cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Domain forwarding not working

I set up a temporary domain forward 12 hours ago and it still is not working. Help. 

15 REPLIES 15
Super User I
Super User I

Re: Domain forwarding not working

@Mbanes wrote:

I set up a temporary domain forward 12 hours ago and it still is not working. Help. 

@Mbanes forwarding can take 24-48 hours to update.

---

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I
New

OK...just a note. the message that appeared after I set it up said it could take a few minutes. Thanks...

Super User I
Super User I
Solution

@Mbanes wrote:

OK...just a note. the message that appeared after I set it up said it could take a few minutes. Thanks...

@Mbanes I've never seen a forwarding message which indicates that the forwarding will be complete within a few minutes. You can see more information here: https://www.godaddy.com/help/forward-a-domain-12123

---

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I

The domain forwarding I set up is not working. It's now been more than ten days. I’ve spoken with Go Daddy support and they say it is set up properly and works when they try it from their computer. However, it’s not working for me in Dallas, TX and I’ve called people in several locations around the country and it has not worked a single time. Each time it simply resolves to the search results page of the ISP and says the domain that was entered "does not exist". Then it displays a search results page for my URL (www.XXX.com). I'm not using masking.

I am frustrated and disappointed in the lack of empathy I’m getting from Go Daddy. They need a way of logging into other (non-Go Daddy) computers in other locations around the country so they can see what I’m seeing, but they refuse to do it. In my unprofessional opinion, I believe there is a problem propagating the change beyond the Go Daddy DNS servers.  

I just don’t know what else to do.

New

Have you been contacted or given a solution? I too am experiencing this - 5 days later. The problem is more so with Chrome. I deleted cache and history on my other browsers, but Chrome still won't work. I wonder if Godaddy even cares about this issue. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @CDA and @senator. Thanks for taking the time to post. If you can share the domain name in question, that can help others take a look at what's happening and perhaps offer a suggestion. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW I'm having the same issue for kazing.app. It is working for some browsers but not others. It works on safari, firefox, and edge but on chrome and opera it just times out

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @fhackenb. Forwarding with .app domains is a special case. This is because the registry for .app domains (Google) has decided that all app domains need to use HTTPS. Up to date browsers will usually redirect .app domains to HTTPS automatically due to this. Our forwarding service does not work with HTTPS currently, so this is why it produces an error on some browsers and not others.

If you want to redirect a .app domain to another website, then the best way to do that at the moment is by adding the .app domain to a hosting plan (usually the same one you're forwarding to) and installing your free SSL Certificate there. Then you can use a redirect on the hosting to load the website you're forwarding to. You may want to check with your hosting provider to see how to do that. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

You wrote rather explicit instructions:

If you want to redirect a .app domain to another website, then the best way to do that at the moment is by adding the .app domain to a hosting plan (usually the same one you're forwarding to) and installing your free SSL Certificate there. Then you can use a redirect on the hosting to load the website you're forwarding to.

You may want to check with your hosting provider to see how to do that.  

Since GoDaddy is my hosting provider, I'm checking with you: how do I actually do that?

By "that" I mean How do I implement these steps:

• installing my SSL Certificate somewhere in GoDaddy. Where?
  • use a redirect on the hosting to load the website you're forwarding to - aren't I already doing this? (and that's what's broken/unsupported by GoDaddy?)
  • I already have the .app domain registered at GoDaddy - or is there another step here?

Community Manager
Community Manager

By "that" I mean How do I implement these steps:

• installing my SSL Certificate somewhere in GoDaddy. Where?
  • use a redirect on the hosting to load the website you're forwarding to - aren't I already doing this? (and that's what's broken/unsupported by GoDaddy?)
  • I already have the .app domain registered at GoDaddy - or is there another step here?

Hi @DannyAtHMI. The answers to your questions would largely depend on how you're hosting your site. If you can share the domain you're trying to forward and the site you're forwarding to, as well as what kind of hosting you have, that would help. 

I'm dealing with yourcopy.app which is being redirected to our AWS server

Community Manager
Community Manager

@DannyAtHMI If you have hosting with AWS, then you'll want to make sure it is set up to host or redirect yourcopy.app. Then you'd need to point the domain to the hosting either by updating the domain's nameservers to point to AWS or updating its primary A record to point to the IP of the server. Then you'd install your certificate on AWS. Essentially, you wouldn't use our forwarding service if you want to redirect a .app domain. That will need to be done using a server redirect since .app domains require an HTTPS connection. I hope that helps. 

New

"Our forwarding service does not work with HTTPS currently, so this is why it produces an error on some browsers and not others."

Is this still the case, that GoDaddy's domain forwarding with masking does not support https?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JimO. That's correct. Though, to provide context, the forwarding service has never worked with inbound HTTPS requests. This is because such requests require an encrypted connection, usually provided by an SSL Certificate for the domain receiving the request. Since no SSL is installed on the server for the forwarded domain, the HTTPS connection cannot work. Since the push to move all sites to HTTPS is now in full swing, our developers are looking into making this a possibility, but I have no information on if or when that functionality will be added to the free forwarding service. 

@JesseW  can you please visit disneyassociates.com and advise to why it is not properly forwarding to stacydisney.com via Chrome? 

The forward has been setup last Friday, so almost a week ago. History has been removed, cache cleared, still no luck.

Via wifi on Chrome, redirect does work though. Any insight will be appreciated, thanks.