cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
rxnni
Skilled

Domain Forwarding w/Masking & Subpages

When I set up forwarding w/masking,  it worked like a charm.

Only problem is when I have a HTML button or a new page in the page list area, it keeps the masked url ONLY, without the /subpage showing up in the URL bar. 

Is there a way to fix this? Can I mask myDomain.weebly.com/about as myDomain.com/about? I'm using Weebly, BTW.

EDIT: If not, would subdomains verses pages be better? i.e. myDomain.com/volunteer would be volunteer.myDomain.com? I know I can mask different pages as subdomains... but it would suck for search engines. Ideas?

4 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Artisan Pro Community Founder Artisan
Pro Community Founder Artisan

Re: Domain Forwarding w/Masking & Subpages

Okay, let me remember my shorthand @rxnni... w/ is with so you are using Domain Forwarding with Masking. Do not use Domain Forwarding with Masking for far too many reasons than I will list here, just don't do it. 

I understand that domain masking is a way of making those unsexy URLs sexy but you are getting into more trouble than the benefit? When you say "I'm using Weebly" I am assuming that you are only using the free version? I'd say point forward your myDomain.com (without masking) to myDomain.weebly.com and not worry about the masking. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

rxnni
Skilled
Solution

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply and your advice. Unfortunately, that wasn't quite the answer I was looking for -

I am using the free version of Weebly (otherwise I could just connect my domain). With a few bits of code, I was able to hide the Weebly favicon and footer (aka all the branding).  Additionally, by creating "external" pages I was able to point the URL as subdomains - like the about page would be accessed via about.myDomain.com OR myDomain.com/about. This means I'd be able to share myDomain.com/about and it would be accessible, but if the user selects a different page, it would open a new tab and appear as page.myDomain.com. This way it completely solves my problem of "unsexy" URLs.

Frankly, I have zero complaints, and don't fully understand why you say simply to "not do it". I understand it is infinitely better to just pay the $15/mo to connect the domain, but for a startup/organization that cannot afford this, masking is a perfect solution - even more so if there's only one page.

Would like to hear your feedback on this?

Ronnie

Pro Community Founder Artisan Pro Community Founder Artisan
Pro Community Founder Artisan

I don't know if any of this matters but if you use domain forwarding with masking:

• visitors are not able to see the direct addresses of the pages that they are visiting on a webpage, which means they are not able to bookmark or share specific sections of a website.
  • cloaked URLs have negative effects on a website’s search engine rankings
  • cloaked URLs pose a security threat

As I said before I understand wanting to make unsexy URLs sexy. I also understand the economy of a new business. That being said my advice would still be Do not use Domain Forwarding with Masking.

I'm sure that you are aware that in your Weebly terms of service there is a portion about removing or disabling links. I would not advise that the footer be manipulated to hide the Weebly branding or advise anyone else to do so. My basic view is that your efforts should be to conform to the Weebly terms and use  or to use another process for producing your website.

You already have a domain I would go with GoDaddy Basic hosting, since you only have a single domain to host. I don't guess that you would have to spend more that $50/year for starter hosting and it would greatly ease your time commitment. I often find that time is my most important consideration when selecting a hosting solution. I tend to not waste time cramming a square beg in a round hole. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

I've noticed that the masking is done via iframe and for me, this breaks my responsive media queries.

The mask header is missing <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

So the mobile device browsers will not interpret the media queries from the iframe. 

Please advise.