cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting auto-renew to renew sooner

Is it possible to get auto-renew to renew sooner?

We are an MSP that manages a lot of clients with a lot of domains.   Our ticketing system automatically opens a ticket 7 days before a domain expires.   With domains registered elsewhere we just verify that it has auto-renewed and close the ticket.

Not so with GoDaddy domains.  We check it 7 days out and it has not renewed.   The ticket sits in our system until we can verify it has renewed.  Normally GoDaddy is not renewing these until the day they expire.  I've got one that expires today and it still had not auto-renewed, and it is 4 pm.   I can't leave here till it renews!

Is there any way to get these to auto-renew a couple weeks out?    It's a little nerve racking when we can't verify that it has renewed.

Thanks,

- Marc

6 REPLIES 6
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Getting auto-renew to renew sooner

I can guarantee that GoDaddy has no issue taking your money sooner @BroncoMarc. Typically you will find that to prevent billing issues GoDaddy will charge auto renewals 7 to 10 business days before the due date. What I would say is to ensure that there is a valid payment option and that the product is set to auto renew in the domain manager.

I know that you can call and say "charge me" but that would mean that you have to know the associated account credentials. My experience is that billing will hit at 12:01AM on the due date or before (depending on your time zone). Sorry that I couldn't offer more.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Well, the expiration date came and went and it did not renew.

About the guy complaining about it renewing 7-10 days before the expiration date, I WISH these domains would do that!   What's the difference?  You're still paying once a year.   I would rather have the peace of mind that it has renewed successfully.

Super User I

Sounds like you need to go in and check out the renewal settings @BroncoMarc
...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Looks like it did finally auto-renew...   Mid morning, the day AFTER it expired!

Hi, How about renew before expire? will it cause problem? Will the next expiry date is count when we renew or based on the actual expiry date?

Super User I

@moey5689 wrote:

Hi, How about renew before expire? will it cause problem? Will the next expiry date is count when we renew or based on the actual expiry date?

You can absolutely renew before your products expire. Perhaps it is the best practice to renew before your products expire as often you can use a coupon that gives you a bit of a discount. You will find that even a 15% discount can make a difference on your renewals as they are often billed annually or for several years at a time.

I think the apprehension in renewing products before they expire is people think they will generate new billing dates? The reality is if you have a domain that renews on October 17th annually and you pay for a 1 year renewal in September your billing date does not change to September.  The year you purchase is 1 year from your existing billing date so a renewal would always push your renewal out one year. My advice is renew when you have a coupon. Hope that helps?