Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
DW7000
Getting Started

Can't change A record - no pencil icon

Hi! I'm trying to change the A record for airingtonlaw.com but I don't have a pencil icon.

The previous website developer transferred the URL to me (the new web developer). I am trying to change the A record to point to the new site, but I don't have a pencil icon next to the A record to be able to change it.  It looks like the NameServers are still being hosted by GoDaddy (ns43.domaincontrol.com
ns44.domaincontrol.com).

The customer service tech I spoke to said she thought the URL was still "connected" to another site, but I don't understand what she means by that. I don't have access to the previous site, and If the nameservers are godaddy, shouldn't I be able to change the A Record in GoDaddy?

Thanks! 

After some more research, I think this is the sequence of what happened:

1. First web developer developed site (ccilattorneys.com)

2. First web developer registered a secondary URL (airingtonlaw.com)

3. First web developer set up a 301 Forward from airingtonlaw.com to ccilattorneys.com

4. I developed website for airingtonlaw.com  on a development server

5. First web developer transferred ownership of the airingtonlaw.com URL to me, which I want to point with an A record to the new site

6. The 301 redirect is still in place. I have no ability to remove it, though, because the forward does not show up on the Forwarding section of my Domain Settings page (probably because it was created by the previous developer before he transferred it to me).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nate
Super User II

If a template is applied there should be a note right above the DNS records, with a button to remove.  If you don't have that I'd suggest contacting support so they can look into it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Nate
Super User II

If the domain is forwarded that would need to be removed before the DNS can be edited.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/delete-my-domain-forwarding-19979

DW7000
Getting Started

Thanks. Unfortunately, the forward isn't showing up on the Forwarding section of my Domain Settings page. The 301 forward was set up by the previous developer, then he transferred ownership of the URL to me. The Forwarding section just says Domain Forwarding Not Set Up. I just updated my original post with more details on the sequence of events.

DW7000
Getting Started

Also, I was able to add a second A record, pointing to the correct site, so it does seem to work now as far as http:; but the original A record is still there and I can't remove it. 

Nate
Super User II

If a template is applied there should be a note right above the DNS records, with a button to remove.  If you don't have that I'd suggest contacting support so they can look into it.

View solution in original post

DW7000
Getting Started

Thanks. Yeah, there is no template listed. I held for an hour with tech support yesterday. When I finally got someone, all she did was read pre-scripted lines that had nothing to do with the problem. I couldn't get through the language barrier to get her to understand the issue and she declined to escalate. I guess I might have to try again. Sigh...

DW7000
Getting Started

Called again and got a much more helpful rep. He was able to remove the other A record. Thanks for your help @Nate!