cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain Expired, Cancelled, then taken by HugeDomains, then blocked access to email for past years.

So I had a domain from a LONG time ago in my account (and associated with an older CC that had expired).

Got an email (they say I got 3) saying "Product Failed Billing Notification" 

expired 11/24 figured I'd had till first of the year 2-3 months afterwards to pay a fee of 80 bucks and still be able to be all set. (didn't happen that way).

my next email was 12/25 yes christmas "The enclosed items have been cancelled"

yup, they removed the domain from my account.

I called them 26th or 27th when I had time considering the holidays and power outtages we were having in the northeast... and they told me this is what happens.

1.) you get 3 email reminders. (120 days, 60 days, 30 days before)

2.) then they take your domain from you and you have a redemption period, pay 80 bucks penalty some people say 15 days others say 30 days, they themselves are confused.

3.) Then it's supposed to go to "auction" and you should be invited.

4.) Caveat is if someone has it back ordered, then they have priority in the auction, and you are not even invited to auction your own domain (so they told me).

Worst part... the domain is not a "highly desired one, ... it's a client/friends LASTNAME.com and the name of his business.....

I find out it's hugedomains.com they wanted roughtly 2,000 for the domain I didn't pay 8.99-12.99 renewal.

THAT IS A SCAM IN MY BOOKS OR ANYONE ESLES BOOKS..... 

THAT IS PRETTY MUCH THE DEFINITION OF CYBERSQUATTING A DOMAIN FOR RANSOME!

and the kicker is I think godaddy.com and hugedomains.com have a conflict or some type of arrangement financially speaking, just don't know how quite yet.

Could GODADDY had contacted me to switch my cc to an active one and be good (YES)< but they aren't required, nor did they and it's my responsibility to keep up with it.

Could I have been invited to auction my own domain for the past so many years that I purchased? Sure, but not their responsibilities.

I am wondering if we can get a class action lawsuit from exactly this behaviour since I have read it happens on more than a few occasions with clear non-assistance from customer support staff.

They probably get incentives if you lose something and pay a ton to get them back.

OK IF I inspired some sympathy and your still reading this brace yourself for something that will curl your toes and make you angry.  

I have 5 email accounts that I have also been paying for that have roughtly 4gig of imap emails in them from my friend/client (his partner, the secretary, and another employee).

I wanted to move the mail to the new domain.

guess what they said... 

I WILL NEVER HAVE ACCESS TO THE MAIL UNLESS I HAVE ACCESS TO THE DOMAIN.....

-can't change the domain

-can't move it to another account

-can't download it.

-they can't save it on a drive and send it to me as a backup

NOTHING....    Tell me this is not fishy in every way....

Enough said .... sadly this is entirely true.

1 REPLY 1
Rockstar II
Rockstar II
Solution

Re: Domain Expired, Cancelled, then taken by HugeDomains, then blocked access to email for past year

@BostonAreaTechi wrote:

So I had a domain from a LONG time ago in my account (and associated with an older CC that had expired).

Got an email (they say I got 3) saying "Product Failed Billing Notification" 

expired 11/24 figured I'd had till first of the year 2-3 months afterwards to pay a fee of 80 bucks and still be able to be all set. (didn't happen that way).

my next email was 12/25 yes christmas "The enclosed items have been cancelled"

yup, they removed the domain from my account.

I called them 26th or 27th when I had time considering the holidays and power outtages we were having in the northeast... and they told me this is what happens.

1.) you get 3 email reminders. (120 days, 60 days, 30 days before)

2.) then they take your domain from you and you have a redemption period, pay 80 bucks penalty some people say 15 days others say 30 days, they themselves are confused.

3.) Then it's supposed to go to "auction" and you should be invited.

4.) Caveat is if someone has it back ordered, then they have priority in the auction, and you are not even invited to auction your own domain (so they told me).

Worst part... the domain is not a "highly desired one, ... it's a client/friends LASTNAME.com and the name of his business.....

I find out it's hugedomains.com they wanted roughtly 2,000 for the domain I didn't pay 8.99-12.99 renewal.

THAT IS A SCAM IN MY BOOKS OR ANYONE ESLES BOOKS..... 

THAT IS PRETTY MUCH THE DEFINITION OF CYBERSQUATTING A DOMAIN FOR RANSOME!

and the kicker is I think godaddy.com and hugedomains.com have a conflict or some type of arrangement financially speaking, just don't know how quite yet.

Could GODADDY had contacted me to switch my cc to an active one and be good (YES)< but they aren't required, nor did they and it's my responsibility to keep up with it.

Could I have been invited to auction my own domain for the past so many years that I purchased? Sure, but not their responsibilities.

I am wondering if we can get a class action lawsuit from exactly this behaviour since I have read it happens on more than a few occasions with clear non-assistance from customer support staff.

They probably get incentives if you lose something and pay a ton to get them back.

OK IF I inspired some sympathy and your still reading this brace yourself for something that will curl your toes and make you angry.  

I have 5 email accounts that I have also been paying for that have roughtly 4gig of imap emails in them from my friend/client (his partner, the secretary, and another employee).

I wanted to move the mail to the new domain.

guess what they said... 

I WILL NEVER HAVE ACCESS TO THE MAIL UNLESS I HAVE ACCESS TO THE DOMAIN.....

-can't change the domain

-can't move it to another account

-can't download it.

-they can't save it on a drive and send it to me as a backup

NOTHING....    Tell me this is not fishy in every way....

Enough said .... sadly this is entirely true.

@BostonAreaTechi A class action lawsuit wouldn't do anything for you. If I don't pay my rent or mortgage for 2-3 months I'll get evicted or my house would go into foreclosure. Just because you assumed that you had 2-3 months to recover the domain name didn't mean that you had 2-3 months. Domain names are dropped from the central registry 45 days expiration for registrars that do not auction them. In this case, the domain name went to auction 31 days after expiration, they do not invite you to the auction nor should they have to. If you feel this strongly about the domain why didn't you just renew it when you received the 1 or 3 emails instead of assuming? After the 31 day period you gave up all ownership rights to the domain name. When you received the "failed billing" email that was Godaddy informing you that your credit card had expired and that they couldn't renew the domain name. 

----

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I