luck into a different route and fix the delays.  This did not fix a thing. Although I know this is just a workaround that only helps me get access to my staging site, I had no choice but to change my internet service provider from MTS to Shaw who has a faster service.  NEVERTHELESS, even on Shaw, the staging still loads slowly and goes to the 'site could not be reached' before it pops up. I did not know that I'm in a contract I can't leave for 3 years either.  I had briefly tried Blue Host and they had a fair refund policy.  How I wish that I had not left! 

TM28-Dig
    Skilled

Thanks for the information! I was considering BlueHost, however my hosting still has months left. I spoke to an agent of the last time recently and he said that the problem is actually so complex that it's impossible to know exactly where it's from. Neither my ISP or GoDaddy is to blame, apparently. Something unknown is not allowing access to my website in my overall area. The IP address of my website is being routed incorrectly and no one knows why. He suggested I switch my hosting to cPanel instead. It did "fix" the problem. I can access my website again, however, I don't consider this a real solution.

Luckily, my content was very easy to redo. I didn't bother migrating as it's a little complex for me, and GoDaddy's migration fee is $100. I could see why e-commerce shops or more complex websites may need better hosting. After this, I might go with DreamHost's dedicated Wordpress hosting....

Ouadie
    Novice

We have this issue as well.   Can't connect to a staging site on Wordpress Managed hosting.  It works however when VPN is enabled.

Also, it works good on 4G LTE or any other network besides ours.

ReydesHL
    Novice

After going crazy for several days, i discovered this post.

Same issues, but I'm from Italy.

Cannot access my website from several spots that share same ISP. VPN and 4G LTE works.

The blame is 100% on GoDaddy in my opinion. I'm proceeding with a domain transfer to another service.