cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
ItsFrisky
New

Buying a Domain that someone else owns

I want to buy a domain that someone else owns, I looked up who owned the domain using whois and I got the owners info, I contacted the owner and he told me he sold it. The current owner has the info of the previous owner as the whois, so I have no way of getting in contact with the new owner. I reported the domain as a invalid whois and I thought that if the owner didnt update the info it would get suspended and then put in auction, I asked godaddy support and they told me that was not true. They told me only way I would get in contact with the owner is by buying the domain buy service for $69.99. The most I am willing to buy the domain for is 50$ Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nate
Super User I

Yes, that fee goes to the Domain Buy Service.  You would also need to pay what the current owner agrees upon to give you the domain.

You could try asking nicely for the previous owner to pass your info on to the current owner.  Or even wait until the current owner updates their whois information.

Though if it is a desirable domain that has already been sold aftermarket they may want considerably more then you want to pay.

It is unfortunate, but finding a different domain may be your only option.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nate
Super User I

Yes, that fee goes to the Domain Buy Service.  You would also need to pay what the current owner agrees upon to give you the domain.

You could try asking nicely for the previous owner to pass your info on to the current owner.  Or even wait until the current owner updates their whois information.

Though if it is a desirable domain that has already been sold aftermarket they may want considerably more then you want to pay.

It is unfortunate, but finding a different domain may be your only option.

View solution in original post

Hi, i have a website that i would like to build, and have settled on a domain name which i like. The domain is already taken. However, i clicked on the link to have the option to buy the domain. I am taken to the checkout page with an additional fee, which i understand.

What i don't understand.. when i searched the url address, a website similar to my niche was already live. How is it that i am being sold a domain name that is currently being used?

Will their website no longer be active once i purchase the domain name? Will there be a chance in the future where they try to get the name back from me? How do i check if the domain name has any bad associations? 

I hope someone can lessen my confusion. Thank you in advance!

@jimmybricks, you say "website similar to my niche" and that implies that the domain is not the same. If it is the same domain name then ignore that comment.

Assuming it is the same domain name then the next question for you to answer is if that is a scam. I can't answer that.

Assuming you purchase the domain name, if it is a valid purchase, then you will be able to change the nameserver in the registration. That is what determines more than anything else what the domain shows when it is browsed to. Assuming you have GoDaddy hosting then you will add the domain to your GoDaddy hosting and then the domain name in GoDaddy will tell you what the nameservers should be. There are always at least two nameservers and for GoDaddy there are just two. After changing the nameservers there might be a few other changes to the DNS configuration and then after a few hours the domain name will show whatever web site you put into it.

There's a domain that I want to buy and it has expired on 27th December 2016.

When I check whois, it says that it will be deleted on 28th March 2017. Quite soon. 

How do I actually buy it? What happens when the domain gets deleted? Can I buy it from GoDaddy? 

There is a period of time where you may be able to recover the domain from your account and pay a redemption fee. 

https://www.godaddy.com/help/recovering-expired-domain-names-5018

alternatively if that does not work the best way to try and re acquire the domain is to place a back-order on it for 20.00 which means once it is re-released you will be the first to acquire it assuming no other party already has a back-order in which case it would go to auction. 

Mike L. | WebPro