cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
AJR
Novice

GoDaddy FAIL!!!!!! - Bought a domain and in 24hrs - 15+ new spam emails - 9 robocalls - 6 spam SMS's

This is not the first domain name I've purchased, I've owned dozens over the years... but this is the FIRST time this has happened with such frequency and inconvenience. 

I don't care if WHOIS is publicly available, GoDaddy MUST provide a free service to counter the increase in robocalls, spam mail, and spam SMS. I've received dozens in less than 24hrs of purchasing a domain name through GoDaddy. 

I've read the threads and GoDaddy passes the blame on 3rd parties and claims to have no control over this. I say that's a load of rubbish. GoDaddy should provide, as a FREE service, the ability to use an alias email and phone number for registrars. There is also no clear directions on how to go about removing one's information from robocallers once your WHOIS information goes public. 

I am seriously mad at GoDaddy for wasting my time having to deal with all this and having to write this post. And WHY must a phone number and email address be required in the first place. If it's a law then that has to change because robocallers and these spamming **bleep**tards are getting more sophisticated and ambitious. 

I really hope GoDaddy can address this problem so many people are having!!!!

3 REPLIES
GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor
Solution

Re: GoDaddy FAIL!!!!!! - Bought a domain and in 24hrs - 15+ new spam emails - 9 robocalls - 6 spam S

AJR wrote:

This is not the first domain name I've purchased, I've owned dozens over the years... but this is the FIRST time this has happened with such frequency and inconvenience. 

I don't care if WHOIS is publicly available, GoDaddy MUST provide a free service to counter the increase in robocalls, spam mail, and spam SMS. I've received dozens in less than 24hrs of purchasing a domain name through GoDaddy. 

I've read the threads and GoDaddy passes the blame on 3rd parties and claims to have no control over this. I say that's a load of rubbish. GoDaddy should provide, as a FREE service, the ability to use an alias email and phone number for registrars. There is also no clear directions on how to go about removing one's information from robocallers once your WHOIS information goes public. 

I am seriously mad at GoDaddy for wasting my time having to deal with all this and having to write this post. And WHY must a phone number and email address be required in the first place. If it's a law then that has to change because robocallers and these spamming **bleep**tards are getting more sophisticated and ambitious. 

I really hope GoDaddy can address this problem so many people are having!!!!

@AJR I can understand your frustration. I own several thousand domain names and frankly cannot afford to pay for privacy on all of them. Godaddy stated that they will be masking all whois information starting the 25th so the spam should stop after that (hopefully)!

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Domain-Investing/Whois-Masking-what-is-changing/m-p/88329#M788

--

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I

"Privacy Protection"

Since registering two new domains two days ago, I have had over two dozen calls and endless emails soliciting me for Website services, often the same caller (voice) and company. They will not take NO for an answer and this is now beyond harassment. This is the last time I use GD for domains. 

And No, I do not care what your privacy policy is for domains outside of the .COM naming schema. GD as a reseller of these domains should protect its clients from unwanted contact, not the vendors paying you for lists. 

Re: "Privacy Protection"

kevinpgreeley wrote:

Since registering two new domains two days ago, I have had over two dozen calls and endless emails soliciting me for Website services, often the same caller (voice) and company. They will not take NO for an answer and this is now beyond harassment. This is the last time I use GD for domains. 

And No, I do not care what your privacy policy is for domains outside of the .COM naming schema. GD as a reseller of these domains should protect its clients from unwanted contact, not the vendors paying you for lists. 

@kevinpgreeley Hi Kevin, I can appreciate your concern. As an owner of almost 2,000 domains I receive constant phone calls as well. Godaddy is implementing a new policy starting January 25th where they will mask the whois information for all whois databases other than Godaddy's which requires captcha authentication.

----

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I