cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Domain threatened with suspension for false positive on McAfee database

I received an email message from GoDaddy today, threatening to suspend our domain. I called the help desk who said that GD relies on McAfee's SiteAdvisor (or trustedsource) database and will suspend our site in 24 hours because it appears in that database.

I was told that, unless we can get the URL removed from the McAfee blacklist within 24 hours of the original email message, GoDaddy would suspend the domain without further notice.

But it clearly states on McAfee's trustedsource.org that it can take days for them to correct such an error: "These requests will be addressed within an average of 3-5 business days with some requests requiring additional review and taking longer."

I'm dumbfounded that you will use an entry in what is clearly an unreliable data source to shut down a business on 24 hours' notice. Tell me this isn't so.

Please provide some assurance that you will not suspend our business-critical domain until we have had a chance to resolve the error at McAfee's end.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Domain threatened with suspension for false positive on McAfee database

@stephenbook 

Unfortunately, this isn't something we can help with here on the community boards. Most of us are end users like yourself and volunteer our time to try to help other users. We don't have backend account management access.

Your best course of action for a resolution would be to contact phone or livechat support for assistance.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I faced the same issue on my both websites MadrasSatta and ClapMeLoud.

Please, someone, help us.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Thanks MrVapor.

Just FYI, I contacted McAfee and they were surprisingly courteous and capable. They manually inspected our site, recognized their error and immediately removed our site from their blacklist.

But it seems the horse has bolted. GoDaddy has now shut down my site.

I called GoDaddy call center again and the person I spoke with said, sure, OK, so it's not on the blacklist but "our engineers" assure me that there's still phishing content on that page.

It took 40 minutes of discussion and getting escalated to a supervisor to finally get myself heard: there's no phishing going on. The issue is that the page has (a) an unusual URL link structure (for sound technical reasons) and (b) it's a login page, i.e. it asks for the visitor's email and password.

But surely they can't be taking down business websites because they require user login and have a longer-than-usual URL structure?

They told me to write to hostsec@godaddy.com who will get back to me within 72 hours.

I wrote and am waiting to hear back.

The ineptitude is mind boggling. This actually a business critical domain, providing services to paid corporate customers, whose users can't access their interfaces.

Any idea how I can get someone in this company to take this seriously?

My apologies for the ranting. We've spent a fortune getting this business online and now that customers have started using it, *blink*.

Cheers,

Stephen

I faced the same issue too on both of my websites Tricksbot and  Ytricks.

Help me Please.

Hi @tricksbot,

Welcome to the Community!

Please see the two responses above from @MrVapor and @stephenbook regarding this issue. Both offer actions you may take to resolve your issue. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support