cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Employee

Domain Name vs. Website

Just curious... what's the difference between a having a domain name and having a website? Or is there no difference between the two (i.e., they're synonymous)?

4 REPLIES 4
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

GoDaddy has a great video about this.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-the-difference-between-a-domain-name-and-a-website-16574

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

This depends on your interpretation, but this is what I usually tell my clients. 

There's a fairly large difference between having a domain name and a website. Generally, a domain is just that. It's a space on the internet, similar to an address for a proposed development for a house.

There hasn't been a house developed on this lot quite yet. Let's assume PHP is the framework, HTML is the drywall and layout, css is the paint and decor, and Javascript is the appliances/utilities. 

A website will have all the fixens' for a house. It will have the framework, walls, decorations and appliances and utilities. Generally, when somebody refers to a website, they are referring to the address + the house. 

I have an article with pictures here. 

Does that make sense? 

Helper VI

My way of explaining it is:

Website is the content(pages of a book)

Domain is the book cover...

You can have a domain without owning a website(you can use it for emails and stuff)

You cant have a website without a domain(Unless you want to use IPs)

BTW, I'm not talking about local domains

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
Helper I

With all respects to the previous offerings, your domain name is your website.

Bless!