cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

DNS Type A Can't edit, forwarded to some Link Shortener Website

Why am I unable to delete an unknown ip-address that my domain forwards to? When trying to access my server I get, This server could not prove that it is www.thehighlighthub.com; its security certificate is from shortener.secureserver.net . 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: DNS Type A Can't edit, forwarded to some Link Shortener Website

Hi @TheHighlightHub, thanks for posting.

Could you clarify what exactly you were having trouble with? Were you trying to remove forwarding, or were you seeing this error when you tried to visit your forwarded domain?

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

I was able to fix it. While troubleshooting, I didn't understand why forwarding to my server created a DNS Type A record that I couldn't edit (Address pointed to GoDaddy URL shortener). 

Thanks for following up @TheHighlightHub.

To use Forwarding, the domain name must point to a specific IP address. Otherwise it wouldn't be connected to the forwarding service. It sounds like this was the source of the confusion.

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

how did you fix it though?

Highlighted
Solution

Hi @niyando

Welcome to the Community!

If you are forwarding a domain, the A record is required to be a certain IP address and cannot be edited. If you wish to change the A record, simply delete the forwarding command (the A record will then show a pencil icon for editing), You'll be able to connect directly to the hosting server by inserting that server's IP address.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support