cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain & website hosted on GoDaddy, email hosted elsewhere. MX Record setup help.

I'm kind of new to this area of computing so bear with me.

Our domain is hosted with GoDaddy and we have a website ready to go live on GoDaddy, but our name servers currently point to our email provider, Suddenlink.

In order for the website to work, we have to switch to GoDaddy name servers.   When we did that, our email (surprisingly but obviously) ceased to function, so we switched it back for the time being.

I wish to continue to use Suddenlink for our company email and understand that we need to set up an MX record in order to have email point to Suddenlink's mail server.  What information do I need from Suddenlink in order to accomplish this?

Having never done this before, my first attempts were failures.  So I decided to post here in hopes of getting some step-by-step instruction.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Domain & website hosted on GoDaddy, email hosted elsewhere. MX Record setup help.

Hey there @JimmyJoeJack,

Based on what you're telling us, you should ask Suddenlink for their MX record information. 

Suddenlink looks like an ISP. There current MX records for their own site are:

cscpppsin04.cablevision.com 
cscpppsin03.cablevision.com
cscpppsin02.cablevision.com
cscpppsin01.cablevision.com

My guess is it will be something similar that they give you.

I hope that helps!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: Domain & website hosted on GoDaddy, email hosted elsewhere. MX Record setup help.

You are correct, they are our ISP.

I emailed their tech support last week asking about MX record information, but they have yet to reply.  I don't know if their silence is an indication of ignorance or indifference.

I suppose a phone call might be in order....  Not looking forward to that at all.

Thanks.

Holy cow.    They just called me.

According to the surprisingly pleasant tech guy, their mx record is pretty simple.

mx.suddenlinkmail.com

So, to get this set up, I should just add an MX record  with "@" for the name and "mx.suddenlinkmail.com" as the value?

Or is there more that I need to do?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @JimmyJoeJack. Yes, that is what you'd want to do if that is your provider's MX record. Make sure you delete any other MX records as well so there is no confusion with the DNS. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I added the mx record and everything works now as it should.

Thanks for the input.

-James