cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

wordpress. Which site is it connected too? .com or .org

Hello Community.

I want to purchase wordpress to build my website.

I believe wordpress.org is the one to use.

which one is GoDaddy connected too?

1 REPLY 1
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: wordpress. Which site is it connected too? .com or .org

@ShannonRose199 

WordPress.com is the commercially hosted side of WordPress. They provide a closed hosting system that they maintain, which limits certain capabilities on what you can do with your WordPress site but they take care of things like security and database maintenance, etc.

WordPress.org is where all the open source files for the WordPress installation and the self-help community are found. No websites are actually hosted here. It's just a repository for installation files, plugins, themes, and documentation pertaining to the WP program.

When you host at a place like GoDaddy, it's called a self-hosted WordPress. This means that you are responsible for the upkeep of all the things pertaining to your WordPress site. You have to pay for the server, you have to make sure the site is secure, you have to make sure maintenance is done, etc. This, in my opinion, is the best way to go if you want to be able to kit out your site the way you want. 

So, to answer your question, you're not hosting your site on .org or .com if you're using GoDaddy. You have a self-hosted WordPress site.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community