cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Changing goDaddy nameservers to AWS Route53

Hi, 

I have registered domain and hosting with goDaddy. Now I shifted my hosting to AWS but want my domain in the goDaddy. On AWS side i have added a Route53 entry with my domain name and extracted nameservers from there which i have already added (did not remove the previous entries as it donot allow me to remove) in my goDaddy DNS Management > Nameservers entries. The issue is when i hit the domain url sometimes it redirects to the AWS hosting server and sometimes it redirects to AWS server. I think its the previous nameservers that creating issue. Please tell me how and where am i doing wrong? Screenshort attached of the installed nameservers. Screenshot from 2017-08-16 13_36_50.png

8 REPLIES 8
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Changing goDaddy nameservers to AWS Route53

Hi @NoufEisa, welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Can you post your domain name?

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo Smiley Happy
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution Smiley Very Happy

@jpablo Thank you, It's www.urbanmoon.com 

Helper VI
Helper VI

@NoufEisa as you can see here, there are servers that didn't received the update yet.

DNS changes can take some time in order to propagate correctly.

Some servers show 52.59.240.251, and others 166.62.42.61.

Give it some time to fully propagate.

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo Smiley Happy
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution Smiley Very Happy

@jpablo But what about previous nameservers? Should i need to remove them/change the ip addresses or they'll be updated automatically?

I have this question too - do I need to remove the reference to the GoDaddy nameservers? It seems like I should!

Solution

Yes, once you create the Hosted Zone and then setup the necessary recordsets in Route 53 (from your GoDaddy domain Records) you are ready to make the switch.

At that point you can change your domain nameservers in GoDaddy to the NS nameservers in your Route 53 hosted zone. (there's likely 4 of them)

Highlighted

I have the static website hosted on S3 which is displaying correctly using the Amazon s3 link.

As per Amazon docs, I created two buckets, example.io & www.example.io. The example.io has the content (files) for the website; the www.example.io bucket is redirecting to the phlo.io bucket.

I am trying to configure Godaddy Apex domain DNS settings to redirect to the S3 bucket. As an example, the domain is http://example.io & I entered the settings in Godaddy domain DNS in the following form:

Type: CNAME
Name: www
value: example.io.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com
TTL: 1 hour

However, this didnt work. Then as per advice from someone, I stored the files in 'www.example.io' bucket, and redirected the 'example.io' bucket to the 'www.example.io' bucket. In godaddy, I set the 'forwarding' option to 'www.phlo.io'.

However, none of these are working. Please advise.

Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Yes, for a CNAME you would need to use www and forward example.io to www.example.io.

Changes to the DNS can take 1 - 48 hours to resolve.