cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Help with domain mapping — classic google site to new google site

Hello,

Today I finally made the jump to New Google Sites but I'm having trouble. Now if you search for "www.miguelvidaure.com" in your search bar it leads you instead to "https://sites.google.com/site/miguelvidaure" instead.

I already tried adding a CNAME record of www that points to ghs.googlehosted.com (it was previously ghs.google.com). However, it doesn't seem to be working. Do I have to wait some time for this to take effect?
Capture.JPG

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

PS: here's what happens when I try adding my domain as a custom url in new google sites:

Capture 2.JPG

14 REPLIES 14
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help with domain mapping — classic google site to new google site

Hi @mvidaure88. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It looks like you're using our forwarding service to point your domain toward its www variant. Instead of doing this, I recommend removing the forwarding, then changing your DNS settings to reflect what is shown in this Google help article (specifically section 3). That should help you get things up in running. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi @JesseW ! 

I really appreciate your response! Okay, I removed the forwarding (deleted CNAME for ghs.googlehosted.com) and then added the four Google IPs as A records.

How does this look? The STEP 3 says to enter your domain name in the format example.com ,but with GoDaddy we can just add the @, right?

• A@216.239.32.211 Hour
  • A@216.239.38.211 Hour
  • A@216.239.36.211 Hour
  • A@216.239.34.211 Hour

Right now going to www.miguelvidaure.com doesn't work, but I know that's expected since it can take between 24-48 for this to work... correct?

Also, will the fact that this A type already exists affect anything? 

A@184.168.131.241600 seconds

Thank you!
Miguel

Hi @mvidaure88,

The A record of 184.168.131.241 needs to be removed for your Google addresses to function. You will first need to remove the forwarding command on the domain (lower right under the DNS records). Once removed, you'll be able to remove that A record from the main DNS screen. 

https://www.godaddy.com/help/manage-dns-zone-files-680?

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Hi @TLH 

Thanks for the help! I removed the forwarding command and it looks as though the A record of 184.168.131.241 went away automatically after doing so. Are there any other records I need to worry about in order for my www.miguelvidaure.com site to finally work again?

Here's a look at all my records:

Type Name Value TTL Actions

A@216.239.32.211 HourEdit
A@216.239.34.211 HourEdit
A@216.239.36.211 HourEdit
A@216.239.38.211 HourEdit
CNAMEcalendarcalendar.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAMEemailemail.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAMEfaxfax.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAMEfilesfiles.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAMEftp@1 HourEdit
CNAMEimapimap.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAMEmailpop.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAMEmobilemailmobilemail-v01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAMEpoppop.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAMEsmtpsmtp.secureserver.net1 HourEdit
CNAME_domainconnect_domainconnect.gd.domaincontrol.com1 HourEdit
MX@smtp.secureserver.net (Priority: 0)1 HourEdit
MX@mailstore1.secureserver.net (Priority: 10)1 HourEdit
NS@ns37.domaincontrol.com1 Hour 
NS@ns38.domaincontrol.com1 Hour 
SOA@Primary nameserver: ns37.domaincontrol.com.

1 Hour

TXT@google-site-verification=KE_CICIC52OZAX1yT94EendzwT6G48A8K06l1kQVUZc1 HourEdit

Thank you,

Miguel

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mvidaure88. You'll actually need to keep the WWW CNAME that points to ghs.googlehosted.com. That is what will help the www version of your site resolve. Sorry for any confusion. You'll also want to make sure you remove the extra A record as @TLH mentioned. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi @JesseW 

No worries, thanks for the clarification. I guess now we wait 24-48 hours to see if typing mvidaure.com leads to that name and not the sites.google.com address.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mvidaure88 - It looks like the DNS settings are correct now. If you continue to have issues, you may need to further update settings within blogger to make sure it's set up for the URL you're trying to use. 

Hi @JesseW  and @TLH ,

It's been a few days and entering miguelvidaure.com still leads to my site but with the sites.google.com URL.

What other steps can I take to fix this?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hey @mvidaure88. I just noticed that you're referring to Google Sites instead of Blogger/Blogspot (I don't know how I missed this Man Sad). I think this process is a little bit different. Based on what I've seen, setting your www CNAME is still done the same. However, the IP addresses may not work to redirect your "naked" domain. Take a look at the steps in this Google article for information on that. Alternatively, you can use our forwarding service to redirect visitors from miguelvidaure.com to www.miguelvidaure.com. However, keep in mind that this won't work if your visitors try to go to the secure version (https://miguelvidaure.com) as our forwarding service does not accept requests over HTTPS. Very sorry for the confusion. 

Hi @JesseW 

It's okay!

That Google article doesn't help me because I don't have G Suit, so I can't sign in to an admin account, plus I've already added the IP addresses mentioned in step 7. Is there any other resource I can look into?

I'll admit, I'm surprised by how complicated and unreliable this process is. So my only option is to do that forwarding service in hopes that no one ever types my website address with https:// in front?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I signed up for a 14 day free trial of G Suit but it keeps failing to verify my domain. I guess it takes time? Does it matter that there are already two other TXT records along with the one they ask me to add? (which already existed, btw) (SEE ATTACHED IMAGE)Capture.JPG

Community Manager
Community Manager

@mvidaure88 - It looks like your TXT records are available online right now based on this check. Changes to DNS records can take time to spread throughout the internet (also known as DNS propagation). That may be why you weren't able to verify the domain before. If you're still having problems, you may want to try to connect to Google support. 

@JesseW  @TLH 

Thanks for the response Jess. So if I've got everything entered correctly then it's just a waiting game at this point? How long do I have to wait before everyone who types in miguelvidaure.com will actually see that URL?

Solution

Hello!

Well, problem solved! For the record, the people at Google were less courteous than you guys. In fact, they closed my topic before I even confirmed that my problem was solved! So I appreciate your patience!

At the end of the day, the final problem was that I didn't have my site set to shared with others — it's silly that it's even set that way to begin with, even after hitting published. Basically, on my site I had to press the icon of a person with a + in front of them and set the sharing to public.

Thanks again for all your help! Not sure what to set as the solution but hopefully others can see this topic figure things out too. ( :

Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad you were able to find a solution @mvidaure88. Thanks for coming back to let us know!