cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

Adding DNS Hosting

I'd like to host a domain which is owned by a friend who has their own separate GoDaddy account.

When trying to add the domain without the "www." I get the error:
There was an error processing your request. Please try again.

When trying to add the domain with the "www." I get the error:
This domain is owned by someone else or in a different shopper account.

If she trys to transfer the domain to my account, she gets the following errors:

• You selected 1 domain(s) that are not eligible to be transferred.
  • You selected 1 domain(s) with privacy attached. Those domains can't retain the existing contact information. The new owner will need to provide new contact information.

I have done this process many times in the past, so am unsure what the errors mean, and how to fix them.

Thank you for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mattearlyLike I said "DNS Hosting" is not for domains registered or hosted with GoDaddy.  Rather you would add the domain in your hosting plan, then in the domain account point it to the IP address for your hosting.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-my-websites-ip-address-in-my-linux-hosting-account-16112

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Super User IV

@mattearly 

Can your friend give you delegated access to their account so you can manage the domain without transferring it?

Depending on when it was purchased etc it maybe locked for 60 days.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281 The domain was purchased Wednesday

@mattearly 

I'm pretty sure there is a 60 day lock before you can transfer it between accounts but using delegated access you can get into your friends account without needing their password

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@mattearly   The domain can not be transferred yet, but your friend can point the domain or grant you access to do so.  Where are you trying to point the domain?  The product called 'DNS Hosting' is for domains that wouldn't otherwise be in the GoDaddy ecosystem, a domain registered or hosted with GoDaddy does come with DNS but it's managed differently.  You would still be able to point the domain directly to a GoDaddy hosting plan, or that from another provider.

@PL281 I think that the 60 days is for transfer only, no?

@Nate I am trying to set up the DNS, but it isn't allowing me to (as per my original message) due to the various errors. The site I made for them is actually within my hosting, as it's own directory.

@mattearlyLike I said "DNS Hosting" is not for domains registered or hosted with GoDaddy.  Rather you would add the domain in your hosting plan, then in the domain account point it to the IP address for your hosting.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-my-websites-ip-address-in-my-linux-hosting-account-16112

View solution in original post

@Nate I have the IP and setup the domain within my hosting, but how does one point a domain to an IP?

The domain registration already comes with DNS, but it is in your friends account.  They can change it or grant you Delegate Access so you can do it.