cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Change nameserver, what ip address to enter?

what is required ip address when changing nameserver?

where actual manual, how change nameserver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Re: Change nameserver, what ip address to enter?

Hi @whatthe,

Welcome to the Community!

If you're using third-party DNS (like digital ocean), GoDaddy can't advise you as to the IP addresses they are using on the hosting they're providing. You are then hosting your DNS elsewhere. You may want to verify with the hosting provider that the nameservers you wish to use are valid.

If you want to use GoDaddy nameservers (default setting) you can enter the IP address of the hosting in the A Record of the DNS hosted at GoDaddy. If you wish to use a third-party for nameservers, you can change them using the instructions here.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User II
Super User II

@howitworks 

When changing name servers, you generally just enter the "domain" ns.NEWSERVER.COM and NS2.NEWSERVER.COM

The only time you need to enter an IP address is if you want to host your own DNS and you need to put the in the "Hosts"

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

1.png

Hi @howitworks,

Your best option will be to contact customer support for Digital Ocean in order to confirm the IP address for the servers in use there. 

You Said...The only time you need to enter an IP address is if you want to host your own DNS and you need to put the in the "Hosts"....  WHAT?  I just want to change my NS have done it for 15 years without asking for an IP.  Am I missing something?   Sorry for my ignorance.  I just don't understand why all of a sudden I have to provide an IP address 

Solution

Hi @whatthe,

If you're using third-party DNS (like digital ocean), GoDaddy can't advise you as to the IP addresses they are using on the hosting they're providing. You are then hosting your DNS elsewhere. You may want to verify with the hosting provider that the nameservers you wish to use are valid.

If you want to use GoDaddy nameservers (default setting) you can enter the IP address of the hosting in the A Record of the DNS hosted at GoDaddy. If you wish to use a third-party for nameservers, you can change them using the instructions here.

View solution in original post

Here is a way to get the IP address of the company's nameservers you would like to add. For example I am using Uniregistry nameservers for my domains. I know their nameservers are ns1.uniregistrymarket.link and ns2.uniregistrymarket.link. Pull up a cmd prompt. Then ping each name server and it should give you back the ip address of the nameserver you are pinging. Even if the ping times out, it will give you the IP address it is trying to ping in the command window. See my example below. 

JasonFranklin_0-1577466995991.png