cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

GoDaddy Domain blocked by Facebook, Instagram, and some random Coffee Shop wi-fi networks

Updates:

In comparing my previous url to the new one I found some differences I'm still trying to determine if they impact my issue.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.54.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.54.54 AM.png

Hello GoDaddy Community!  

I own a few domains purchased through GoDaddy.  Recently I updated my company's URL to a new domain I purchased from GoDaddy in September. 

The domain is associated with the same web page as the previous domain.  However Facebook, Instagram, and some random networks are blocking the Domain URL.  I have gone through several rounds of troubleshooting and verification as guided by GoDaddy and Facebook support with no success. 

At this point I have notified Facebook over 20 times via their developer.facebook debugging portal. No specific reason is given for blocking the URL other than saying it does not meet community guidelines.  Again, its the same Shopify store front that works with my previous URL. 

I've spoken to GoDaddy's support channels multiple times, each time they redirect me to facebook.  I spent time today talking to a GoDaddy supervisor asking for the issue to be escalated to their leadership as I am unable to leverage a GoDaddy product as I intended through these valuable marketing channels. 

I see there are several closed post regarding this same issue, most of them simply say email and wait, again I've done that 20 times over the last 3-4 weeks with no response. 

Today I've started pinging GoDaddy and Facebook leadership on Linkedin.  I'm hoping someone on these boards will have a solution.   I would hate to have to undo weeks time and money spent.

8 REPLIES 8
Super User III
Super User III

Re: GoDaddy Domain blocked by Facebook, Instagram, and some random Coffee Shop wi-fi networks

@Jay_Hawaii 

What is your domain name(s)? While I haven't specifically seen this happen myself, I know that there have been many fraudulent Shopify stores setup and then posted to facebook with links to deeply discounted (sometime not even really being sold yet) products.

Facebook is really where you would need to work this through as they are the ones doing the blocking.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: GoDaddy Domain blocked by Facebook, Instagram, and some random Coffee Shop wi-fi networks

Original working domain is 'needabeachday.com' points to a Shopify store front and worked well. 

New domain 'beachdayhawaii.com' points to the same store front and is blocked by FB, IG and some networks. 

Both sites have been verified by FB. I've loaded the relevant config txt to my domains to complete verification.   I can not display my new URL on FB or IG until this is resolved. 

Attempted to reply by via email and for some reason I'm blocked from responding to replies by email by this forum, so here's my reply below. 

Hey PL281- 

The Domain that isn’t working is BeachDayHawaii.com
its the primary domain for my storefront now, previously it was needabeachday.com… which worked without issue from day one and Facebooks Dev tools have scanned it and reported no issues. 
This new domain is just straight up blocked with no real indication of why.  

Shopify has no direction either. 
I just checked out mxtoolbox.com and I do see some differences between the two sites. 

Current

Previous

I’m still looking into these results to determine which ones I have control over that may have an impact on why FB is blocking the URL.

Thanks for taking a look at my post, any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.  I’m getting no where with support desk.

Jason

I would say I agree this is a Facebook issue, however my repeated attempts to get a response from FB (20 times over 3-4 weeks) have failed.  I see a trend on this community with blocked domains.  It reasons the the two companies should discuss this problem at a higher level as it is impacting GoDaddy's Domain products.  Because of this I can not recommend GoDaddy for Domain purchases because I can't fully leverage the products I've purchased.  Hence, this is a GoDaddy problem as well. 

Super User III
Super User III

@Jay_Hawaii 

First off  - very nice looking site - 

I don't believe this is a GoDaddy domain specific issue as I found posting from Wix as well - Other than the "Submit if this is wrong" I can't find anything else specifically to get it unblocked 

I submitted a request / saying it was wrong to be blocked - Very strange.

We in the community are end users just like you. My personal experience in working with multiple vendors on things like this is they really try as much as possible to stay in their own lane - I understand your point. I'll let some of my contacts at GoDaddy know about this post, but I don't believe they will be able to get this resolved much quicker than the Facebook form submission

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jay_Hawaii,  I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations you're experiencing with trying to get this domain unblocked by Facebook.  As you've already used the debugging tool and contacted Facebook directly, I wouldn't have any other suggestions on how to proceed further.  At this point the ball is truly in Facebook's court, and they would need to be the ones to take action to let you know why this is happening.  

As mentioned in the previous reply, this is situation experienced by many Facebook users, not just GoDaddy customers, and throughout all my online searching I have been unable to locate a concise, clear answer as to why this happens or how to proceed after the debugging tool suggestion has been followed.  If I come across any information that could shed more light on this, I'll be sure to update this thread with more details.  

I will be happy to pass along your experience through the proper channels on the GoDaddy side for review.  It's possible that we have other examples collected that could prompt an inquiry into how to prevent this from happening in the future.  

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.  

MPC

Super User III Super User III
Super User III

I have seen a few reports of this from people using different platforms for their website.  It may just be newly registered domains using a website builder.  As a human I can see that is a good domain, but to a bot it may seem to follow the formula of pop-up scams.  Facebook gets hit with a bunch of pop-up scams that just keep changing their name.  They are constantly tweaking their algorithms to identify the riff-raffs so there could have been a recent update that doesn't quite get it right.  They can not be 100% open about security measures or it wouldn't work, but it would be a matter of getting Facebook to see there is a problem here.  There are many GoDaddy customers who are not facing this issue, I am just not sure what the registrar could do.

Thank you MPC for your reply.  Yes.  Please raise this with your leadership.  I've attempted to reach out to various GoDaddy and Facebook leaders via linkedin as the support channels are not responsive or incapable of addressing this problem. 

It is unfortunate that GoDaddy does not disclose this with domain purchases and the lack of support around resolving these issues. 

As a technical person having worked in IT for decades this is the exact reason why people get frustrated with technology companies.  There is no ownership of the problem, simple finger pointing when a simple escalation path by support would alert senior leadership to a fairly easy resolution.  Call Mark. Update Blacklist.  

Beyond that there must be some way for GoDaddy to provide some indication that the URL they are purchasing stands at a higher risk for blacklisting due to historical usage.  IDK what that is, but I can't imagine with all the data Google, Facebook, etc. have they can't tell domain retailers.  As it is GoDaddy is selling domains its customers can't use.