cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Adding Nameserver for subdomain

I have a domain (abc.com) that was bought from godaddy, however I would like to set NS for subdomain (sub.abc.com).

Now, NS for abc.com were, for instance, ns1.digitalocean.com and ns2.digitalocean.com and want to setup NS for sub.abc.com to, for instance, ns1.aws1.com ns2.aws2.com.

For this I tried setting them all four together in godaddy NS setting under Manage DNS. But the problem arises when I try to execute command "dig NS sub.ab.com" which gives random status.

Either it's givinig status: NXDOMAIN

dig NS sub.abc.com
----
->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 56202 ---- ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1 ----- ;; AUTHORITY SECTION: abc.com. xxx xx SOA ns1.digitalocean.com. xxxxx.xxxx.xxx. xxxxx xxxxxxx ----

Sometimes, it does gives the correct status (status: NOERROR)

dig NS sub.abc.com
---
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 21716
----
;; ANSWER SECTION:
sub.abc.com.	172385	xx	NS	ns1.aws1.com.
sub.abc.com.	172385	xx	NS	ns2.aws2.com.
---

Kindly help on what am I missing?

6 REPLIES 6
Solution

Re: Adding Nameserver for subdomain

Hey @varunnayal,

DNS management for domains registered through our services will only you to set nameservers for the root domain. Even if the domain was pointing to our own nameservers, the most you would be able to do is specific zone records for the subdomain to resolve to another location via either A or CNAME zone files. 

Although, based on what you've described, sounds like you're pointing to another host for the root domain. You may want to check with the host provider to see if their DNS management allows for specifying a separate set of nameservers for subdomain records. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Yes you got it right that I am pointing to another host for root domain and using AWS Route53 for that which allows you to set up NS for a subdomain while root domain being registered with other. This makes me unable to use either of A Record or CNAME!!!

Was this ever figured out? I am having the same problem.

Me too

I am having the same problem too. Makes GoDaddy pretty useless when it comes to doing anything beyond basic static sites on AWS S3. Disappointing!

I'm looking to do the same thing.