cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

A record not propagating

Although I have had my domain name registered with GoDaddy for many years, I have never had an A record, because I was using a static IP address to access my website.  My website is not hosted by GoDaddy.

Recently, I changed that static IP address (different server) and decided to create an A record for it.  See screenshot below.  Although, as you see, I made that change over 86 hours ago, it has not propagated, as you can see by pinging that domain name.  Anything I am missing here?

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.48.04 AM.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: A record not propagating

Hi @stevemaury. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! In order for your primary A Record to work, you'll want to change the host field (shown as Name in your screenshot) from gunroom.org to @. That should cause the domain to point to your IP address. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank you.  Did that and the A record has propagated.  However, I would appreciate some advice on how to configure the CNAME entry so that mail.example.com will be resolved by the DNS.

Disregard.  I figured it out and mail.example.com now propagates.

Capture.PNG

I have added the A record with proper name opticare pointing to another IP address. But after waiting for 24 hours, it's still not propagating. Please help me out.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @malimohamed. Based on the screenshot you provided, it looks like you've set up the A Record correctly. If your other records are resolving but the one for "opticare" isn't, then I'd suggest connecting with our customer care team. There may be an issue with the domain's zone file, which is where these settings are saved. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Capture.PNG

Hello,

I also have this problem. Have a staging instance of our website, (migrating to wordpress/woo from shopify) and have the A record pointing to the new host,. It has been 5 days and it still hasn't propagated.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @WickedMick. Thanks for posting. Without the domain, I wouldn't be able to test what you're seeing. However, if you do a DNS lookup for the domain and you're not seeing that IP as its A record, then you'll want to connect with our customer care team so they can have a look. If you are seeing the IP change but not the website, then you'll want to try clearing your browser cache