cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

A huge price for a domain renewal

Hello all!

I was faced with an unpleasant situation. I did not renew my domain in time and now it's blocked 4 days. This domain is in the .PL zone and I couldn't renew it myself (This feature is unavailable for this TLD). A girl from the support told me that she could do it for $ 140. She explained such a high price by a special policy for regional domains. Can the domain renewal cost so much?

I am confused. On the https://dns.pl/cennik_dla_rejestratorow, the renewal of .PL domain names costs for registrars about $ 10.

Actually, the question, is there a way to renew the domain at an adequate price?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: A huge price for a domain renewal

@shepilovdaniel 

.PL is what is known as a country code TLD or ccTLD, in this instance Poland. These types of domains with those TLDs are controlled by special governance from their owners/countries of origin. The reason it costs less on the other site is you would be purchasing directly from a company in that country. There can be positives and negatives about doing it that way, so do your research on the company first.

GoDaddy itself doesn't make a lot of money of domain registration or renewal, as the prices are not set by them. There is a bit of a markup to maintain the system, but their overall profit from this is only as big as it is due to the number of people that register through their system. It's not a cheat, just a cost of doing business and selling that ccTLD outside of the country it's from. Kind of like a tariff.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hey Joe @MrVapor,

Thank you for reply. https://dns.pl/ is not just "the other site". This is "a national research institute, maintains the registry of the country code domain, enabling registration of .pl domain names as well as a series of functional and regional domains". Source https://dns.pl/en/history.

The price I indicated in my post is the price for registrars.

Also, the support girl, after my question "why it’s so expensive?", offered me a 40% discount. What makes me think that the price may be different.

All the Best,

Daniel

Super User III
Super User III

@shepilovdaniel 

I can only give you an answer based on a little over a decade of experience. You are free to do as you wish. Have a wonderful day.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community